esr level 60mm is dangerous and what is mean

Posted , 29 users are following.

my mother esr 60mm so its dangerous or not and what is mean...what kind of medical problem they have i am very worried about it...

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi S.

The erythracyte sedimentation rate "sort of" measures how 'sticky' the red blood cells are. It's a fairly good measure of how inflamed someone is. The esr is how many mm the cells fall in an hour. The stickier they are - the more of them fall.

There's a very general calculation that's used to come up with a 'normal' figure -although there is always a range for normal! For women it's their Age + 10 years  divided by 2.

So if your Mum is 50 then she would expect to have an esr of: 60 = 10 /2 = 30

At 60 it would be 70/2 = 35.

So her esr is elevated. The does not indicate any specific disease. I have Lupus (SLE) and mine has been as high as 85 about 20 years ago! I'm 58 and my last esr was about 38 - pretty good. I now take meds to reduce my inflammation.

It's not an illness specific test - and it can be caused by anemia, infection, kinds of arthritis, connective tissue issues -lots of stuff ! 

If your Mum has been having stiff joints or rashes for a while there may be an obvious cause. I wouldn't worry about it until other tests are in.

Btw Any  good GP would have told her what the test was for!!

• Posted

Hi Maam,

Actually my mom having a joint pain for few months back and that time doctor suggest me some bone cancer test. all test was done and there is no problem only calcium level is low. doctor gave some calcium tablet for 1.5 month. my mother not take a medicine on time mostly she ignore the tablet .... and her problem still continue......again doctor suggest me bone cancer test and other test 2 reports are neagtive and in one report that is ESR report and there is 60 mm level ......so i am worried what kind of dissess they have ......but after calcium medicine she feel better not lot of pain but little bitt in finger joint...

thanks

Sheetal

• Posted

Hi

My mothers ESR rate is 57 and she has slight pain and swelling in the hand i.e in b/w fingers(index and middle finger) she doesn't have any fever or other ache's. Her blood was also low last week but now it is normal. The swollen part is red and not hot, are the symptoms of RA or any other infection I am really worried plss give reply

• Posted

Sounds like she has inflammation. She may also have thinning bones [just with age, this may cause the joint pain too]. She could have osteporosis - it is a gradual process with old age. Calcium will help. If the cancer tests are clear - try not to worry

• Posted

I have esr 74 ..i m so much worry ...plz do help me why its so much high...i have all body pain and backache pain ...i have no uric acid and cholestrol suger etc .but pain in all body my age 30 years..
    • Posted

Plz reply soon need help pain in all body
  • Posted

I have esr 74 ..i m so much worry ...plz do help me why its so much high...i have all body pain and backache pain ...i have no uric acid and cholestrol suger etc .but pain in all body my age 30 years..
    • Posted

Hi Fiza, mine was 98..crazy. I suggest you to go check with doctor. I've just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.The sympomtps were fever, joint pain, muscle ache, and skin rash. I'm not saying you have it, but high rate esr means there's inflammation in your body and it could be for many reasons. I hope it's just as simple as infection that will go away eventually smile 

• Posted

As far as I know, the current treatment's goal are to ease the symptoms, slowing the organ damage, and put it into remission. There's no cure in western medicine currently.

• Posted

Hi nimashayu, my friend ESR is 85, and having fever for quite a long time. How long your fever?
    • Posted

the fever come and goes. I got better after I start taking prednisolone. before prednisolone, I got fever every night. panadol can reduce the temperature, but it only lasted for a day. My esr got better at one time (13, it was normal) but then I had a bad flare up and my esr went back to 60. hope that helps
    • Posted

oh,, I got fever again after my esr went up. most of the time prednisolone works for me. It just I need to know the dosage. If I feel bad, or feverish, I'll take higher dosage. maybe your friend could ask their doctor to give them prednisolone/steroid. i

• Posted

This is an autoimmune disease, which means that your own immune system is attacking your joints and causing damage. There is no cure. Treatments are available to slow the progression of the disease and minimize the damage, but as with all autoimmune diseases there is no cure. 
  • Posted

My sister age is 25 and she is suffering from severe cough and body pains with slight fever. We did esr test for her. Test result was 150. will it be serious case?

She suffering with cough for 3 months and on previous the esr test result was 40 and now it increased with in a week. Please give some suggestions. I am really tensed about it?

• Posted

hi, for my case (esr 98 was my highest), I've been taking steroid (prednisolone) to control my esr. you can ask her doctor to give her steroid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.