Exercise, when can I start and how much

Posted , 6 users are following.

7 weeks recovery tomorrow and I'm feeling good. I've been out walking gently this week built it up to about 30-40 mins. I'm hoping to start swimming next week but would like advice, Can't feel many stitches now so think I could be ready.

im 44 and up until my op I was very active which included swimming 2.5kms a week (100 lengths of a 25m pool twice a week in an hour) I've been doing this for the last 7 years 

obviously im not going to be able to do anything like that at the moment but i would like to do a little swim as I'm missing it so much my body is crying out for the flexibility and weightlessness the pool gives.

how long should I swim for?? And do you think it's ok at 7 weeks?

rectocele and bowl Plication op is what I'm recovering from.

thanks girls

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Beetlebugmik,

Glad to hear you are recovering well.

Matron or Stephanie (physio),will be able to help you with the question of when and how much swimming you can do.

I am 8 weeks post op and started swimming 2 days ago, rested yesterday, and went to pool again today. Went for my 20 min walk then managed 10 lengths today.

But feel like I overdone it, every time I take a step it is a little painful. So going to test up for a couple of days. Don't think it was the swimming, think it was the walk. I was walking at faster pace than I usually do as my time was limited for getting a lift home.

It is really good to swim as you says it's the weightlessness that gives the freedom to move without pressure on the pelvic floor.

Hope you manage to get started soon,

Phyl ☺☺☺

• Posted

Thank you Phyl, sounds like you are making good progress too and you also like me have a physical job (I work in a special school which can be very demanding physically).

Like you I did too much the other day so rested up which as we both know is the only thing to do,  (I have another 5 weeks off work on consultants orders) but I'm thinking of going on Tuesday after the bank holiday madness when it's a bit quieter and not so competitive.

i drive but as yet haven't wanted to but think I might give it a go today.

thank you for your advice and keep up your good work

Mik X

• Posted

Drove about 6 miles on a return journey home today, all fine and feeling like i've gained my freedom back a little wouldn't want to go to far yet but I'm happy I can make a quick trip out if I need to 😊
    • Posted

Hi Lv well done small amounts and build up, I was like that after the hystorectomy however I think this is very difrent to that operation

keep me updated on your progress I work all over the country chic driving 4 hours at a time only 11 days post op xx

• Posted

Did yuou have a swelling bulge in front wall Phyllis? Interested to know ad we all heal at different tastes.xx
    • Posted

Hi Welshgirl,

Yes, both times had swelling on front wall, but is going down much faster this time . I am pretty sure that it has been much more successful this time.

Oddly enough have not been aware of any swelling at all at posterior end, just a bit lumpy and sore on perineum and a bit nippy deep in left groin area.

Perineum area now smother and no longer nippy but still sometimes feel nippy in left groin.

Not suprised by that as had appendix out when I was 16 years old, also had drain (as abcessed ); scar was nippy on and off for years, especially when pregnant. Still occasionally get a nip from scar area.

First time round I also had hysterectomy with anterior, prolapse was much worse and therefor repair more extensive so think that's why it took so much longer for swelling to go down, and it's was much more uncomfortable.

How are you anyway, hope everything progressing well. First few weeks seem to take forever to pass, it will go quicker once you can start regular walks and start pottering about the house.

Take care and keep resting,

Phyl 💖💖💖

• Posted

Bulge in front wall normal swelling for yuou too then.its scared me. Xx
    • Posted

Doing well so far hun.lots of love Phyllis. Xxx
    • Posted

I suppose when you think what we undergo during surgery we shouldn't be suprised that it takes so long for swelling to go down.

First time round I was blending and juicing (making shakes and smothies).

Using coconut milk, almond milk, crushed almonds, pineapples, lots of fruit and anything that was meant to be good for ligamenta, tendons or aiding healing.

But I think the length of time it takes has more to do with how extensive the repair us and down to us resting as much as possible in early weeks! It just can't be rushed.

Look after yourself and try not to worry. Swelling will go down in its own time.

Phyl 💖💖💖

• Posted

Hi Phyllis love,I am 2 WK post anterior tomorrow.all of a sudden I feel

Very uncomfortable down there.. And I felt stitches inside and I nearly

Fainted lol.this heavy feeling just like a bulge is there too.

Did yiuhave this feeling love.I'd love to hear your experience at this time

Of recovery.lots of love to yuou.xxxx

• Posted

Hi Welsh girl,

Yes, I remember feeling really nippy and bumpy around perineum at posterior end, one end of a stitch kept jagging me, had a look was like catgut very uncomfortable.

Felt a little sore deeper in lower left groin.

Swollen lumpy bulge inside anterior wall, a little discomfort when trying to walk, think because it's so dry and and sensitive as it's still healing.

Try not to worry, you should be fine as long as you take it easy and don't over do things still need to be horizontal most of time.

Healing hugs,

Phyl xx💖

• Posted

This surgery usually causes more discomfort and pain as the weeks progress. It's because the sutures tighten as they heal. It often alarms ladies because it's not typical of other surgical procedures where the pain gets better as the weeks go by. 
    • Posted

Yes love,I've done nothing for 2 weeks,and I mean nothing. My husband has

Been amazing..all I have done is lay,sit with legs out,toilet,walk and back laying

down again.I refuse to lift or bend for 6 wks.xxxx I refuse to lift Hoover's and irioning

boasrds ever again lol

• Posted

Matron you are absolutely correct.today I've cried twice, and nearly passed out with what I saw. Not looking again!!!xxx
    • Posted

No don't look and please try not to worry because you are making yourself ill. Bed early and rest xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.