ESA support group and just married, husband on low income

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i am wondering if anyone can help? I have just got married and husband has moved in witj me and 11 year old son. I was recieving ESA support group i just had a phone call from DWP ( today, sunday) saying i never told them of change of circumstances which i thought i had. How will my Esa be affected if hubby works 18hrs self employed?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If it's Income Related ESA then yes your partner working will affect your benefit. Anything over £20 per week and your ESA will be affected.

• Posted

Hi Denise is right.  However as you are in the support group of ESA and it is income basedI believe you will still keep some of it but you will lose some.  The rules on this are very complex and depend entirely on your circumstances so no one on here can work it out for you.  You will need to wait until the DWP has worked it all out,  then come back to us if you are unhappy with it.

Also have a look on the Gov.uk site.  Just google this and it will come up.  x

• Posted

That's not entirely true. If it's Income Based and Charlene's partner earns over the amount the law says they need to live on they will lose all the ESA even though she's in Support Group. The only way they could keep this was if it was Contribution Based ESA. xx

• Posted

Ah ok.  I just remember les saying that some of the support group is conts based even if the rest is IB.  I must have read it wrong.  x

• Posted

Some people in the Support Group get an IB top up of the premiums but of course this depends on household Income. You're right it's very complicated and you need a maths degree to work it out wink

• Posted

You are not wrong there Denise!  Thanks for the info,  as always you are so knowledgeable.  Bev x

• Posted

Hi Charlene. If your receiving contribution based. This won't effect your ESA at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.