Esmya Tablets Fibroid Treatment

Posted , 151 users are following.

Hello I'm 44 and have recently been diagnosed with a 11cm Fibroid, my Gyno has put me on Esmya to try and shrink the fibroid, I just wondered if any one could me advice or their review as its fairly new treatment and can't find anyone who has tried it.

Thank you

9 likes, 605 replies

605 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Sunshine girl, yes pre-opp i guess.

As I was hoping not to to have surgery at all.... I was just Over optimistic on what the drug would do in terms of size reductions of fibriods.

Also my periods have stopped completely, throughout the duration of the medications

Is there anybody out their who having the fibroids removed so they have a better chance of getting pregnant?

Also what type of surgery are you going for? Myomectomy or Uterine Artery Embolization

• Posted

Hi Lamypie

I am booked in for a hysterectomy on 23rd April. I was told a hysterectomy or embolisation were really my only options. I really was unsure was to do (still am to a certain extent) My biggest fibroid is 9cm and I have several smaller ones. I could nt find out too much about embolisation. I am 44 and have a son who is 23 so for me it's not about having more children. Still very scary. When I was first told I had a fibroid, this was 5 years ago, I had the option of a mirena coil or surgery as a day procedure. Because I really wasn't suffering too much apart from heavy periods (I could deal with that) I chose to do nothing. Unfortunately I wasn't told they could grow (sometimes they don't). So here I am! Do you know your options? I picked up my esmya medication yesterday. Does it matter which day during a period it is taken? If I take it on the first day will that period be lighter? I usually take tranexamic acid but won't be able to with esmya.

• Posted

Hi Sunshine girl...

The website I found was this for embolisation was this www.femisa.org.uk/index.php/treatment-options/embolisation.

Well I have been given the option of myomectomy or embolisation due my age/wanting to get pregnant... And can't decide as complications with both? I just like the sound of embolisation as less invasive and will mean I am off work for less. Yes I feel your pain in terms of making a decision as i can't decide at all!! And I sure even if I do decide i will still be second guessing my decision!

I took ESMYA on the first day of my period, it didnt make my period light in the first instance however stop my period the next month.

• Posted

Hi Lamypie

I have a very lareg fibroid around 11 cm and i was able to sucessfully become pregant however it lead to complications and i have a planned caeseran at 38 weeks - baby is healthy but was low birth weight when born sad

i have been advised by consultant to take esmye for 3 months to try and shrink the fibroid as i would like to have another baby

did you take the esmya? how was it? 

please advice as i am confused as to what to do 

thanks

• Posted

Hello,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've also been prescribed fibristal (Esmya equivalent in Canada) to shrink my fibroids. I wish to start a family soon. I have multiple with the Largest fibroid at 9cm. Am told I have to do two courses of fibristal to see max shrinkage.

Could you share your story? Did your fibroid shrink with esmya and was your pregnancy successful? Am only three weeks into the treatment, so trying not to get my hopes up. So far, I have no noticeable side effects except some mild cramping now and then.

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Hi i took Esmya for a few days. I am 49 no children. I had a large Fybriid. Esmya did not agree with me, i had all the symtoms of the tablet so i was taken off of it. I had keyhole Hysterectomy 19th oct this year. Had 6 weeks off work no problems and feel great now. We are all different, it may suit you. I would say give it ago. 😊

Sandra

• Posted

Hi sandra88040

I had multiple fibroids and had tried to lots of injections to shrink them but they didnt work, went with total hysterectomy .was very nervous about having the surgery but now five weeks later recovered fantastic. Im feeling great and delighted its all behind me.would recommend to anyone who had any doubts to go ahead. Ps. Have flat stomach now whereas had tummy like 4 months pregnancy before surgery.

• Posted

Hi Tina , thank you for your message. Did you have your ovaries taken out too ? And also do you feel you have some sort of incontinence problem ? As currently i am also struggling to "hold" my water, and have been told by hospital that it would get worst after hysterectomy.

I am also a gym addict , and wonder if after hysterctomy , one can able to do all excercice after few months of course ,

Dee

• Posted

Hi dee

Before i had hyster.i had to pee all the time but this has gone since my surgery.i walk alot and was back walking a week after op.building up longer each week.no sure about gym as i dont go! However i was told no pilates ever.

• Posted

Hi Tina im so pleased you feel alot better. Great news about your Tummy too.

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Dee i had a Hysterectomy oct 19th. My ovaries were left in, I dont have any problems with wee incontinence at all. I had my 6 week check up and can do everything i used to. So back to yoga i go. 😀

• Posted

Thanks Tina I'm due for surgery in a few weeks you've put my mind at rest! Glad you are doing well! 👌

• Posted

I'm almost at the end of the 3 month course, have already had several fibroids removed over the years and doc suggested this would shrink an 11cm one and stop bleeding and pain - which it has done (pain and bleeding not sure about shrinking till scan next week)! Haven't had any bleeding at all for 3 months and have had virtually no pain, I have gained some weight, and have felt overwhelmingly tired - but I would rather that than the constant bleeding and pain -,my question is what happens after the 3 months ?? Is it like a tidal wave ??!! Or is it back to business as usual ??
  • Posted

Hi tina40

I stopped taking Esmya over a week ago and nothing yet - am expecting a return within two to four weeks - will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to be one of those who opt not to have an operation. Let's see - I have a doctor's appointment on the 19th.

• Posted

Hi tina40

I stopped taking Esmya over a week ago and nothing yet - am expecting a return within two to four weeks - will let you know how it goes. I am hoping to be one of those who opt not to have an operation. Let's see - I have a doctor's appointment on the 19th.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.