Extreme lethargy after quitting alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well, first the good news. I've not had a drink for 43 days. But I'm experiencing extreme lethargy - I'm just exhausted the whole time. Little energy to do anything other than go to AA meetings. I've been a heavy, daily drinker most of my adult life so expected some side effects and I'd take the tiredness if it means I stay sober any day. But does anyone else have experience of this? And any recommendations? I've started going for walks every morning (too tired for,proper exercise) and taking vitamin supplements, trying to eat healthily etc. Thanks, Ned

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ned,

I take Magnesium supplements (in powder form because it absorbs easier into your system) and that helps with anxiety, lethargy and sleeplessness.  I also drink herbal teas such as Verveine, Tilleul and Cammomile.  Good luck staying with your sobriety!

• Posted

My opinion..and this helped me...I have about the same amount of sober time.

Is drink WATER.  LOTS of it...you sound dehydrated.  When I entered the hospital as a daily drinker..I needed 7 bags of fluids to be put in my veins....because of dehydration.

I was then told by the Dr. of all the things dehydration causes and fatigue is a major one, dizziness, pain in muscles and joints.....etc.

And some vitamin C...

• Posted

Ned, I too suffered extreme exhaustion for several years. I found out 4 years ago the hard way by (while drinking) I walked into the edge of the bathroom door frame and bruised my left rib cage. This led to an infection in the lung that required antibiotics for 4 months which meant I wasn't to smoke or drink - or else!

Once healed, like an idiot i was back to my old habits.

It took all of the 4 years to recoup to the level I could start re-riding my mountail bike. More exercise other than just walking. Work out programs are too hard to do at 63.

It just takes time my friend and keep working on the 43 days and counting. 

• Posted

Thanks all for your suggestions, most appreciated. 😀😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.