exercise for Osteoporosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have Osteoporosis of spine and a wedge fracture.  I would like to do some exercises to strenghen my back to prevent it becoming more bent. Who would be the best person to see about this? I was thinking about seeing an osteopath.

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, that's right.Then we will be set up to the therapist .

• Posted

That's right. Then that Doctor will send you to a therapist.

• Posted

So you think an Osteopath is the right person to go to.
  • Posted

A friend of mine, somewhat older than I am, was getting very bent over with OP of the spine.  She has started using walking poles.  I don't think she is able to use them quite accurately as Nordic walking requires, but she has straightened up really noticeably.  If you are still in relatively good shape, I recommend you take up Nordic walking.  It really helps with improving upper body strength and I think it's helping my posture, too.  This is as well as back exercises, of course.

• Posted

I should add that the instructor said that he'd worked with her to develop a way that she could use the poles, and he was thrilled with the result.  I think he looked on her as a poster child.  An additional advantage of walking with poles is they help people with balance problems, which could be useful knowledge for those who are afraid of fracture in the event of a fall, making it possibly even better than simply walking without support.  I suggest that it is probably the single most effective and safest form of exercise for those at risk of fracture.

• Posted

Would there happen to be a machine that mimics using the poles??  Was just wondering because i go to a gym.  It would be awsome if they had a machine that mimics it...... 

Jill

• Posted

Not being a gym user I have no idea.  I don't know how it could, though.  You need to be walking and swinging your arms and you are weight bearing with all four limbs so it's more complicated than a treadmill.

• Posted

The closest that I could come up with is a cross-trainer. There are three different types at the gym that I use: one uses the normal backwards and forwards with opposing hand/arm movements. Another can be used as a stepper to transfer weight to each hip/knee joint in turn. The third mimics the skiing movement where the legs slide out to the side. I don't know of one that totally mimics the pole walking movement but it is feasible that it could be possible with the right cross-trainer.

• Posted

I really don't know how, unless someone invented a purpose built machine.  You are walking, right?, so stepping with your foot onto the ground, which gives you a form of impact to increase the strength of your legs and maintain the density of various leg bones.  Simultaneously you are PUSHING with the poles, not just swinging your arms, and this gives you the impact on the arms and upper body which encourages upper body strength and contributes to maintaining or improving spine bone density.  I think it's the unique motion of the arms with the poles which would be really hard to replicate.  Unless there is a machine designed to replicate cross country skiing. 

• Posted

That makes sense..........  I hadn't thought about the "pushing" with the poles, but yes, that makes sense.  I was wondering about the elliptical, but I can see that it probably isn't equal.  I'm not sure it even allows enough movements of the arms.  I'll be at the gym tomorrow.  I think I'll walk around and see if there might be a machine that I haven't considered.  

• Posted

Hello Janet,

I think that you have received some good advice here on this forum, may I add pilates into the mix. I have a strong belief that appropriately targeted muscular strength exercises. If you think about sending bone china through the post without bubble wrap you would be taking a chance on getting it to its destination without breaking. This is how I see our bodies the stronger our muscles the more protection they are going to offer our bones.  I suppose an all round exercise programme supervised by a professional of your choice (I would go with the physio) is worth a shot. Keeping active is absolutely essential. Good Luck

• Posted

Janet, Whether you pick Pilates, Tai Chi, Yoga, Physiotherapy, just make sure that the  ' teacher' is professionally qualified and, very importantly, has extensive experience in dealing with patients with osteoporosis. Otherwise you could do more harm than good.  . . . J

• Posted

I swim and have a personal trainer at the gym. I can't hurt myself then! Have done Tai Chi in the past which was really good, I have 14 wedge fractures (and hip # 10 years ago) so have to be careful.

• Posted

It seems that Tai Chi is just brilliant for anyone esp. those with fractures or those with balance problems. Though really gentle, it can improve bones apparently. I'll do my minimum for the moment but Tai Chi does appeal on the basis of 'cannot do any harm, can only help'.   J

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.