esophagitis and stomach ulcer

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

Im a 25 year old male, I was diagnosed with Gastritis and esophagitis about 6months ago and was put on lansoprozol. I then went for a second camera into my stomach 2 months later and the gastritis had gone but i still had esopagitis and a stomach ulcer had developed.Im currently waiting on my 3rd camera which will take it up to 9 months with all of these problems. Im currently on omerprazol twice a day and my diet is perfect plus i dont smokje and havent drank in 9 months. Any advice would be amazing as im losing my mind and alot of weight.

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

ive read that juicing helps. It's helped me with my chest pain. I bought one of the slow masticating juicers that doesn't heat the foods up and the juice can be left in he fridge for a longer period. Weight loss is par for the course I'm afraid, I was 11.5 down to 9.5 stone but stomach fat is the hardest to lose! Good luck

cheers S

• Posted

I too have had a lot of joy with juicing. I think it gives you gastro system a bit of a rest but it wont cure Gerd etc on its own in my experience. However it does have other suprising benefits. Does wonders for joints for instance and does weird things like clear up liver spots one has had for years. Nothing to lose I say!
    • Posted

I'm a bit lost with juicing is there anywhere that do recipes etc?
  • Posted

Have you tried doing a food diary and cutting out certain foods. I cut out wheat and chocolate and it helped me no end. Im not saying this will work but it definately helped me although i am still on omeprazole twice a day, ranitidine once a day and suralfate 4 times a day. Good luck i know how horrible this pain is x
  • Posted

Hi mark,

I am a 23 year old male have the same problem as you. I had an endoscopy 4 months ago showed ulcers in duodenal and antrum with oesophgitis. I was placed on 40 mg ppi once a day for 3 months i have been tappered off that to h2 once a day. I feel about 70% better but sometimes i still get a burning sensation when i get hungry so i am worried my ulcers havent healed but keeping a positive attitude since it takes a very long time to heal from what i read about ulcers not caused by hpylori. The things I do that help: dont eat 3 hours before sleeping, drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol, spicy, greasey, fried foods and exercise 3-4 times a week. I too had weight loss like you but I been slowly gaining weight and i mean glacier speed since i always had a fast metabolism. The thing I do that helps is make a protein shake (1 cup 2% milk or fat free, 1 banana, 4 scoops of oats, and 2 scoops of whey = 600 - 800 calories) this will help you increase your caloric intake.

• Posted

Does whey not irritate your stomach? Is it not bad for ulcers and esophagitis? I'm struggling to find anyone who has gone back to normal after they have got rid of ulcers!!!! I just want to be able to drink alcohol again to be honest as I've never been fat because I also have a good metabolism. One thing I'm struggling with at the moment is bad flatulence after evening meal up until I go to sleep!!! Don't know if it's because I eat a lot of granola rich in fibre.
    • Posted

A good refrigerated probiotic may help with the farting and settling down your gut in general. Soil based probiotics are worth checking out too, but do some research as they are a little controversial. I'm down to one a week and they helped me a lot.
    • Posted

This is a good read.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Gut Health...

The digestive system is really the corner stone of our wellbeing, as it is involved in so many processes. If our digestive system is in order, we feel great, we can perform at the level we want, and we can push ourselves to make bigger and better gains..

If our gut health is poor, we can end up with impaired immune and nervous systems, and it can also wreak havoc with our hormonal function throughout the body. This is because our gastrointestinal tract is loaded with neurons that release the same neurotransmitters found in the brain. This is why you have "gut feelings" and any upset to this equilibrium can throw your body and mood into chaos.

How Does This Happen?

The digestive system is a pathway starting at the mouth and ending at the anus. It is responsible for breaking down the foods we eat, extracting the nutrients needed, and then eliminating the waste. The problem is that poor food choices, viruses, parasites, caffeine, alcohol consumption, antibiotics, NSAIDs, and bad bacteria can cause damage to the gastrointestinal tract, which leads to increased permeability or "leaky gut."

This "leaky gut" means that instead of foods being broken down, absorbed, and eliminated, partially digested foods can now cross through the damaged area of the intestinal lining and enter the blood stream directly. This leak can cause intolerances that then initiate an inflammatory response in the body and the release of stress hormones. One of these stress hormones is cortisol, which further taxes the body and starts to impair the body's immune system. This can then lead to a host of issues that may not seem related to the impaired gastrointestinal tract, like allergies, skin conditions, impaired performance, and stubborn weight gain to name but a few.

How to Start Fixing Things...

With so many things attacking our digestive system it would seem like an almost impossible task to try and restore its health. Luckily with a bit of planning and time it is possible to restore your gastrointestinal tract to optimal health. Healing the gut lining will allow your body to build a strong immune system again and produce the right amount of neurotransmitters so that you will feel well again. So how do we do it?

First, we need to adopt a new approach to the foods we consume. This can be done by starting with the "Four Rs" - remove, repair, restore, and replace.

Step 1: Remove

In this first step we remove the offending foods and toxins from your diet that could be acting as stressors on your system. This means caffeine, alcohol, processed foods, bad fats, and any other foods you think may be causing issues, like gluten and dairy. All of these all irritate the gut in some form and create an inflammatory response.

Step 2: Repair

The next step is to begin to repair the gut and heal the damaged intestinal lining. You do this by consuming an unprocessed diet and giving your body time to rest by providing it with substances that are known to heal the gut, like L-glutamine, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, antioxidants (in the form of vitamins A, C, and E), quercitin, aloe vera, and turmeric.

Step 3: Restore

This involves the restoration of your gut's optimal bacterial flora population. This is done with the introduction of probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis. A probiotic is a good bacteria and is ingested to help reinforce and maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract and to help fight illness. In general a healthy lower intestinal tract should contain around 85% good bacteria. This helps to combat any overgrowth of bad bacteria. Unfortunately in most people these percentages are skewed and this allows for the gut health to drastically decline. The human gut is home to bad bacteria like salmonella and clostridium, which is fine as long as they are kept in order and don't get out of control.

Step 4: Replace

This involves getting your bile salts, digestive enzymes, and hydrochloric acid levels to optimal levels to maintain and promote healthy digestion. This can be done by supplementing with digestive enzymes and organic salt to help make sure you have enough hydrochloric acid.

Recommended Foods and Supplements:

L-Glutamine - Helps to heal and seal the gut and aid recovery.

Quality Hempseed Oil - This helps reduce inflammation, balance hormones, and supports the immune system.

Probiotics - They provide live strains of good bacteria to help bolster your defenses.

Cinnamon - It can help to improve digestion and, as an added bonus, is great at balancing blood sugar levels.

Mint - Great at soothing the stomach and can help to relax the gastrointestinal tract.

Zinc - Very important as it is utilized to form digestive enzymes and also used in regulating hormones.

Prebiotics - In the form of fermented foods. Prebiotics help to feed friendly bacteria and allow them to thrive in a healthy environment. Fermented foods include bio-available yogurt, kefir, kimchi, and sauerkraut.

PH Balancing or Alkaline Foods - Anything green is generally okay, like kale, spinach, broccoli, wheatgrass, parsley, chlorella, and spirulina. These are all great at keeping high stomach acid levels in order.''''''''''''''''''

• Posted

You may want to forget about alcohol forever I did and will never look back. It probably is one of the factors why I am in this mess now but anyhow whey doesn't affect me at all. It has a lot of L glutamine which you can see the benefits below. Start off with 1 scoop see how you feel.
    • Posted

Everything you have said is rediculously helpfull I will try some aloe Vera and probiotic thanks. I have been eating perfectly do you agree that alcohol should be forgotten about or is it eventually a option once I restore my stomach? Is excercise also a help?
    • Posted

Also does green tea help?
    • Posted

Thanks for a brilliant post Mick! Shows all the options we have.
    • Posted

You can get better after ulcers Mark but you MUST keep your diet strict or you will return to that awful dark place.
    • Posted

Yeah I will thanks, the diet isn't the issue for me it's the no alcohol as I was a very active sociable person which has not disapeard and I really want to go back to that.
    • Posted

I'd give alcohol a miss until you're 100% healthy Mark. I've given it up for life but occassionly I'll have a cannabis cookie if I feel like having a nice social night with friends. It actually helps lower stomach acid and helps with Acid reflux, Chron’s Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), ulcers, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, anorexia, bulimia. These are just some of the gut problems being treated with medical cannabis these days. Seems like the war on drugs is just about over and drugs won smile

I just did a quick google search and green tea is thought to help or hinder, depending on who you read.

• Posted

Hey, IMO a holistic approach to our health inevitably gives the best possible outcomes. Diaphragm breathing (belly breathing) is a great way to tighten things up and helps reduce your meds or even get off them. Learning how to breathe properly also makes life more enjoyable and healthy too.
    • Posted

I'll give belly breathing a go, thanks. Have you 100 % recovered and everyrhib cleared up? How long did it take as I'm 9 months in now
    • Posted

Google acid refux-belly breathing, or diaphragm breathing. I read some studies done that have had very positive results. I'm training myself to breathe properly all the time. The belly breathing exercises singers do seem to be the ones to try, but you can practice while walking, sitting, laying in bed, etc.

A few times I've thought I'd recovered 100% and then got cocky and end up with acid again. I've gotten to understand my body a lot more now and provided I do everything right, it's pretty good. The road to recovery seems to be slow but achievable.

Melatonin is really worth a try. Lots of info online if you google melatonin-acid reflux. The local Naturopath put me onto it and after about a month I was 99% good but had a big mountain-bike stack and that started it all again, so had to start from scratch, again. It lowers your stomach acid and tightens the esophageal sphincter. I got my 3mg melatonin online and took 1 about an hour before bed.

Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.