Expected more at this stage

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 43 years of age and on 20th Feb had a full left hip replacement. I had a lateral cut and not a cut in the buttock. Day 5 i am finally home but in excrutiating pain to the point i cant even get out of bed. My left leg is very swollen and as such i cant sit in a chair. 

I am told because i am younger the muscles were tighter with more nerve endings. But i am still on serious ammounts of painkillers. I am concerned that if i just sit here it will get worse, but also i physically cannot sit down in a high propper chair,,,,,,,,,i feel trapped and really wish i could be more mobile by now. I am not expecting miracles and i know i am in in for the long haul but this is really deliberating ,,,,,,,Has anybody else experienced this issue at day 5,,,,,,,again i know its early.

Also to note my nurses were getting me out of the wrong side of bed for two days ! with a lateral and with this specific surgeon he insists getting out on your non opperated site,,,,,,just wondering if this has been caused by poor practice?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 66 and had the posterior approach with about a 12" scar. Been one year now. Former Marine and was in good shape except for the hip. Spent 3 days in the hospital. If I recall day 5 it was not a picnic. Suspect you will have pain for another few weeks. Did you watch the operation on YouTube? It is pretty brutal. Walk when you can, rest and ice, take your pain pills. Everyone is different. Rest up and it will get better each day.

• Posted

5 days is still early. Don't worry too much. I didn't have swelling and only used panadol and ipbrufen by this stage but we are all different and each result is different. I am 52.

I was however, really uncomfortable in a chair. I used my bed most of the time for first 4 weeks. Got up every hour but back to the bed.

As for getting out of bed. Physio said which ever side worked best. I got out operation side.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sorry u had THR and I know thru three that each one is full of pain & healing looking foreword for recovery is the goal & recovery within 6-8 months. The pain can be controlled now with pain meds. If you don't have enough pain med call,for more it's very important to keep pain under control it effects healing and exercises .

I was getting out wrong side of bed cuz bed was against wall. As long as you keep your leg straight and full on out taught by nurse always straight out op leg remember restrictions 90%. Also a leg helper like a dog leash wire in long area leash straight out with open collar end to put foot in to lifbup until ur stronger. If you drop something use reacher, if you need socks on use sock helper for assistance. PT will help you thru all the different stages and ajpdjustments we hippies go through. After you know all the restrictions it will help you get stronger.

Using walker canes walk, walk, walk,as much as you can tolerate.building those musclesis important to help stabilize the implant. Healing is individual. 

i know within time you will get thru this very difficult time. And soon you will have a better quality of life.

• Posted

Afternoon Mark. Wow I think you should get checked just to make sure all is ok with your new joint. Yea sometimes these people are not really paying attention to what should be done. While in rehab I made sure these people knew what my de wanted and what I could and couldn't do. If I was in question of something I was calling his ofc to see what his thoughts were about this. He is good at answering questions and always addresses my concerns. I had my first hip replacement in July, 3 weeks later I find out I dislocated it 2 days later I'm having to have a total hip revision. 6 weeks non weight bearing! But I never had problems with sitting I was in a wheelchair for most part and hopping on one leg with a walker to go to restroom or bed. Took awhile for me to feel confident using crutches as I was afraid I would fall. My shoulders were killing me so I thought maybe crutches would help some. I was 53 when I had these surgeries. Was an avid gym goer!! Did lots at home was always active!! But I really think you should get it checked out. Hope you feel better soon. I know it's frustrating and discouraging. But I promise you it does get better. I'm at 6 mons now. No pain with walking or sitting. Just dealing with muscles and nerves. Dr put me on gabapentin which is helping a lot with the pain still sensitive when I touch my thigh. It's all from being short and now I've got almost my full length back! So these muscles and tendons are being stretched so am very tight and of course the nerves are bothersome. Hope all goes well for you. Come back and let us know how you are doing. But again get checked out. 🤗🤓🤠??

• Posted

Great story Linda. Right on, as many hippies have difficulty with recovery in some way. I too had revision & a fracture was found during surgery. So 7 weeks out still on walker. Shoulders, wrists and palms are very sore. Aggravated arthritis in other areas. So after 10 days of rehab now home just taking it one day at a time.

Your story is more the norm for revisions take longer for recovery.

Many healing blessings sent ur way.

Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you Hope! I appreciate that. I wasn't expecting a revision so soon!! But that's my story and yeah the road to recovery has been rough and bumpy, now the road is starting to smooth somewhat and getting shorter. And yes my wrists and hands were so sore to. Was using weight lifting gloves to help cause my hands were calloused. And like you said the aggravating arthritis in my shoulders. I too was in rehab for 2 weeks. You and I are almost mirrored in our stories. Wishing you all the best in your recovery. Hugs, 🤗🤗 LD

• Posted

Linda, yes we both seem to have followed the same path to recovery. I am in a class action law suite due to Stryker implant recall it was metal on metal done 2011 . Caused many problems was on a cane for 3 of the last few years  waiting for the doc to justify revision. Cobalt posioning, pseudo tumors, swollen lymph glands,necrosis erosion around the femur neck just some of the injuries I suffered.

the first thing the surgeon said after removing the recalled Stryker  metal on metal xplant from my surgeon was, your surgeon who put that Stryker implant in was really good, he did a great job. Now that's just what you want to hear after forced revision surgery due to recall of the components. If I wasn't still in the recovery room barely able to speak I would have replied well I wouldn't be here right now it weren't for that excellent surgeon that did such a good job implanting a device that was metal on metal recalled by manufacturer which from complications I lived in constant pain for the last 6 years. I'm still,sitting here in utter shock. Yet that is the arrogance and mind set of THR surgeons. I seen more than a few in my day! They all have a know it all,attitude instead of helping a patient that has complications. They just blew me off. It's tiresome, annoying and frustrating. I know. Until you go thru it don't judge. Last sentence for others who may be saying how negative I am. I am pushing thru some of the worst pain in my life . It's takes a lot of courage to go THR revisions that are complicated as well as a broken femur all those years dr says well I'm sorry that's why you were in so much pain the fracture didn't show up in X-rays or MRI's. REALLY !!!!

Hopexxxx

• Posted

I hope no one is saying how negative you are. You've had a truiy horrible time. I hope that things will gradually get better for you. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hope4cure, how absolutely awful for you! You have suffered mightily for 6 years and counting. Hard to believe that fracture didn't show up on x-ray or MRI. Looking back at those images post-revision-op, can they see it now, knowing where it was?

Best of luck with the lawsuit, and with your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Congratulations, all be it uncomfortable, on being on the other side of this process. Take each day one at a time. Do not force yourself to sit or expect to sit for any extended period Of time. In my first days my husband thought I should be up more and so I would sit in a chair for one to two and a half hours. It wasn't until the PT came in and we discussed that she said the expectation was for the first week not even 30 minutes at a time. Just as much as your body will tolerate.

They gave me isometric exercises to keep my movements going - pointing my toes, flexing my heels, doing toe circles to the left and right. And then also isolating the different muscles my calves my hamstrings, my thighs, and my glutes. That is enough exercise for Where You Are.

I turned 58 the day before having my total left hip replacement on February 2nd.

Hang in there it does get better, like an inchworm, each day.

Kristen

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your pain.  No harm in contacting your doctor.  Keep your leg elevated and use a hydrating cream.  I had bilateral hip replacements were swollen for months.  They said to expect that.  Good luck with everything and may the pain go away!

• Posted

Hi Mark, sorry you are experiencing so much pain.It doesn't seem like it now but I promise it will improve with time. I also had LTHR by the lateral approach. Now 5 weeks out and all is well except for a limp if I walk without a cane. I am a 70 year old female, but sure don't feel my age!Very active prior to surgery and still work a 40 hr week. Currently out on disability for a few weeks and going to outpatient therapy at the hospital which I believe is helping to regain range of motion and strength.I remember day 5 for me and at that time I had a sharp pain in my ankle that I thought I would have forever! It does take time and perservance but you will get better. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Take care and feel better.😊

• Posted

Poor you Mark.  

I had the posterior approach THR on left in Sep the day after my 45th birthday.  My surgeon told me on the day of surgery that it is much more painful in recovery for younger patients due to muscle density etc, so dont be brave take the pain relief.  I do remember it being suprisingly painful and not enjoying sitting in a chair.  Make sure you keep on top of your pain relief, but do your exercises and sit for aslong as you can bear just to be upright for a bit, stand if more comfortable.

Are you taking oral blood thining meds? I remember being told that it is very common that your leg can swell as a result of taking this, mine didn't particularly, so it might be worth contacting your consultant rearding the swelling, this may add to discomfort too.    

I do recall each day got better, hang in there, but get help if you are concerned, trust your instinct.  Be assured it does get better, it is very early days for you, resting is so important, eating  well and drinking plenty of water.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Day 5 for me, still in bed, not much time sitting in a chair i'm afraid, only way I could was to lean over and sit on other hip for a few weeks post surgery.

Take the strong pain killers on a regular basis for say 14 days, as per perscripton, then you will find you can step down to panadol.

Do some exercises, flexing feet up and down, squeezing buttocks and then relaxing, lifting knees up and down, in bed, slide heels along on sheets, all this movement helps with pushing the swollen fluids back into your belly, also when standing at sink washing your hands after toilet, some dips, no more than an inch or two, bend knees just a little and stand up again, great for swollen legs, more movement getting rid of that swelling, I was told 5 times each exercise X 5 times a day, and then build it up from there, I was shown these exercises in the hospital, and given a sheet with info when I was sent home.

I built my dips up to every time I stood at bathroom sink or kitchen I was dipping up and down, husband laughed and said i looked crazy but it did help.

Just watch for dry heels, some moisturizer will help for feet, but get someone else to rub in, don't try it yourself.

As someone else said it a slow process but each and every day you feel a little better.

Uncle who had also had THR said 1% a day improvement, I agree he was about right, a week from now you will notice the difference.

• Posted

Mark, you may be seriously undermedicated. What are you taking for pain, and how often? I was on a heavy duty opioid for 5 weeks post op, round the clock. Weaned off in the fifth week. If you are taking effective pain meds throughout the day and night and are still unable to even get out of bed, then a call to your surgeon would be in order. I'd be calling him, if it were me!

All I did for the first several weeks after my lateral THR was go from bed to bathroom to dining room table (where someone brought me food) and back again. I was unable to sit anywhere except for bed and on a high chair at the table for 6 weeks. I needed help getting in and out of bed for two weeks. 

Many people need less pain medication than I did, and are mobile sooner. Others take longer. Your recovery is unique to you. You can't hurry it up, but you can hinder it.

For swelling, what is recommended is rest, elevation of the leg and ice, all of them as much as possible. 

This is major surgery, and if you look at a YouTube video of the operation, you may have more respect for just how much healing your body has to do to recover. I am now 4 months out from my second hip surgery, this time for torn gluteal tendon repairs in the same leg as the THR. I am still limping a bit and having pain and am not back to my normal flexibility or strength either. 

Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.