Escitalopram weight gain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone out there starting on escitalopram and worried about weight gain!

I started on escitalopram in June and yes I have gained a little weight but compared to how I felt before the escitalopram I feel 100 times better and a little weight gain I can live with!

A lot of people blame the tablet but I don't, I just think where I was so nauseous amongst other things with my anxiety and my appetite was virtually non existent I lost about a stone and half but obviously as I felt better so did my appetite!

Please don't let it put you off with this medication as its great!

Thought it would be nice to here a positive post to anyone out there worried!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan  

i have gained weight too on Escitalopram but I feel so good. And now concentrating on eating less fat and trying to eliminate sugar. being anxiety free far outweighs a little weight gain!

• Posted

Yes Felis, I'm going to try and eat a bit more

• Posted

Sorry phone is playing up
    • Posted

Me too, when I am at Clomipramine and xanax i lose weight very fast but when my doctor switched me to Escitalopram and colanezapam I gained so much weight but my current meds helps me alot and its the best among all the medication given to me its just I gain weight which is bad I hate it but its okay I just think of the good side of it,, and oh , I dont get any side effects from it both,, just the gained weight thingy. over all its good smile

• Posted

I agree with you, Susan. As we begin to feel less anxious our appetite improves

I don't want to gain back all the weight I lost, so the trick for me

Is to weigh frequently and watch my portions if it starts going up. Feeling

Good is more important than weight, but if you can have both, so

Much the better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.