Escitalopram How long?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am now into my fifth week of escitalopram taking 10m daily for anxiety. At first the mornings were terrrible but for the past three weeks I feel as if I have drunk a gallon of coffee, my nervess system seems to be running too fast although everything I do is slow. I am a musical and playing is dificult and slow.I take Propranolol and diazepam to help with this which seems to put me make where I was before I started the escitaloram. I have a great loss of confidence which makes going out difficult.

Can I ask the forum, is escitalopram going to work for me and give me back my life and will this morning anxiety ( gallon of coffee) feeling go away. 

With thanks,  Geoff.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Geoff,

What time do you take your tablets? Do they stop you sleeping at all? If not maybe take them at night so the jitteriness has eased off my morning? Or split the dose 5mg morning and the same evening?

I was like that to start but about 3 weeks in now and feeling a lot better, I was taking diazepam and propranolol in the start to control side effects until u setec but found taking soo much just didn't work for me as they don't always mix so well.

Fingers crossed you feel better soon :-)

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for yours. I take it at night and sleep fine but the jitters can go on until lunch time and sometimes all day. I would have thought that into week fivee they would have gone away

• Posted

Yes they do normally settle - I stopped the propranolol and diazepam as sometimes if you take all at once they can do the opposite effect!

Maybe you need to up your dose of escitalopram a bit to control the morning anxiety? It could CE your dosage hasn't hit the spot yet? Is it easy to get to see your gp?

• Posted

Yes easy to see. I saw him last week, I am refered to a pychistrist.

I dont take the pills together. escitopram at night, either of the others as I need during the day.

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum I am starting 5mg Escitalapram but I'm really scared of side effects I have been on these before and when I did the floor was moving when j was walking

• Posted

Hi Geoff. I have been on escitalopram(now 15mg from 20mg) for several years now to control anxiety & depression & they work great for me. I am also on 1 80mg capsule of propranolol. I take my escitalopram & propranolol in the morning with or after breakfast. I was on half to 1mg nightly of lorazapem as my brain didnt use to switch off at bedtime & this combination worked great for me without making me feel groggy in the daytime. Maybe try changing the times you take them (like my pattern) & see if that helps, but give the escitalopram a fair chance for a couple of months - I do find it much gentler than other antidepressants I have been on in the past. good luck
  • Posted

I've been on Escitalopram now since Dec.13th @10mg. Only difference is 13-14 lb wt gain an sleepy! I take it @ night. I was told by 4 wks or 5, you would know if working. I have taken Zoloft(Sertiline?)before an after 4wks it was as though a lightbulb was switched on an I felt great. But sideeffects were diaherra an wt loss an liver enzymes went up a little but that could be fr adjusting to med. Have you tried Zoloft? Maybe a different antidepressant would be better. Im seeing my Dr an switching probably. Don't want to be fat! I have a bad back an have to watch my wt or Im n pain. Goodluck an God bless.

Zio

• Posted

Hi Zio,

I've been on Sertiline, didn't work am now on week five of escitaloram so hoping for the light bulb.   Thank you for your kind words

Geoff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.