esophageal manometry test, Achalasia/Hernia!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I have been having difficulty swallowing for 15 months now, it all started rather suddenly and was very upsetting at the time, in fact as I did not know what on earth was wrong with me, I ended up in hospital twice with panic attacks and axiety!

I had an endoscopy test which showed a rolling hernia, so was the refered for a barium swallow test, that came back clear, so back to square one!

Another endoscopy, even though I swore blind I would NEVER have one again, the first one was soooo horrific! But as I ams ure many of you understand, when you do not know what is wrong and you want to find out, you put yourself through it! I had biopsies taken with the second one, which came back that I have polyps down my oesphageus. The consultant also thinks I have Achalasia, so yesterday I underwent a esophageal manometry test. This was also a horrific experience! But I got through it! Now waiting for the results!

I have however had to learn how to swallow in my own way, as I became aware very quickly that this problem was not going to go away and that I would probably have to adapt and learn to live with it!

The doctors have previously told me that it is all in my imagination and that I am over thinking the natural swallowing process whilst eating! I was utterly disgusted by these comments and made them aware that nobody in their rught mind would want to live like this!!

Anyway, I await the results and take it form there!!

I have better days then others regarding my swallowing, usually one problem flares antoher up, so IBS, reflux, bloat then mean it is not possible to swallow at all!! sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

all the best with the test i gt diagnosed with esophagitis n reflux..and now spasms altho no manometry tests have been done bu the GI suspects it,given my symtpoms n the egd n barium swallow showing everything else more or less pretty normal..hope it turns out fine for you and you get the right diagnosis done may God bless!!
  • Posted

Don't give up. I had my POEM surgery yesterday , this was 5 years after I went to the first dr stating I had a problem swallowing. The first dr wanted to retrain me how to swallow. She wanted me to come to the hospital 3 times a week for lessons. I walked out and never looked back. Then for 4 years went to several gastro heads of hospitals and was misdiagnosis. Finally found Dr Haber at NYU.Hope relief is only a few days away when I can eat normal food again . Good luck getting some help.
  • Posted

I HHAVE TROUBLE SWALLOWING LAAST MONTH

ALSO FOOD STICK IN ESPOHAGUS AND PILLS AR HARD TO GO DOWN.......iM SCARED I HAVE GERDMOD GASTIRTIS AND I CANTTAKE THE DEXILLANT MAKES E ANXIEY AND REALLY DY...i NEED SOMETHING ZZANTEC......GERD IS THE CAUSE OR DYSPAHIA   WHICH MAYBE FROM VALIUM I TAKE AT NIGHT FOR A WHIE  9 MONTHS,,,,,,tHE OTHER DAY PANIC COULD NOT SWALLOW AND THOUGHT I WOULD PASS OUT. MORNING SO MUCH MUCOUS.     THIS IS SO HARD. EVERY FEW MONTH SOMETHING NEW. BALANCE ISSUES....AND SJROGENS IC BLADDER FIBRO

• Posted

The modern high resultion manometry equipment should make it much less uncomfortable, and it is often good to ask for a sedataive before an endoscopy.

​Achalsia sufferers often do have a long period before the condition is diagnosed properly.   There is more information on the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under the oesophagus and Achalasia.

Hope things get better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.