Everyone considers me to be a weird person?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am in the process of being referred to the local community mental health team and I have always felt weird and stupid, like I'm not normal, I have one friend, I always want to be by myself, I hate hate hate interacting with people because I'm scared I'll be judged, criticised, or rejected, I don't really consider myself to be an emotional person, I have cried a few times in the past year but I very rarely let out my emotions, I feel left out in my family, I don't know why though, I hardly have anyone to confide in, I'm OK in college but that's probably all, I have looked up Avoidant Personality Disorder, Asperger's Syndrome, Schizoid Personality Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder and I seem to resonate with most of the symptoms of these, this has been going on for at least 10 years now, so I'm not sure, it's gotten worse since I've started into adulthood and I'm 21 if that helps.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just sometimes it's not helpful to research the various disorders and syndromes that COULD be the problem, because it's almost inevitable that you'll think you've got them all. Perhaps it is wise to wait and hear what the community mental health person thinks. Then it might be a relief to get their opinion, whether your problem can be identified or not. The sooner you can get an expert view, the sooner you can start dealing with it. I do identify with how you feel, although it's a very long time since I was 21, but the help is out there, so take it and see what can be done. Remember everyone is different, and who's to say what is "normal". You can only be yourself really, and you are the best one at doing that, living your life with what nature has given you.
    • Posted

I know that this is the worst thing to do, but I want to find out what is causing me to be like this, the psychiatry has a long waiting list where I live (Northern Ireland - Southern Trust Area) and I'm sick of waiting for the appointment as it is taking far too long, tbh I don't really do much else on the internet, I have doing this for a while and I'm worried that it's going to cause me problems in the long run if I keep doing this.
  • Posted

I'm afraid I think a bit like Pixie. 

I have found that the diagnosis is just a its solving and stabilising the problems enough to understand them that's important. A label does help a lot of people as it's nice to know your not completely off the wall.

its all a case of tiny little steps.

• Posted

Id say focus on your studies. Hopefully youll get the appointment and a therapist at some point, but in the interim dont look to label yourself. The most successful people in this world tend to be different then the norm. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.