Esophageal Spasms 24/7 for a few months

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have tight chest and a doctor had told me it was Esophageal Spasms, which I think they very well could be. I just don't know that you can have them 24/7 constantly for a few months. Is that possible? And my lower throat is tight too.

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I have been suffering from severe pain on swallowing food and drink for the last 9 months and doctors think that it may be oesophageal spasms. I am currently having tests done to try and determine if this is the case. I have just had a manometry test which tests the pressure inside the oesophagus. I also had a 24 hour oesophageal ph test to test the sphincter at the bottom of the oesophagus to see whether acid is refluxing into the oesophagus. I believe they also do a barium swallow to check for spasms of which there are several types. I've also had 2 endoscopys which have revealed I have gastritis and the stomach bug h pylori for which I have received treatment.

I think it is important that you undergo tests to determine whether you have oesophageal spasms or whether you have some other condition and you need to see a gastroenterologist if you haven't done so already.

If your pain is anything like mine I really feel for you and hope that you get a firm diagnosis leading to effective treatment. My pain has also been constant but only affects meals, nevertheless I have lost a stone and a half in weight because of it and I'm unable to eat in public anymore.

Best wishes

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I recently had gastritis and am healed or almost healed. I was unable to eat for awhile, only smoothies or liquids. So I feel your pain too. The pain in my chest/throat was alot worse. Now it's manageble but uncomfortable and makes me not enjoy life as much. I may go to the GI doctor soon. He did my endoscopy a few months ago. Tired of tests. Benadryl hleps me... maybe try Benadryl. It will either relax you and/or help with your throat if there is swelling. If it's a reaction, then you could switch try Zyrtec next since it won't make you drowsy. But try the Benadryl 1st. Because it may just relax you and help loosen up your throat/chest.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice but my problem is at the lower end of the gullet, its not clear whether it's the stomach, the sphincter at the entrance to the stomach or the gullet itself. I hardly dare say it but the pain actually seems to be easing a little but is being replaced by nausea which is constant at the moment and I'm really struggling to eat and drink because of it. Would benadryl help at all - I thought it was for allergies. They thought it was my gallbladder originally so I had it removed in April and that's when my stomach really flared up and they discovered I had H Pylori.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have had 2 endoscopys 6 months apart and both came back with mild gastritis - I have all the symptoms of gastritis but the doctors say that mild gastritis is nothing and wouldn't cause the symptoms that I have so this is why I am undergoing so many tests.  I was also diagnosed in the last endoscopy with H pylori - which I presume is the cause of the gastritis.  I had one round of treatment for this and symptoms improved a lot  - less fatigue etc., but relapsed again within a week so I think that I may still have this bug.  

I also had horrendous reflux which started 3 days after the gallbladder operation and landed me in hospital for 8 days 2 weeks after the op where I was put on very high doses of Omeprazole and Rantidine - so if the gastritis I have can't cause these symptoms I keep wondering why they are treating me for it with these meds.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I am posting this in hopes that I can help someone out there with the same issues I have had.  I have had esopohageal spasms that cause my heart rate to go up.  I have had this for about 5-8 yrs.  They come randomly, are different severaties and last from a fes minutes to several hours.  I have had two endoscopes, been hospitalized and tried acid reflux medicine.  I recently found the ANSWER.  I put myself on a GLUTEN FEE DIET.  It has been 2.5 weeks and I am already 70-80% better.  It is LIFE CHANGING!  Please research it.  Gluten is the the cause of over 55 diseases and there are 300 Gluten related symptoms.  You don't have to have celiacs disease, there is also Gluten Sensitivity.  I combined my faith in God,  new attitude, spiritually grownth and my Gluten Free Lifestyle to achive my new found Health!  It is truly Life Changing!  I hope I can help someone out there with this information.  Please, Please check out Gluten....it can not only change your life, it can save your life and give you your life back!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks for the info, I've always wondered about gluten insensitivity and whether it could cause any if my symptoms. I will look into and trial a period of gluten free diet to see if it makes any difference.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up