Extreme Knee Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently my knee has started to hurt. I am no longer able to run with excruciating pain and can barely walk with lots of pain. I was wondering.what is causing this pain and if I need to see a doctor.

HELP!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say what is causing this and do I need to see a doctor?
    • Posted

Hi Bob YES. You do need to see a dr because he or she will need to actually see and examine your knee and possibly order a scan to find out what is going on.

​A number of things can be responsible for your signs and symptoms and your dr or an A and E are the best people to advise you.

You should not weight bear until you get a diagnosis especially if your knee is swollen.

​Take care

• Posted

Exactly.  Stay off the knee as much as possible until you see an ortho.  If you don't have one, do some research and see what groups take care of the professional and college sports teams in your area.  The doc might want you to have an MRI before the visit...be prepared to do that.  Also, any imaging study may not reveal the underlying cause of your pain...happened to me four times.  In that case, the doc will "scope" the knee to see what's going on.  Be prepared for that too.  

• Posted

Yes, you do need to see a doctor, and have a magnetic resonance probably to see what is going on inside your knee.  could be the meniscus damaged . . could be bone on bone. . .Pain is always a warning that something is wrong!  Hope you get it sorted!

• Posted

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback!!
  • Posted

In  the meantime until you see a  Doctor it may help the pain if  you use ice packs. It can also sometimes help to  rest  with your leg up higher  than   your heart also  have you got any creams such as Deep Heat or  anything like  that  you could rub on your knee to relieve the pain ? .Depending on how old you  are  you may have osteoarthritis & it  may help  to take  some  anti inflammatory  pain killers  such as Nurofen etc but maybe speak to your local  pharmacist to check this out until  you can  get in & see  your Doctor Good luck & I hope you get this sorted out soon..

• Posted

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.