Esmya treatment and wish to have children

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello!

I'm 29 years old and I have a few relatively small fibroids. The biggest one is 4 cm and the other 6 fibroids are about 2 or 1 cm.

I actually didn't have any idea of what was growing in my belly. I only had bad pains during my period but no other symptoms. So last year in October, I did the yearly examination and it was then when the doctor discovered them.

My husband and I want to have children an the fibroids might be getting in the way. So I started with the Esmya treatment, in hopes that the fibroids will get smaller, so I can get pregnant soon.

Does anyone here is in a similar situation? What is the treatment that your doctor gave you?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not every fibroid can affect your fertility. However, the ones that change the size and shape of uterine cavity seem to affect women’s ability to get pregnant. But, because there are risks to your fertility and possibly pregnancy, it is best to work to reduce fibroid growth, prevent formation of new fibroids and to maintain healthy lifestyle choices to continue working to bring about the best possible uterine health.

I never heard of Esmya treatment before but just wanted to wish you luck. Take care.

• Posted

Hi bethany84213!

Thank you for the good wishes!

The active substance in Esmya, ulipristal acetate, is a ‘selective progesterone receptor modulator’. It acts by blocking the receptor of a hormone in the body called progesterone, which is involved in controlling the growth of the lining of the womb. So I hope it will work. Because it is still a very new medicine there are isn't enough evidence of success in terms of fertility after the three months treatment.

• Posted

Hi Mar86

I'm in the same boat I have a fibroid that is causing 2nd infertilty distorting my uterine cavity. My Dr. said to keep trying. I researched on the net and I'm trying to shrink it naturally by changing diet, acupuncture & chinese medicine.

• Posted

Hi Katie818!

I also changed my diet. I stopped drinking milk and I try to avoid milk products, among other things. I'm also taking homeopathic medicine. I hope that all the effort will bring good results.

After I finish the treatment with Esmya, I will try to get pregnant. Let's see what happens. The most difficult part ist to keep calm and relaxed.

• Posted

Hi Mar86

Is the Esmya in the states? I haven't heard anything about it.

Do you happen to know what the success rate is after taking it in regards to fertility?

I also try to eat everything organic because of the chemicals. I'm so glad you posted I'm around the same age and wanting to conceive again and i felt many of the other posts were not worried about the fertility part. Yes! It is so hard to relax and not stress especially when everyone is pregnant. I hope it works and you are able to conceive when you wish smile

• Posted

I don't know if you can get the Esmya tablets in the states. In europe it has been used since 2012, so it is a very new medicine. Since fibroids are more common in older women there isn't enough research about it's use in women who want to have kids. So I feel a bit like a ginea pig. So far I have been taking the pills for a wek and the treatment lasts only three months, the shrinking effect should last about 6 months after finishing the treatment. Hopefully I will be able to conceive before the fibroids grow again.

And yes it is awful to see that 80% of my friends are pregnant or just had their babies, while I'm trying to keep the fibroids under control.

It is nice to have someone to talk about this and who understands how it feels. I wish you the best, that you also get pregnant and have a healthy baby.

• Posted

Hello Mar86,

I was searching the internet for information and came upon your post. I know its an old post, but am now in the same position as you were. I have multiple fibroids, largets is 10cm. I had a miscarraige at 6wks in october last year and doctor prescribed fibristal (esmya equivalent in Canada) to shrink the fibroids. I have to do two courses and now halfway through the first 3month course. We will then try again for a baby.

Could you share your with me? Did your fibroids shrink and were you able to successfully concieve? I am trying not to get my hopes up as am afraid to be disappointed.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.