Extreme Period Pain - Doctors Appt later...

Posted , 2 users are following.

After suffering since Sunday with cramps, nausea, dizzy, feeling cold, heavy bleeding, the list goes on, i have booked a doctors appt for later on this afternoon....

It is with a female GP i have not seen before rolleyes

I have seen my GP countless times but he just fobs me off with any type of NSAIDS he thinks could help, when they dont even touch it.

I am currently taking Ibuprofen every 4 hours which is calming my period down but i am still in agony.

Any advice for when i see the female DR later?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Update from yesterday saw the female GP who i must say was far more understanding than i thought.

Gave me Mefenamic Acid tablets to see if they help, have been on these before so i know they do trouble is the pain is harder to control now as it has taken hold. ive still had them but they are not making much difference.

She advised to see how i go and to go back if they dont help.

For the last 3 months they seem to be getting worse pain wise.

Happier now i have seen her will go back if i need to.

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

When I did have periods from my late teens thriough to my thirties they were like yours, extremely painful so much so that I was unable to move, couldn't keep down painkillers, had diarhhea and vomiting, often fainted, but thankfully this usually only happened on the first day.

The only thing that stopped the pain was not having periods! I was prescribed Cerazette many, many years ago and from day one had no more periods, no acheing breasts - nothing. Maybe painkillers have improved in the last 15 years but I honestly could find nothing to work then. I would recommend Cerazette to anyone in the same position, however I have heard that not everyone's periods stop with it. It could be worth a try for you if the Mefenamic doesn't work.

I remember being in hospitable for a few days after a car accident. I was in a lot of pain but nothing compared to when my period started after a couple of days. I remember a nurse laughed at me when I asked for a top up of painkillers saying there was no need for period pain! Silly woman. I wish I could have vomited on her shoes but unfortunately missed!

I am now back having periods (not my choice) and recently the female chemist looked aghast when I asked for Propanolol for period pain (despite it saying quite clearly on the packet suitable for period pain). She again was implying there was no need for a strong painkiller for period pain. As it is the pain isn't as bad now, not debilitating, but the painkillers don't seem to make a dent.

Hope you find relief quickly.

• Posted

Hi Maggie,

I so wish mine was for the first day so far since sunday its been pure agony, i had the anadin period pain tablets they numbed it a bit but by the time i had got an appt it was too late to stop the cramps in their tracks.

ooh i wish it was that simple.

Dont you love pharmacists mine suggested ibuprofen bet you can guess what i told him, he got politely told to mind his own and get what the doctor had given me.

The Mefenamic are dulling the pain but not taking it away i normally have to take these at least the day before for them to work.

Although i have to say the female GP i saw was far better than any male GP at my practice.

Thank you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.