ESA Support Group but need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I had a good result at tribunal, I'm in the ESA Support Group after the paper based tribunal. I was on WRAG for a long time but felt i should appeal. I also claim PIP. Will this be affected as well? I need to inform the DWP of a future change in circumstance as I want to move in with my boyfriend pretty soon. It is a completely different area to where I have lived all my live with my mum. What will happen to my benefits? They said from the tribunal the other day I shouldn't be reassessed until 24 months are up. Will i be reassessed or lose my benefits? He supports me and helps me. He is a carer for his mum and is on carer allowance. My issues are still the same which include social anxiety and autism. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If your partner is on benifiys you would have to claim as a couple.your pip wont be effected .nor will you being in the support group
  • Posted

Hi Angela

Your boyfriend’s carer allowance and your ESA won’t be affected. Indeed if you claim together you could actually qualify for an Income Support top-up providing you and he do-not have any other income streams and your joint savings are not above £6000.

PIP will not be affected whatever the circumstances. The only thing that affects PIP is your condition either improving or gets worse.

Your reassessment might be in as little as 12 months as the DWP tend to reassess 12 months BEFORE the due date.

Any reassessment would look for signs of improvement in your condition. If there are any you could possibly be moved to WRAG or JSA/UC. If there are none or your condition has become worse than before you would stay in the Support Group.

• Posted

Thank You Jackie and Anthony. I appreciate the information. I'm just really worried I might be reassessed again as I've only just had the tribunal to say I'll be in support group. My circumstances will change as I'll be treated as a couple. He claims carer allowance for his mum and helps me too. It will be a completely different area that's in Dorset rather than London where I live with my mum. I am planning to move there not next week but the week after. How should I broach this when I phone them? I was going to tell them the start of the week I'm planning to move and the new address etc. What are the chances of me being reassessed and am I preparing to tell them the right way? Thanks wink

• Posted

I would put it in writing and state clearly that your health status has not changed.

Was your mum your carer?

Also make sure you make copies of your letter and include all reference numbers dates of birth etc, state on letter at top that its a copy.

• Posted

Thank You Alexandria smile My mum accompanied me a lot and now my boyfriend is. She didn't actually claim carer allowance. I appreciate what you said about putting it in writing. I will certainly do that as well as phoning them to confirm. I'm just so nervous about the whole thing about reassessment and if somehow my benefits are stopped and what to do how to inform them etc.

• Posted

Also send in proof of your new address if you can, is this a permanent move
    • Posted

It is a permanent move but I don't think I have proof in terms of letters that I'm at the address yet. Do you mean if my boyfriend writes a letter to confirm this? Then I send something on with this such as a bank statement once I've registered in the area?

• Posted

Hi a bank statement or a letter from bank will do and send them all registered post so you have proof they were received.
    • Posted

Angela phone them on the day you ACTUALLY move then there is no room for error or unforeseen circumstances/changing of plans.

It is highly unlikely you will be reassessed for reporting a change of circumstances which doesn't involve your health or care needs. As advised by Alex also put this in writing and use recorded delivery.

• Posted

Thank You Anthony, I was thinking of doing just that and writing in the same day to confirm this. On that week I will inform the bank and let them know of my change of address and getting a letter from the bank to send on to ESA. I suppose what I'm concerned about is being assessed as a couple and the fact it is a completely different county and it for some reason I would be reassessed? I've had to spend time in the meanwhile getting to know the area I'm moving to so I hope this won't work against me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.