Extreme anxiety, muscle and throat problems

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, I am very new to this forum.  I am looking for some help with regard to feelings of extreme anxiety and muscle weakness sensations which are in my arms and legs and I even feel weakness in my face and throat muscles. This is really worrying me.  My periods were very irregular throughout 2015 and the last one I have had was about 9 weeks ago.  I am 52 years old.  I have convinced myself I have some awful disease. Has anyone suffered any similar feelings or sensations in menopause? Many thanks.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I do experience from time to time muscle aches in my arms and sometimes my upper thighs or hip bones ache at night. About 7 mos. ago my body went through a complete transformation. I lost a lot of weight mistly in my arms and legs. All my clothes were baggy on me. Drove me nuts. Had all kinds of tests too and drs. could find nothing wrong. Granted I needed to lose the weight but I was not really trying. Just was coming off like butter.

Sometimes I do get pins and needles in my arms whenever I pull them up or bend them at the elbow. This only happens at night though, and not all the time. Feel like I've lost a great deal of muscle mass in my arms and its hard to get it back. My legs are just now starting to plump up again, but still not exactly where they were.

I just take ibuprophin for the aches and pains and it seems to help.

• Posted

I have expierenced the same sensations and it can be worriesome. Today I have the nervousness and jitters. I noticed my sensations are hightened around the time of my menses which is due in another week. My menses has been irregular the last couple of months as well. You are certainly not alone.
  • Posted

Hi,I have a lot of anxiety,aches and pains I arms'legs and body,I'm only 46 and some days I feel 90.My arms feel numb at times,the list goes on,I listen to mindfulness meditation to help me relax x
  • Posted

Hi

Yes sounds like your in peri, your classed as post, when yo havent had a period for a full year, symptoms will be a lot better after that. but will still continue

• Posted

Hi, 

Oh it's SO common. I found this site about 1 year ago through the link below.  You'll find tons of help here, I'm still experiencing alot of the same symptoms but the debilitating ones are gone.  Most of it resolves around muscle pain. I was very weak for a long time until I started taking a multi vitamin, Vit D, Magnesium and krill oil faithfully.  Now the weakness and tingling is gone but the muscle pain lingers.  It's good some days, bad at others.  My back muscles tighten up and magnesium citrate orally or topically helps alot.  Good luck in your research as you start to read.   

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/perimenopause-and-severe-joint-pain-any-one-else--36790

• Posted

Hiya I am so with you Hunni !! I am the same age as you and have been irregular thi slast eyar. Off and on then spotting then nothing then loads etc etc. I get very anxious about health in general and get paranoid I have awful things. I have been checked but every ache and pain I worry ridiculously at times. I get so frustrated with myself over this at times as I just cannot shut my mind of when its really bad.

I sometimes get weak in my muscles in my arms and legs and feel kind of heavy with no energy. I also experience very mild tingly hands and wrists. Doc said thi sis nothing to worry about - but I can't help worrying!!

You aren;t alone hun and I hope this Forum will help you realise we are all inthis together and getting or worries off our chests here really does help.

Take care and I hope you are starting to feel reassured xxx

• Posted

Many thanks to everyone for your swift replies and support.  I feel quite isolated at the minute as none of my female friends say they have had these problems.   Tried talking to my mother who just says "Pull yourself together".  So Your help is really appreciated as I am driving myself nuts with worry - especially about the odd swallowing sensation - it feels like I don't have throat muscles anymore.  I can't believe this is all to do with menopause.  Thanks again everyone.    
    • Posted

It can become very frustrating when talking with anyone who just don't get it. I felt so alone and was tired of being blown off for the lack of a better word whenever I tried to tell anyone how I was feeling. My aunt told me about peri and found this forum. It was the best ever. The ladies here are so supportive, they understand, they share their experiences and gives loads of helpful suggestions. Just know you are not alone. This place is here for you and we will all get through this. Continue to share!! Jamie
    • Posted

Thank you for your support.  My husband thinks the throat thing is down to anxiety over the menopause.  I did suffer from anxiety several years ago and know the many symptoms it can raise but this seems to be totally different to anything I experienced before.  My husband is very caring and has persuaded me to go to our GP but I dont mind admitting that I am terrified that the Dr is going to give me some distressing news when I tell him of my symptoms.  I cannot stop crying today and waiting for the appointment tomorrow seems to be making things worse, not better. It is helping tremendously to talk to people here.  Thank you for your kindness.  
    • Posted

Drew, I have a dr. app tomorrow too and I am also very afraid. I am trying to cope and not be fearful. I do have faith and I am praying about it/. One thing my uncle told me a year ago about fear and doctors, he said the vast majority of times no matter what is going on there is treatment, because we live in an era of modern medicine and thats what I tell myself. Here is my theory about our anxiety: We have so many symptoms that bombard us we just cannot believe that hormonal rollercoasters can do this, and so we fear the worse. But, I think that you and I are just dealing with hormonal problems, we were healthy and good before so it has to be this. I will be here tomorrow to report about my appointment.
    • Posted

Hi Lennie, thank you for your replies which are offering great reassurance. Hope all goes well for you at your appointment today. 
  • Posted

Hi your not alone mine went into my Jaw causing tmj very painful , I have found using magnesium really helps with the muscles take at night that's the best time in fact magnesium oil is better absorbed , at some point I couldn't even swallow quite frightening but I feel as I'm getting there. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice.  Did you feel that your throat muscles were weak.  I don't have pain or trouble swallowing.  I just cant really feel food or drink going down anymore.  It has been like this for a week now.  Many thanks once again.  
    • Posted

Hi no I could feel food in the throat, it was just the swallowing at times. Chewing food is a problem as well, my chiropractor says it's the muscles in my face an neck causing the problem. Would think it's all on the same lines though. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.