ESA Assessment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I had my medical assessment for ESA last Friday. I suffer from both mental and physical problems. They were running late that day so had to wait about 2 hours.

Anyway, once my assessment began, the lady asked me a lot of questions with regards to my mental heslth. She then said could I wait five minutes as she had to go and speak to someone in case i had to come vack , about five minutes late she came back and said it was ok I could just go and that she wasn't going to do a physical exam nor go into detail about my physical problems. She said I'll get a letter, but thought you always got a physical exam?, it just seems a bit odd to me. thank you in advance for any help and advice

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colacubes. Sounds good apart from the 2hr waite, but it"s over now. Hope you had it recorded. good luck.

• Posted

Hi, thankyou , yes was a long wait. unfortunately I never had it recorded. Is just the waiting on the letter now.
  • Posted

Hi,

I wonder if being able to wait for two hours will have any bearing on your physical and mental problems?

Seems to me that if you have certain mental health problems being able to stay in a waiting room surrounded by strangers

and noise and confusion could jeopardise you claiming for depression or anxiety, same with waiting two hours on your physical state , did you sit for the whole two hours?

Sometimes/most times you are under observation from the moment you set foot on the pavement outside the centres door, that pleasant person behind the desk is noting your every move as well as staff who are casually walking by. It's all part of the assessment.

Mike.

• Posted

I have just noticed your reply. I would agree that be it a mental or physical health problem, the ability to sit for two hours in a strange place does not in my opinion bode well.

​You are under constant observation whilst in the centre as well as when you arrive and leave.

​This is similar to what most people assume that you can say anything/do anything if you are spoken to by a police officer AND have NOT been cautioned beforehand. It is a myth that only what you say or do AFTER being cautioned can be recorded and may be used against you.

​The rule of thumb is that everything you say and do will be used against you whether you have been cautioned or not!!

​The same applies to assessments carried out for the DWP. You are being quietly assessed all of the time and NOT just after you go into the assessment room.

• Posted

Hi. My last ESA assessment on arival was told there"s a delay of an hour +. With that a woman bounded in and sat by me. She said they told her they had a cancelation on the phone and gave her the option of getting there in 15 mins. (Good or bad for her i don"t know) But 10 mins later she went in and that"s when i went to desk and complained. I could have had that spot.

• Posted

Poor ol you, having to wait for 2 hours, that is really bad in my opinion.

They didnt do a physical with me as the doctor who did the assessment could see that I was in a lot of pain.  I was with her for around 45 minutes and had to stand up ever so many times, she even fetched me a pillow to sit on.  She watched me walk to her room though, which was certainly less that 20 metres and I could not even manage that very well without help from my hubby, so I guess she could see what I was capable of. 

Now for the wait!!   I hope you get the outcome you deserve x

• Posted

My assessment said I didn't need a physical because I was into much pain she also said it would make it worse which it does when I have had pm examinations before

Hope it does not go against me xxxx

• Posted

Interesting scenario.

​I do wonder what would happen if you had put a brave face on and even in pain, walk that distance as normal as you could? (underplaying which is normally how most people would react including myself)

​On the other hand knowing what the maximum  possible pain you could have been in given the health problem, you tell the assessor that any distance is virtually impossible whilst appearing to be in extreme pain with each step? (overplaying the difficulty but knowing that no one can actually measure the true level of pain).

​As I have mentioned most people that I know that have difficulties would underplay their difficulties especially when being examined. I along with many others would not dream of sitting down with their GP and off load just how they truly feel.

​I believe that many would agree with me that you can guarantee that if you go to your GP with something minor it is almost guaranteed that they will find something else to test you for.

• Posted

I went last week to the GP just for confirmation that what I was suffering from was nothing more than a normal side effect to having Chronic Pancreatitis. I started to treat the problem myself with the drugs that I already have on prescription (just increasing the dose).

​By the time the GP had finished after having had my BP taken and a ruddy great finger up my b*m, I was told to get my blood taken that afternoon at the hospital and await contact from the hospital to have an Ultra Sound scan and a Endoscopthy into the stomach .No worry I thought until two days later I received an appointment letter from the hospital with a leaflet telling me the reason why it is such a quick turn round as they suspect prostrate cancer. Talk about overkill and wanting to find a reason for their existence - I had the same test done only 12 months ago!!!

Now waiting for the other appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.