Extreme pain lower ribs on right

Posted , 4 users are following.

After sudden extremely visious pain on my RHS lower rib cage,I made it to a GP before closing time - just! She took urine sample,checked my pulse and told me there was nothing wrong with my kidneys so I must have bruised my ribs!

i would certainly know if I'd done anything to bruise my ribs,but she said to take ibuprofen.

i take antidepressant medication and following 3 serious abdominal operations over past 10 years,suffer the pain of adhesions. 

This new lower rib pain is something I've never experienced before - I can hardly sit or lie down,turn round,or bend.

i never consult internet on any medical probs,or I would have myself dead in 24hrs! This pain however is definitely NOT rib bruising and it's hellish .

can anybody give me a clue? It's my lower right side,not my left so I doubt it's chostochronditis ? I will have to see a doctor again tomorrow as pain is so intrusive and I would like her to consider other poss causes.

thanks anyone who can guide me - I am insulin dependent diabetic.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Hope you are feeling a little better. I was diagnosed with Tietze syndrome in 2010 and it started with the same pain you are having in your ribs, as unexplained by your doctor on this occasion he/she was right to say to take ibuprofen as it acts as an anti inflammatory if you take this with paracetamol then hopefully it should ease. because if your health situation everyone is different therefore no one can diagnose for you but a professional only.

Yes you do right to get a second opinion I am sorry if I haven't been much help but please keep us updated and try to relax your body and be as comfortable as you can be xx

• Posted

Thank you Debbie, I will suggest this to my usual GP tomorrow,provided I can get an appointment !

i am so grateful to know that you have suffered the same. X

• Posted

Lorraine,

I also have lower right rib pain that eventually travelled around to my sternum.  I also have had shoulder and lower back pain, and was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rhematica a year ago.  I was put on prednisone (the standard and only effective treatment) and the pain went away almost immediately.

As I have been weaning myself off the prednisone, the pain in the lower right rib area has returned, but is managable.

I'm sorry to hear of your pain, and am not necessarily suggesting that you have PMR -- just sharing my experiences.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.