Extraction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anybody ease my worries at all, Due to have 2 wisdom teeth out and 2 back teeth out on the 20th october, Having iv sedation has anybody had this? have been told that i wont know what is happening is this true? To say im worried is an understatement!!!! Please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

With general anesthesia you won't feel or aware of anything. You will be completely unconscious during the dental procedure. However with any procedure, you will experience some pain afterwards but there are prescription drugs for that. You will be alright!

• Posted

Hello Charlotte

First of all don't panic!

I had this procedure done years ago.

You will not know what's going on. I just remember an icy feeling in my arm my head feeling heavy then I was out.

Next time I knew I was laying down on a bed feeling so sleepy and cotton wool in my mouth.

There wasn't much pain after

I remember just eating light mashed potato when I got home. Never had any trouble after that..

It's a common thing nowadays.

You will be fine.😀👍

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth for your reply, Did you have Iv sedation or were you put out at hospital?
    • Posted

Hello Charlotte

I was put to sleep in the dentist chair in a dental referral centre. I had IV injection in my arm and that was it.

I woke up after feeling sleepy still from the drugs I was okay though.

You will be fine.

I was more scared having an MRI scan than having my wisdom teeth out and overcrowded teeth when I was a child.😀

Don't worry though it's everyday routine for dentists these days.

Let me know how you are after you had it done. Liz👍😀

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, Contrary to what another poster has said, IV sedation isn't the same as a general anaesthetic. The idea is to keep the patient conscious but calm.

However, it can feel as if you've had a GA as many people who have this kind of procedural sedation find that they have no memory of the procedure afterwards.

Whether you remember it or not, you should have an easy time with this kind of sedation. Don't worry about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.