Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone, I wanted to join the forum and discuss this situation many of us are facing. About a year and a half ago I woke up one morning with thumping in my right ear. It was a weird sensation as I've never experienced it before. The thumping went on throughout the whole day and stopped the following morning. 

Although the thumping in my right ear stopped, I started experiencing weird sounds and sensations in my ears for the next couple of weeks. I felt random subtle thumping in both ears at times, a swoosh type of sensation, subtle buzzing, and sometimes even a sound of vibration. 

Since it all started the one sympotom I'm experiencing the most is thumping in my left ear, the weird thing is it only happen when I speak in a quite place like my home. I'll say something and when I finish talking my left ear thumps. Also I started experiencing random thumps in my right ear for the last 2 weeks even without speaking. 

I went to an ENT, he told me he thinks I have acid reflux although I don't have any symptoms. Acid reflux and the fact that my nose doesn't work normally because of a slightly deviated septum and the fact that there's some blockages as well. He prescriped 2 different pills to take along with salt water to wash out my nose.

Washing and spraying my nose has never worked before, also I'm not sure if I should take the acid reflux pills seeing as how I show no symptoms. The doctor was able to diagnose me just by putting some tube up my nose and saying my throat was red. Considering seeking a second opinion and was wondring if anyone has similar symptoms or suggestions.

Sorry for the long post, this is as short as I can make it. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks all and fight on!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would take the medication and see if the symptoms stop, before getting a second opinion. At least then you can rule out one cause when you see the next ENT. Medication for reflux is very safe and doesn't cause other problems so you have nothing to lose. Good luck!!!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, 

I started taking the pills and washing my nose out, I'll see how it goes. The doc did mention we can do a procedure if the meds don't work. I believe it's called " balloon dialation " or something like that. 

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of this procedure?

• Posted

Any idea if there treatment is effective and if there are any complications after? 

From the research I did, I couldn't find any up to date information. 

• Posted

"Eustachian tube dysfunction: consensus statement on definition, types,

clinical presentation and diagnosis" and "What is the full range of medical and surgical treatments available for patients with Eustachian tube dysfunction?"

are the most recent research papers. You can Google them and have a read. I am not sure if you can get them for free but you will be able to read their abstracts.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.