Excersise after Hystectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 11 weeks today after a full abdominal hystectomy I still have left hand side pain :-( and I reckon they took my memory as well as my womb, ovaries and cervix! I'm considering excersie... I used to go boxing but will this be too much! Thank you x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Maybe gentle exercise to start with then see if you can try what you used to in say a month or a bit longer
  • Posted

Hi, Karen, 

You might want to try Chi Gong (can't spell it) yoga, or just walking for a while....your external stitches can take 4-6 weeks to heal, but internally, it's longer, perhaps 6 months.  So do get cleared by your doctor before you do anything really strenuous!  

I hope you feel better soon.  I had the same surgery you did, on July 19, 2016, and at 67 am just beginning to feel like myself!  

Best of luck to you! xx

• Posted

I think I have to resort to the fact it's 6-12 months! Might do yoga and some walking thank you :-)

• Posted

I had thought I would surely bounce back sooner.  Let's face it-- it's major surgery!  About all the problems I've had so far are some mild vaginitis and now a UTI, but considering how long it's been, I feel pretty lucky!  

• Posted

Coming up to 8 weeks and seem to be more sore on right side than previously. Memory comes and goes so I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one. I have taken up brain training because I thought this was the beginning of the end! I had hoped to get back ballroom dancing and short mat bowling in 4 weeks but can't see this happening. Thank you, Karen (one of the other replies) for reassurance that you do get back to normal. 

• Posted

It's my memory that's driving me mad! I have to repeat myself all the time, I go to the shop for something and stand in there blank! It's worrying me! Then I'm getting anxious about it :-( it's still early days isn't it... let's hope 6-12 months we are all back to normal xx

• Posted

I would say wait until you aren't feeling as sore, and then take things gently.

I had a partial abdominal hysterectomy and it took time for the swelling to go down, and soreness to subside.

I found gentle stretching and strolls/walks, helped me gain strength. But if I had any shooting pains, or throbbing pains, I would ease off for a while.

I did find that if I moved too quickly or tried climbing over gates in fields the pain that could trigger was unbearable! It's a serious operation!

Now I am fine! I am so pleased to have had it as life is so much better now.

Good luck with things!

• Posted

Karen,

Your not alone... with the memory thing, 8 weeks today TAH, and my memory is the worst now, I did have some complications and was in hospital a month, but as far as the TAH it went great. I think you should be able to box just start off slow. I'm back to work full time, and I had the TAH, hernia repaired, with a mesh, where they cut abdominal muscles to place the mesh, so hernia would not return. I say go for it... Doc told me exercising was great. Good luck. Let me know how it goes if you do start boxing again. Trying to loose some weight myself. Down 31lbs since surgery.

Wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.