Essure - Itching

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, After being on the Depo Injection for 12 years I was told I would have to find another method of birth control (although in actual fact I used it more for PMT). I had the coil fitted but after 6 months felt ill and so asked to have it removed - I was offered Essure (permanent sterilisation) which I opted for. They were inserted in December 2013 and since April 2014 I have developed itching all over my body.  I have been back and forward to doctors and they really dont know whats causing it.  I have mentioned that essure devices contain nickel and that I am allergic to that however my doctor has told me today that she cant find any link and so is referring me to a dermatologist.  I am at my wits end with the itching and scratching - has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your issues. Please, if you have facebook, join ~ Essure problems UK and Ireland group. It's private. We have tons of information. I too had Essure and a nickel allergy. 100% correct with it containing nickel. I hope you haven't suffered too long! I suffered 2 years and had it removed via hysterectomy leaving my ovaries x
  • Posted

I also had the exact same reaction the exact same time frame. I just had my tubes and Essure removed four days ago but, I'm still itching, please someone tell me I am going to get relief. I am actually not an alergic type person usually and if I hadn't had unexplained abdomen pain as well as this skin clawing alergic reaction I probably would have not had them removed. I just fear at this point the unknown so better safe than sorry, and I pray this itching will pass. I can't keep taking steroids they are packing on the pounds like 10 per pack, and my like is disrupt to say the least.

• Posted

This is an update of my previous response from the top.

I had pelvic pain and an added excruciating itchy rash experience at post essure 3 months.

I am sharing this because I wish someone had shared their relief to the itching.

I as all others started by my doctor attempting to rule out all other causes. She had me try LOTRISONE CREAM, treatment for yeast a few days as I had no patience... it's almost insanity to put up with such itching. Also Claratin daily, and Aterax 25mg 4 times a day and Benadryl. She told me if I didn't notice a response in a few days to start the methylprednisolone pack she gave me. I only gave it 2 days and started the steroid.

I had almost a instant response of relief the second day of methylprednisolone. I saw her a few days later and told her I want the essure removed asap. She agreed though she warned me it might not be what is causing the itching but I figured with pelvic pain that by the way made it painful to have sex, I would feel better getting it out. I was up for a partial hysterectomy because that's what I had read had to be done but, my doctor though she is very experienced elsewhere has only removed one for migration so she felt strongly she could remove it by just a salpingectomy via laproscopy technique.

So I had Essure and my tubes removed no big deal except, about two days after my surgery my methylprednisolone pack was gone. I started to itch like crazy again. I thought great crazy me had surgery and it didn't even help. Well I am pleased to say at week 1 post op I figured I better just go learn to deal with this life altering itch and see a dermatologist, I thought they would at least give me a methylprednisolone pack which I knew wouldn't help forever but at least would help immediately. My bad luck I got a mean PA and she said no not a good idea steroids can't be used long term it can mess with your immune system and I probably just experienced a rebound effect when off them. I am also sure she didn't have a clue what Essure was or was made of as she referenced hormones might have been accidently released during extraction. And probably didnt even believe I was alergic to nickel. So...She put me on a new cream which I still don't believe in as I never had a rash just terrible hives as a result of my alergic scratching it did look bad but I used the cream just in case still don't believe in it but it was Temovate Cream. She told me to take Zyrtec twice a day instead of Claratin. She advised stay with the Atarax, and gave me Doxepin HCL 25mg twice a day. I just knew she was wrong and didn't care.

I had also recently read online in someone's post they took a natural suppliment called Chlorella it's a natural metal detox which helped. I got it at GNC the same day. I started it the same time as the rest of the new meds and by morning just two doses later I really noticed I was doing better feeling like a real person instead of a rabid dog, that I had felt before, I actually enjoyed myself for the first time that night with the family. So I don't know what made me better but It's been 9 days post op and two days on the new medicines. I just want to share I think I am almost all better, no crazy itching at all. Good luck to all. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.