Excessive saliva

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have had a hiatus hernia for over 30 years. Up to now I have coped reasonably well. More recently symptoms are much worse. Most recent are choking and feeling like I have something stuck in my throat and now producing excess saliva. Consultant says this is all due to excess acid.  I also have severe pain with nausea and dizziness. I take lanzoprazole and gaviscon liquid. I also had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. I am so miserable as it is blighting my every day life. Any advice on alternative treatments please.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you having so much trouble Lynda, I've also had a sliding Hiatis Hernia for ove 30 years! Managing it as best I can. As you get older it seems to be more troublesome. I can only tell you what I'm on which keeps it manageable . One  40 mg of Nexiam & clopemon to help push the food down quicker & gaviscom when needed.I still have my gall bladder though .you won't need to be told what to eat & not what to eat I'm sure, fizzy drinks is a killer for me so I end up with still water. I don't have extra saliva but sometimes get the stuck in the throat one, no dizziness but a little Nausea now & then .ive not had an op for it choosing to battle on myself. Both my daughter & granddaughter have one too so you can pass it on. Hope you get some relief soon.  Ruby.
  • Posted

Hi Lynda , your symptoms are just like how I used to be, I had my gallbladder out about two years ago, I was told to go on a low fat/no fat diet , before and after gallbladder was taken out (I had a stone stuck in the bile duct) because apparently you can still make stones even after it is taken out , since cutting out fat I have had no symptoms from my hiatus hernia it's been brilliant , no reflux or burning or pain etc, I am still taking 40mlg of omeprozole although I might just cut it down to 20 mg see how I am , it's certainly worth a try cutting out fat , I hope you are feeling better soon as I know how ILL this can make you feel . X
  • Posted

Hi lynda 62840

you have had hiatus symptoms for a very long time, alot of people live with this condition and manage to cope with every day life . however when your symptoms increase to a state where your everyday life is miserable . it is time to consider other options. hernias do increase in size through time. if you have not already done so you may want to get a ct scan to determine the size of your hernia  a larger hernia would explain your increased symptoms. to have acid reflux for this lenght of time it could have scarred the lining of your oseophagus due to acid burning  making it harder to swallow with the risk of choking.when swallowing food ,have you had a recent endoscopy to check for inflamation of the linning of your osoephagus?

it doenst matter if you have excess acid it should not be refluxing past the valve at the top of your stomach and burning the lining of your osoephagus. i suffered similar symptoms as you for about fifteen years.and had an op and since that day i have never had any more reflux or swallowing problems or any more heartburn

the linning of your stomach is coated so the stomach does not burn  your osoephagus does not have this coating and can burn with constant acid reflux and can through time cause a condition called barrats osoephagus, if i were you i would ask for an endoscopy to check for acid scarring

i hope you feel better soon

Andrew

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

I know it's been a while since you posted this so hope you don't mind me jumping in. I've been scouring the 'net to find some info. and you seem to know a bit about this.

My dad has just been today for his gastroscopy and diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus. He's had a hitaus hernia for decades and controlled it by taking a mixture of bread soda and milk - the only thing that he could find to give him some relief from the constant acid reflux over the years. However, lately, his symptoms have become so bad that he has lost his breath on several occassions due to choking and it was so frightening we really thought there was something more sinister behind it, we didn't realise the hernia/acid reflux could cause this.

The doctor has advised that the bread soda has to stop and he's been prescribed lansoprazole for the longterm. He is also a smoker and hoping to take positive steps to try and stop or at least cut down.

I suppose what I'm looking for is any info on the success of the medication - dad is 79 and after years of nobody realising the pain he was in, has little faith in anything other than his own remedy. Is there any dietary tips you can give that I may not have come accross already? He loves what you would think is harmless fruit bread, yet on checking the ingredients, it's full of buttermilk and fruit which are highly acidic.

If you have any further information or anything that might help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Adimo,

Sorry to hear of your dad's plight.

There are probably about one million people in UK with BArrett's Oesophagus but less than 100,000 know they have it. They are the lucky ones who will recieve medicatio and regular surveillance every few years to ensure they do not develop oesophageal cancer - the fifth greatest cancer killer in UK (which leads the world in per capita mortality to the disease).

Most of us with Barrett's will never develop the cancer. If we were to, dysplastic mutations would be seen which typically take a few years to develop. At this stage, it would be possible to remove the Barrett's entirely using radio frequency ablation.

The dysplastic cells can continue to mutate to cancer. It is at this point when those who were unaware previously of any problem often present with symptoms too late because the cancer itself progresses very quickly and the prognosis for patients diagnosed at this stage can be measured in weeks rather than years.

The soda your dad used will only neutralise acid that has already been produced. Lansoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) that reduces the amount of acid the stomach is producing.

Barrett's Oesophagus develops as a result of acid + bile + reflux into the oesophagus. To prevent further damage, a least one of those elements needs to be reduced. PPIs are the most effective way of reducing acid.

If he keeps a food diary, he may be able to identify the particular food triggers he should avoid.

To reduce reflux, he may need to reduce weight (if neccessary), stop smoking (if applicable), avoid tight clothing, avoid over-filling his stomach (little and often is the way), avoid exercise or bending that would compress a full stomach, leave at least 3 hours between his last meal

and going to bed and raising the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches so gravity can keep any remaining stomach contents in their place.

​You may find more from the Barrett's forum.

Chris Robinson (chairman of patient supprot charity, Barrett's wessex)

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I can sympathis as I have had these, and many other problems associated with acid reflux, all my life - including developing Barrett's Oesophagus and respiratory problems. I had to have a fundoplication operation to reduce my reflux and I, too, have had my gall bladder removed.

Excess saliva ("water brash"), choking and the lump in the throat feeling (globus) are amongst the most commonly reported symptoms of extra-oesophageal reflux.

A hiatus hernia can reduce the operation of the lower oesophageal sphincter facilitating reflux. If that travels to the top of the oesophagus it can breach the upper oesophageal sphincter as well. (This is sometimes known as LaryngoPharyngeal reflux (LPR).)

And the refluxate doesn't even need to be acidic to cause the problems. Excess musous is triggered and the cricopharyngeal muscle of the upper oesophageal sphincter may spasm or tighten in an attempt to reduce LPR, causing the globus sensation.

You will need to attempt to reduce reflux.

You may find out more on the Barrett's forum.

• Posted

Auto emoji has changed the bracket above to a winking smiley!
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, I am on omeprazole, ranitidine and peptac prescribed by my doctor! I have found walking a lot more is calming it down a lot. I am not too happy having the fundo op as heard it does not always work! I am waiting for app at hospital! Thanks again 😀

• Posted

Hi,

i know its a good while since you posted but I too have lots of excessive sour saliva constantly in my mouth, I have had endoscopy and been diagnosed with small sliding hiatus hernia, no pain at all just this constant water brash making me feel nauseous I am on Omeprazole and gaviscon But is not helping! Did you get any help? 🤔

• Posted

Hi lynn, 

I’ve recently been told I too have a small hiatus hernia- my only symptom is excessive saliva and  it’s taking over my life, stopping me from sleeping, talking and concentrating on anything else! I am on esomeprazole and gaviscon with no improvements. I was wondering if you’d found anything that has worked for you? 

• Posted

Hi I still have this and no got no help, they want to put tube up my nose and down my throat to measure the acid for 24 hours but I am not to keen as this is only to see if I need the fundo op which I have read appears to be unpleasant! I constantly clean my teeth and chew sugar free chewing gum. I have stopped eating chocolate, don’t drink, no takeaways etc. I have however started walking more which I think has calmed it down a lot. It’s easy now summer has arrived,  good luck Hun and keep in touch 😀

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you've found a way to manage your symptoms smile Over the last few weeks I too have been doing a lot of walking, especially pleasant with the nice weather! However sadly it isn't doing anything for my symptoms. I'm meant to be at uni at the moment taking my exams but the hyper salivation is taking over my life - finding it difficult to talk for more than two minutes without getting nauseous and sleep is basically non existent, not to mention the constant need to swallow is preventing me from concentrating on anything else! Ive got an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow to see about that possibility as I can't keep going like this. Keep me updated on any progress! smile 

• Posted

Hi Amy, I hope the surgeon will advise you which way to go! It’s an awful illness and I too am waiting for an appointment to see someone! I am on Omeprazole, Ranatidine and Peptac, I am not getting any worse and never in any pain it’s just the excess saliva that bugs me, I chew sugar free gum often which does help a lot and liquorice too, my doctor told me to cut down on the liquorice though! Too much sugar which acid thrives on! Let me know how you get on! Take care 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.