Etizolam similar to Zopiclne?

Posted , 16 users are following.

So I'm looking for an alternative to Zopiclone and I have come across Etizalam. It's apparently used for insomnia in India and Japan and has been for years. It is not a controlled drug in the UK and easy to get hold. Has anyone heard of it? Tried it? Would love to here your thought as I'm tempted to try it. 

2 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting, not heard of it before. It's not even licensed for animal testing in the UK though.

The half-life is rather short (3.5 hours, Zopiclone's is about 6 hours) and it attaches to the same binding site as the benzodiazepines and the Z-drugs so it's not likely to become much of an alternative in our doctors' eyes in that respect. Their comments on its reverse tolerance would be interesting.

• Posted

It's not available on prescription in the UK at all. I think my doctor would completely disregard it but I am going to ask him about it on Tuesday. I am definitely addicted to Zopiclone I just can't sleep without them and now UP no longer supply them I need an alternative. 
    • Posted

Probably not if it's not licensed here. Doubtless doctors will know about it here though. You may know that Zopiclone was, and is, not  available on prescription in the United States.

If you cannot sleep without Zopiclone or one of the drugs acting on the BNZ receptor, I think you should fully impress the fact upon your doctor.

• Posted

I find it strange that they give it out in India and Japan though, I mean the human body is the human body after all. Yes I know the don't have it in the STates, they use Lunesta (Ambien) and also something called Eszopiclone. 

I have told him so many times he just doesn't get it, he gives me like a 14 day supply when I scream and shout about it. He given me Citalopram for my so called Depression/panic attacks and Anxiety but he fails to understand I suffer from these conditions because I cannot sleep, they seem to be directly related to my lack of sleep. I therefore started self medicating on 1 7.5mg Zopiclone at night for the past 4 years and I had never felt better but now UP can no longer supply them because of changes in UK law so I'm back to square one. If my doctor would understand that all he needs to do is treat my insomnia then all would be well. Instead he just continues to give me Citalopram which does absolutely nothing but give me a whole load of unpleasant side effects and seems to make my sleep even more irrational. 

• Posted

tizolam (Depas, Etilaam, Etizola, Sedekopan) is a benzodiazepine analogue. It works in a very similar way to benzodiazepines although it actually has a slightly different chemical structure as it has a thiophene ring (it is a thienodiazepine drug) instead of a benzene ring. It is an anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant and has a variety of different applications that it might be prescribed for. It is also an anxiolytic (reduces anxiety) and hypnotic (sleep inducing) drug.
    • Posted

"although it actually has a slightly different chemical structure as it has a thiophene ring"

Wow. I'm impressed. Not many people outside chemists would know what a thiophene ring was.

• Posted

"Etizolam has an anxiolytic action about 6 times greater than that of diazepam." Very interesting.

How's it going with the diazepam?

• Posted

on 2mg now robin . not had any zopiclone now for over 2 months :-) 
    • Posted

That's great. I seem to love Zopiclone though it actually makes me happy. Probably because I manage to sleep with it. How is diazepam working for you? May have to discuss that with my GP. 
    • Posted

hi its the ashton plan discuss it with your gp! its a great plan i have been on zopiclone for 11 years and the plan as worked
    • Posted

Thanks. I shall have a long discussion with him on Tuesday and hopefully not just be fobbed off after 5 mins and a prescription for Citalopram. 
    • Posted

Citalopram? I was thinking you must have seen the dangers of taking Etizolam with other drugs.

If he can "fob you off" with a drug that's licensed for long-term use he will. You must make him understand that you cannot sleep without sleep medication.

• Posted

He given me Citalopram for my so called Depression/panic attacks and Anxiety but he fails to understand I suffer from these conditions because I cannot sleep, they seem to be directly related to my lack of sleep. Oh I wouldn't take Etizolam with anything else. I seem to be fine in the day when I've had a good nights sleep the night before. I guess I have to find a way of making my GP understand this
    • Posted

Mmm, there's much thinking currently that it's the other way round, that depression (particularly) and anxiety are the root causes of insomnia.

In reality, sometimes it's a vicious circle. You get worried, you can't sleep so you're less able to function properly, the decreased functioning makes you get more worried, you possibly get so nervous you can't function at all in some circumstance, and then you sleep less still and so on.

Beware, the indivdiual psychologist Alfred Adler would have had everyone believe that you don't sleep so that you have an excuse for not performing as optimally as expected or as you might!

• Posted

I do understand what you are saying and I agree that sometimes depression and anxiety are the reasons behind insomnia but I strongly feel it's the other way round for me. I have always been a bad sleeper even as a child and losing my mum very young didn't help the situation I just wish my doctor would help me treat my insomnia. I have an over active mind and I just can't switch off at night. Even if he suggested another treatment that isn't medicinal i would be happy. 
    • Posted

Have you listened to the talk by Professor Jason Ellis of Northumbria University given at TEDxStockport? I don't fully understand it myself and am almost sure I disagree with one or two things, but if you haven't heard it or read anything by this researcher you might want ot see if it relates to you. (Listenening to the end (last few minutes) of the TEDx talk will probably give you more idea about that than the beginning.)
    • Posted

Thanks for that I have not heard of this but it sounds interesting so I will look it up. I'm 21 and I want to deal with this now, I feel like I'm wasting life and I'd sooner get to the route of the problem then later. Thanks I shall look it up and give you my feedback 
    • Posted

Search for TEDxStockport+Jason+Ellis+Sleep+Research (without Northumbria University) and it should come straight up. I won't put the link, so this post won't need to be held for moderation.

I think much of the essence of Ellis's talk is that getting to the root of the problem is forgetting it.

• Posted

I changed doctors as I had that problem put me on weekly perscriptions at one time touch wood I have not had a problem getting them still on perscription have even found a online UK site that sells them even thou I carnt afford to buy them if means must I will

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.