ETD. Confused and losing hope.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I found this discussion as I was browsing Google trying to figure out some sort of reason for why I'm feeling this way.

I have a history with accumulating fluid in my middle ear and every single time, with the assistance of Benadryl, it's cleared up. I have never had an ear infection. The only thing I can say about my ears is that they're highly sensitive to pressure changes but popping them has never been a problem up until now.

About two weeks ago, I had a sudden case of loud tinnitus in my right ear and it quickly died down but then my hearing went muffled in that ear. So, as I usually do, assuming that fluid was accumulating again, I started my Benadryl routine. Well, it got better, but not completely. Curious about why I get fluid in my ear so much, I went to the doctor to make sure I didn't have an infection. The doctor said no infection. He then decided to do a tympanometry test on me. Not knowing really what I was in for (he described it as a puff of air and vibration, not an airtight seal on my ear), I went through with it. The test was uncomfortable but I made it through. He said its ETD and prescribed Flonase and sent me on my way.

That night, I developed a full feeling in both ears (my hearing was not affected much at all) and it wouldn't go away. Keep in mind I have had the ability to yawn to pop my ears, so this was unnerving to me. It was so uncomfortable.

I've had this full feeling ever since then and, two nights ago, deciding I wanted to see if I could pop my ears with the Valsalva, I gently did it. The left ear went first without issue and then the right ear built up pressure and I opened my mouth to release it. I thought nothing of it. Well, I realized my hearing went muffled and I have very slight tinnitus in my right ear now (if the tinnitus sticks around, I can learn to deal with it). I am worried that the test put my ears through barotrauma and that I made it worse with attempting the Valsalva. I usually never use that method but I was desperate and I did it gently. Now, I have the full feeling and feel the need to yawn every two seconds to try and pop my ears. I can pop them from yawning and feel some pressure release but the full feeling doesn't go away and my hearing is still muffled. I called the doctor today and told him what was going on and he told me to pick up some Afrin and try that for 3 days and come back if it was still bad. I've been taking antihistamines, trying to reduce the swelling, took dairy and gluten out of my diet, started taking garlic, probiotics, vitamin B, and a multivitamin that I already took prior to this. Riding in the car has been challenging off and on due to pressure. One of my favorite things is to take a drive for awhile and not being able to do that without discomfort is killing me.

I have been reading up on a bunch of different possibilities of what could be wrong and to be perfectly honest, I'm terrified. I haven't even gotten water in my ears since I was little because it terrifies me so much, so to have this happen has thrown me into a tailspin of anxiety and stress. I barely eat, barely drink anything, and have started to dread sleep because waking up is so hard with this.

I have an appointment with the ENT on the 26th since it was the first appointment I could get and it just doesn't seem to be coming soon enough. I just want my normal hearing back.

Any encouragement or advice is welcomed. I've done everything from salt water gargles to heat and ice to reduce swelling. I have seen the EarPopper and I'm afraid to use it, honestly.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Maybe a second opinion. That is to say this ENT hasn't figured it out, stop wasting your money on him or her. On the other hand, you may be on the path of many of us on this site, which is the discouragement of not finding a real solution. I don't think you mentioned a diuretic. I'm going to talk to my Dr about changing the one I'm on. Don't get too discouraged, keep reading the various threads on this site, at least you will see you are not alone. Good luck, and hang in there.

• Posted

Randi,

Don't lose hope. If you don't want a second opinion from another ENT. I would suggest you at least call back the office and asked to be worked in because of ear discomfort.

I am a audiologist and I too have trouble with ETD often. Usually a nasal spray and decongestant help me. I also have worked with a lot of ENTs and they don't always know everything. I definitely would suggest you have your hearing checked for your piece of mind but it sounds like it is temporary hearing difficulty related to fluid. As for the tinnitus don't worry if this is the case it will go away when the fluid or ETD clears up. Tinnitus is an internal sound just like your heartbeat so anytime your ear is stopped up it will show up. Hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Posted

Thank you so much. It's comforting to know that this hopefully won't be a long lasting thing. I should probably have noted that the first doctor I saw was my GP in urgent care, not an ENT. The 26th is my first ENT appointment, so unfortunately, I have no other options other than to stick with my scheduled appointment unless I feel like traveling quite a ways to another clinic. I've heard great things about this particular ENT I'm seeing, so I'm hopeful. Waiting and going through the motions while praying it doesn't get worse is probably the hardest part. I find that I have good days and bad days with this. Unfortunately, today is the day where the pressure in my right ear played up a bit so I've been battling that and trying to get it to subside again. Luckily, I can hear for the most part, so it's not as bad as it could be. Trying really hard to maintain perspective. So glad I found this forum.

• Posted

Randi,

Your welcome sometimes it helps to know there are other people out there like yousmile I also wanted to say because I noticed others commenting on Flonase or Afrin as their doctors choices for nasal sprays. Not one nasal spray works for everyone. Some of these doctors lose track of that. I personally don't think it is wise to use Afrin but as far as what would work best I would say all nasal sprays are different and we no longer need a doctor to prescribe some of them as they are over the counter. So if one doesn't work try a different one. Talk to the pharmacist they sometimes are a great help! I have been using a new one that was prescribed by my ENT that is working a little better Q nasal. So don't always go with what they suggest ask if there is a different nasal spray that they can suggest if you tried one in the past that didn't work. Best of luck!

• Posted

Hi Randi, 

I have extreme sensitivity to pressure changes. The flonase has helped in the past with the fullness, but it takes a while to build up. Ask about Astelin as well. I've seen alot of ENTs, unfortunately it is all about figuring out how to manage it, but it may improve. I have had really odd things occur with my ears trying out the otovent (similar to the ear popper). I won't use it. 

• Posted

Hi Randi!

Please try not to loose hope! I'm sorry that you've ended up here as it is not the most fun forum to be a part of! Luckily we have all been where you are now and stressing so much and not eating is only going to make things work.. Try to relax! I've had ETD since May 2015 and it's been really difficult, especially in the beginning. I have the same symptoms as you, fullness in the ears and ability to pop them by yawning. One morning I just woke up with blocked ears which didn't make any sense because I didn't have a cold or anything (before my ETD whenever I got a cold my ears would block up for about a week but would always go back to normal). After a week of extremely aggravating ear blockage I went to my regular doctor for some relief. She told me to also take the Afrin which did nothing. I then made an appt with my first ENT who told me it was Eustachian tube dysfunction and also prescribed me the Flonase like your doctor did. I had bad allergic reactions to this spray and other similar ones that he prescribed me later so I had no luck with them either. Luckily he told me most cases of ETD clear up within a few months so I'm really hoping you won't be a longtime sufferer! I've since been to another ENT for a second opinion and basically all that I've gotten is, "there's nothing that you can do about it, the best thing to do is just ignore it." Too bad that's pretty hard to do when there's constant pressure and popping in your head! My first ENT recommended the neilmed sinus rinse which has given me the best relief over the past year and a half out of everything. I use it twice a day, you should definitely check it out if you don't already have one. I also purchased a My Purmist steam inhaler which helps but again the neilmed is more effective in my opinion and a LOT cheaper! Try it out. I hope your appointment goes well and that you're feeling better soon!! Good luck!

Laura

• Posted

Make things worse* 😆

• Posted

I should also add for the most part now I'm okay! My ears are still constantly popping and it's very annoying but as crazy as it is you get used to it. As long as I don't have a cold on sinus infection it's not too bad (I'm just always very aware of my ears unfortunately).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.