​I am 10 wks since my op and do my exercises as normal  I am thinking

​of adding one of my own ....(The Plank) its good for strengthening the

​core  is a push up position use your forearms instead your hands and

​hold that position for as long as possible  ...any thoughts on it good

​idea or not so good input appreciated thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think it's a good idea, this is the excercise that alerted me to having a bad hip in the 1st place, thought I'd irritaded a groin muscle.  But I would have thought it would give strength all round the hip area.

• Posted

hi alex, 

I am not sure .... tendons, muscles and tissue probably are strong enough to carry the weight - I would ask a PT just to make sure that no damage will be done at this stage ..

This was one of my favorite yoga exercises, but wouldn't do them yet right now after 2 THR surgeries ... my arms are not strong enough redface

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey Alex, I am right behind you at 8 weeks post hip surgery. The plank is a favorite exercise and I highly recommend it. Also, I recommend using a stationary bike, chair yoga, and weight training. After the doctor released me from most restrictions at 6 weeks post op, I immediately began exercising both at a local gym and at home. At 66yo, I was shocked how much muscle mass was lost during that 6 week recovery period. With determination, I am completing three minute planks now, with a goal of a five minute plank within the next two weeks. Best regards on your continued recovery and journey back to full mobility.  
  • Posted

I am just 3.5 weeks post-op but I used to do planks pre surgery.  Right now I often lean against a counter with both hands on the counter and my feet back.  Then I engage my core and hold it for as long as I can.  Very similar to a plank but doesn't involve getting down onto the floor.  You can also add some push-ups too.

• Posted

Hi Alex, I have sent you a message, look at the envelope on the right, to read it !

jill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.