Extremely annoyed with COPD Nurse

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all.

I was diagnosed 3 yrs back with COPD and was measured at 67% FEV1.

1yr later dutifully went back and didn't feel any worse.

Had Spironmetry and was told - No Difference.

Didn't see much point in goimg every year exposing myself to the waiting room so decided to miss it till the following year.

Reading this time - 51%

EH!!! How come I think to myself.

What was I originally,  I asked - she checked and it was 67%

And the following test, I asked. 'Oh 62%'  I'm told.

Would YOU be annoyed?

So, for want of better knowledge (And none was offered) I must assume I shall degrade at 5% per year giving me just another 10 yrs to go.

I am 67 yrs young at present (And can STILL walk 3 miles).

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yeah I have had a annoying nurse myself. But I learned those numbers do bounce around some also. Now in my case it was extreme because I didn't give it my all the first time and the second it had jumped up over 20 points.

Anyway if it went from 67 to 62 in a 3 year time frame that wouldn't be 5 percent a year. You said you skipped a year so that would be 5 every 2 years but I don't think that is set in stone. You probably can be higher or lower depending on the day. I'm not a expert cause I myself am new to this but I think people would agree to not start counting your days or years just yet.

• Posted

good for you being able to walk 3 miles ,,,,but how often do you/can you do that ? ,exercise is one of the best things you can do to help yourself along with not smoking of course,,,,as a for instance ,, from December 2015 until august 2016 I was unable to exercise as usual ( gym 2 times a week ) due to a different health problem,and when I  had my lung function tests in the September my fev had dropped to 63 ,consultant was talking about me going on supplementary oxygen ,,,,I refused and said with exercise ( the other health problem was dealt with fully ) I can get the fev numbers up ,he said I would have another test in December ,,,,I spoke to the copd nurse at pulmary rehab and the trainer at the gym I attend and we decided to exercise 4/5 times a week instead of the usual 2 ,but instead of 1 hour ,,, I was to do 40/45 minutes so I recovered better ,this I did ,and when I had the tests again  in December ,my fev had gone up to 76 ,so no more talk of the oxygen ( for now haha) so the benefits of little and often are much better for us with lung conditions,I hope this is of help ,best wishes ,
  • Posted

No I wouldn't be annoyed.

Once diagnosed with COPD and condition is stable an annual spirometry test is the norm.

Lung function can fluctuate, many things can affect a reading even though 51% down from 67 and later 62% is quite a drop, however, if for any reason you had a cold or lung infection, or any other number of reasons, lung function would be quite drastically lower than say during a measurement when a person was feeling well, good air quality, temperatures and is exercising regularly.  Any period of inactivity for instance can result in deconditioning which in turn can lead to a drop in lung functioning.

In your situation I would be thankful you're last spirometry was up to 62% and you can still walk 3 miles.  If you do this most days and perhaps do other regular exercise there is no reason you must assume you will degrade 5% each year.

Whether you have another 10 years to go is unknown of course, certainly there is not a fixed cut off date for any of us.  There are people with COPD still functioning with 23% lung function, but for sure the higher the  FEV1% the more likely to have have better lung functioning and a better quality of life.

If you look after yourself, keep up with the regular exercise, avoid exposure to any smoke, or people who may be infected with a cold of flu virus the greater the chance of you being able to maintain a stable lung function.

I usually get a copy of my spirometry and any other tests I undergo, just so I can compare and have an idea on how I am doing.

• Posted

I understand your frustration. I've come to realize that I must be more assertive when asking questions about my health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.