Eustian tube dysfunction.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to Doctor related to common cold symptoms and pressure sensations in ears and pop in ears when swallow. Doctor gave me mendrol dose pack and said I had fluid in ear. Still having common cold symptoms. How long after cold symptoms go away and maybe get allergies better before goes away?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ugh it's the worst. My symptoms took almost a full month to lease . Even now, I still have some gunk up in my nose and my ears aren't fully cleared. I think it was about 2 weeks before my ears felt improvement. Something that really did help me was the Neti pot. While rinsing my ears I will try to shoot the liquid into my nasal passages a little so that it reaches my eardrums. It's not recommended but it does help for me and makes the infection go away sooner. Best of luck!

• Posted

Last winter when I got my eustachian tube dysfunction I was told up to 7 weeks. I am stuck with the problem, but hopefully you'll have better luck. 

• Posted

So you are still having trouble with Eustian tube dysfunction?
    • Posted

Yes, I have fairly sever issues with my ears now. It was a fluke, I guess, but it was from a cold. It is just as likely that you'll recover and my apologies, I'm not sure this is what you need to hear right now. I would take steriods - see an ent - it'll help clear it faster. 

• Posted

I started healing and got another cold and I'm back  in ths.tinnitus weird head sensations  and such.. so awul. making me  feel anxious now..

• Posted

Hello, eustachian tube dyfunction can take a very long time depending how thick the mucus is from your cold.  You may need to ask your doctor for a prescriotion for Flixonase Nasule Nasal Drops, they are steriod based and certainly help with mine.  I too suffer allgergy problems, that doesn't help with my ears either....luckily I seldom get colds and my glue ear problems are probably from allergies and sinus issues.  Also put boiling water into a bowl, put a towel over your head and breath steam in for 20 minutes, may un-stick your tubes.

Anne

• Posted

3-4 months is the real time for the fluid and stuff to resolve from my ent opinion and my last experience.. I just got the flu and cold and now i started all over ..its horrible. Its a little maddening i try to keep focused on something else. The ent isnt even very helpful either. No scans or anything. They just look in there with their light thing. I was told its retracted and fluid last time and a week ago. I cant take steroids but from what im reading it doesnt do all that much anyway for many people. Maybe you will get lucky. Who knew these weird thing hapoen. I also have a tinnitus thing going one ear just in case its not miserable enough. Many steamy showers and lots of liquids is all im doing.  Time will heal this at some point.
    • Posted

Lisa I'm so sorry you're dealing with this again. Have you tried shooting water from the neti pot into your eardrums? It sounds awful, but it does work and help to drain. Again, it's not recommended, but as long as you have distilled or boiled water in the netipot and you're on antibiotics it's safe. There's a how-to on the interwebsz i can dig up for you if you're interested in trying it. It ALWAYS helps me, and I've tried everthing, from steam showers to steroids. 

• Posted

Beth, could you pm me the video. I know the moderators will erase it otherwise. Interesting suggestion!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.