Eustachian tube - how long does it take to drain?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Last week i started feeling fluid move down from my ear to my throat. Felt thick and moved slow.

Now i feel the fluid more loose and feel it try to drain a few times a day. Is it a good sign if the fluid feels more loose?

How long until it fully drains and i stop feeling the fluid? Its a weird and somewhat uncomfortable sensation!

I just saw my ENT dr who said my ear looks fine and to wait it out for things to go back to normal. I had a cold/sinusitis 2 weeks before this issue.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hannah, does your ears feel blocked ?  if there is no perforation present

drainage can take forever if the mucus is thick.  Maybe try taking a decongestant to help it a long. However, with experience of this can take months.

Anne

• Posted

No, i can hear fine. My ENT had me take a hearing test and it was 100%.

But I definitely feel fluid in there TRY to drain.

• Posted

Morning Hannah, if you can feel fluid it can take a very long time to drain.  It's the blessed eustachian tubes that are to blame for this and my ENT consultant tells me I've dysfunctional eustachian tubes.  Colds and sinus issues can cause blocked ears that are full of mucus, if thick it can take a very long time to clear.  Try putting very hot water in a bowl and then a towel of your head and breath deeply for 20 mintues, sometimes this works.  Olbas oil that we buy in England is good too, sniffing it from a tissue.  As I've said I've suffered this problem since the 1980's.  Because mine is an on going problems I have to use a steriod based nasal spray every day to try and keep them clear.  Maybe your doctor will prescribe some for you.  Other than that it's a waiting game.  Have you tried pinching your nostrils togther and gently blowing.  I do this pretty much all of the time and sometimes end up with a small perforation which my ENT consultant uses microsuction to get all the muck out.  That feels wonderful until the cycle starts all over again.

Anne

• Posted

So Im going to feel fluid until it fully clears?? I dont know how much longer i can keep up with this weird sensation lol smile

• Posted

Morning lil update. Ive been to see doctor about my left ear and its still blocked. They gave me nose spray but which dnt do anything. Ive got try for 3 months. And if not improved then go back.
    • Posted

Morning Sam,  I wish doctors would realise when we have blocked ear or ears for a very long

time the regular Steroid Nasal Sprays rarely work.

He needed to give you a reducing method of Prednisolone Steroid Tablets.  They are so much

stronger than the sprays.  They work to get rid of all the inflammation in your Eustachian Tubes,

and get rid of the swelling that's preventing them from draining.

In my humble opinion you having suffered now for quite a few months the spray is a complete

waste of time.

I have years and years of experience with suffering ETD and know what works and what doesn't

I'd go back if I were you.  You'd need longer than a weeks course too, for it to work.  Are you in

England ?

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne doctor I saw acted like she didnt care. But yh im in England and getting to the point where ive had enough of it.
    • Posted

Hi again,  glad you're in England as you'll be able to ask for the Flixonase Nasule Drops, that I recommend to everyone on the Forum that lives in England.  They come in a green box.  You

have to divide one Nasule between each nostril....not an easy task, as when you're lying with

your head hanging over the bed it's hard to know just how much is going up each side....you'll

get the hang of it like I did.  Six weeks course of these, should get you sorted.  After you've

administered them, give them a few minutes to get into tube, then try and pop your ear....works

every time for me.  I now only have to use them when my left ear blocks, which is approx every

7 days now.

Seeing my consultant on the 6th Feb and hope he doesn't take me off them. 

Anne

• Posted

Is Flixonase pretty similar to Flonase?? That's one of the things the doctor gave me to do once a day. They also said take an allergy pill and keep taking the antioxidant pill they gave me. I just wondered if the Flonase was very useful or if you knew??

• Posted

Yes Ash, it's the equivalent to our Flixonase in England.  I used to use that mornings and evenings, to get the full benefit....no good to me anymore, just not strong enough for ETD.  Keep using it as you'll probably see that it will help, as it did for me years ago.  I'm trying not to use the Flixonas Nasule Drops so I don't get immune to those too.....use just once a week, that's how long I can go before ears block up again....all to do with allergies and Rhinitis with me.

Anne

• Posted

Hi, Sounds like an infection. Might want to see your sinus doctor.
    • Posted

It's not an infection i've had 2 doctors and 1 ENT all confirm its not.

• Posted

Have you tried what I recomended ?  It will drive you nuts until it clears....I feel for you
    • Posted

So this is normal? Ahhh i guess its good that its draining but its so uncomfortable!!

As i feel the gunk move down i start feeling even more pressure in my ears and headache sad this sucks so bad!

Is this how it felt for you?

• Posted

I would hate to keep going back to ENT doctor only for them to tell me the same thing: nothing is wrong, it takes time.

Ive never experienced this before so im freaking out sad

Would love to hear how drainage felt for you

• Posted

Hello Hannah,

Yes exactly the same.  I know my problems are sinus and allergies.  However, like I've said recently to lots of people on this Forum that I've had 5 months relief from this awful condition, from taking Prednisolone steroid tablets (20 day reducing course) then using Flixonase Nasule drops for 6 weeks, then reverting back to the Flixonase spray.  Fours days back on the spray and trouble back, left ear felt blocked again.  I gently tried to pop it and when it did I heard all sorts of crackling noises and when I wiggle my finger in my ear I can hear squelching, which indicates to me that I have yet another perforation, but so tiny the mucus won't drain out.  I 'phoned the hospital yesterday to try and get my twice yearly ENT appointment brought forward from February 2018....thankfully, they've put me in for next Thursday.  Hopefully, I'll have the microsuction procedure done again where all the mucky mucus is sucked out....alll will be well for a while, then it will all be back again.  Sadly, with what I've read on the internet not all the procedures available (tubes and balloon dilation) work for some people. M y consultant won't use them for me.  I think once the Eustachian Tubes start to become Dysfunctional, we are all stuck with this problem forever.  I've now been suffering this dreadful condition for 34 years on and off, but more on that off and it now seems to becoming a lt more often.  Prednisolone is the only thing that works for getting rid of all the inflammation and helping with sinus and allergies problems.  But they are a drug not recommended to use too often due to side affects when used for a very long time.  I probably have to use them for ETD apprx. every other year, just to give me soe relief.  It's trying to get to the bottom of the problems that causes it.  Do you suffer sinusitis ?

Anne

• Posted

Yep, exactly the same Hannah.....sounds like you're suffering sinus headaches.  I get them so

much due to sinus issues.  My ears still good, due to the medication I'm on....they only block

now once a weeks so now only have to use the Nasules when this happens.  I'm seeing my

ENT consultant next week.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.