Esophagus burning and taking Fosamax as directed, what should I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mom is taking Fosamax [Alendronic Acid], she is taking it exactly as directed and is still getting terriible burning in her esophagus. She is really suffering. She says there are no alternative medications she can switch to.

Are there any remedys she can take to help ease the burning in her esophagus? Supplements, Vitamins, anything like that?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatle appreciated, as i Said, she is really suffering

Thanks in Advance!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there are other ways to take this drug. I had an annual infusion recently and have felt no side effects at all. I didn't get on with the table form.

• Posted

Hi Josh

Sorry your mum is suffering with this stuff. It can cause damage to the oesophagus and a number of other very nasty side effects.

There are a lot of different types of 'bisphosphonates' and an option your mum could maybe take is a 6 monthly injection.

Please take your mum to see her doctor who will be able to give her something to ease her current pain and discuss options available to her going forward.

Regards Evelyn

• Posted

I have Barretts esophagus so did not want to take the risk taking Alendronic Acid, I did for a few months and found I wasn't happy, apart from my hair falling out a bit.

?I have opted for the yearly drip, it only takes 30 minutes.at my local hospital so job done. side effects achey bones for a few days, got that already so that is no problem.

?Hope she is taking Adcal d3 a chewable tablet from the doctor, I also take Admel it has B & D in it, I don't know if it is any good, but I like the taste.

• Posted

Yes I have opted for yearly drip. So far so good. You can forget about it and not have that weekly chore of taking tablets. Not to mention the side effects of burning.
    • Posted

Hi And do you get any side effects, they say you get a flu feeling for a few days, but I can put up with that.
    • Posted

Not really but I take so many drugs I never feel totally normal and am used to various odd feelings! But I don't have anything I can't handle fortunately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.