Extremely anxious about dermoid cyst

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

My story is as follows,

When I was 3months pregnant in 2014 a 7cm suspected dermoid cyst was discovered in a routine scan. It has caused me no symptoms baby was born perfectly healthy. It was decided not to treat the cyst during my pregnancy. I had an ultrasound in October 2015 and the cyst is still there and has not grown. I am on the public waiting list to have a consultation with a gynaecologist. However the hospital wants me to have an ovary function blood test before I have a consultation with my go. Does anyone who has been through this process know what this test is? I am a real panicker and don't cope well with tests and waiting for results. I always fear the worst in every situation. It's really having an impact on my every day life. My son is amazing and he really keeps me going. I would love more children down the line but fear I may not be able to if my ovary is removed. I am really in a state over this any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what the test is babe I presume it's to see if it's functioning properly to see if when or if they decide surgery is the way forward to save it xx I'm going for surgery Friday to have two cysts removed from each ovary they are hopeful to save them both but there is still the possibility of losing them xx I too found mine when I was pregnant with my son (he's now 4) and I had a little girl (miracle) when both my ovaries are jammed with dermoids xx when you get you consultant appointment write all your concerns down and ask xx they are brilliant at reassuring you xxx hope all goes well sweetie xxx
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply katy

Wishing you the very best of luck with your surgery on Friday. Yes writing down all my concerns is a great idea I really panic when I'm in a doctors office and forget everything I had planned to ask. Have u had any symptoms or pain? I am so worried that it's something serious my gp said the blood test is routine for my complaint but I won't be able to relax until this is delt with. Because I am a public patient I could be waiting up to a year and would love to try for another baby in the new year. U are so lucky that u were able to have another xx

• Posted

Had pain on and off for three years only the last year it has got worse I've been on co coadamols and naproxen for 6 months and it doesn't touch it xx if you do experience pain I highly recommend heat I have a bean pig that goes in the microwave it's really helpful in easing it xx I get pain in my lower abdomen back groin legs it's horrendous xx I panic even though I know what's kind of going to happen xx I've had lots of blood tests but I don't ask about them as they aren't a concern now I'm having surgery I have been told the cysts are being sent for biopsies afterwards xx keep us updated Hun xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Carol, 

Sorry I don't know what that test is but just wanted to say that I had a 10cm cyst on my ovary at the end of my first pregnancy 24 years ago but they didn't see it on the scan as it was towards the end of the pregnancy. I was very ill but know one knew why but three weeks after the birth my doctor found a cyst and sent me to my consultant who said it was as big as a grapefruit.  He left it two weeks but it didn't go down any so he said he wanted to operate and remove my ovary.  I had a CA125 test which came out higher than normal and they told me it could be cancerous. Thankfully upon removal of the cyst, ovary and tube 2 weeks later they found out it wasn't and everything looked healthy.  The pain I had was because the cyst had twisted on its stalk and cut the blood supply off.   Within 2 months of the operation I was pregnant with my second child and 9 years later went on to have another baby.  So if you lose an ovary there is a good chance that you will be able to have more children xx

• Posted

Hi Janet0263

Thanks for sharing your story with me I am going out of my mind that it could be cancer. Your story has given me some hope that I too may be able to have more children. Its great that you had a positive outcome fingers crossed I will too xx I am assuming that the blood test is a ca125. It's great to hear that you were able to get pregnant so soon after the operation. To be honest it's just hell having this hanging over my head. I can't really talk to anybody about it because they just fob me off or tell me not to worry. It's great being able to speak to people who have experienced what I'm going through xx thanks

• Posted

Hi all,

Just found this thread and wanted to comment - as far as I know, testing the ovary level is having a blood test called CA125 which is a cancer detection test - I know that sounds really frightening but I was told my ovary level was high after being sent for a blood test by my GP. I had no idea what that meant and when I was next sent for an ultra sound once the bloods came back, the radiographer explained it is your CA125 levels.

I'm currently going through a rather tough/scary/emotional time. 6 weeks ago after trying for baby number 3 for over 4 months with no result, I started worrying and things that had been occurring (which at the time we naively thought were due to early pregnancy and us trying to concieve), I realised weren't normal and I went to my GP. I was having lower back pain, bloating, swelling, abdominal pain and spotting in between my periods as well as, I wasn't conceiving. I was also getting constant negative results when taking ovulation tests.

Anyway, my GP asked to examine me and she did an internal too there and then and told me she could feel an unusual lump which wasn't supposed to be there and sent me for a blood test the following morning. Results came in a day later and revealed I was extremely anemic and my 'ovary levels' were high in the hundreds. Less than a week later is when I went for an ultra sound and there it was, this 13 cm mass! I was devastated. They found cysts all over my right ovary but unfortunately couldnt see my left ovary because of the mass. They did an internal scan too, called in a doctor and I was told i needed further tests to determine what this suspicious mass was.

I shortly had my first appointment with a gynaecologist , followed by a CT scan within a few days. I was then told the CT had revealed that the mass was causing all sorts of issues... pushing a against blood vessels, squishing my bladder, squishing my kidney tubes along with fluid in my pelvis.

My gynae explained that he was unable to determine exactly what it is but obviously we knew by this point that I may well have cancer. I was told id need syrgery - I was also warned that they were unable to see my bowel so that the mass may well be interfering with it, which if so could potentially mean they'd have to cut away at my bowel resulting in a stoma bag. I was also told that until they get in there they can't determine how they're going to remove the mass, whether it would need a full hysterectomy etc.

My husband and I were and have been so frightened.... I was a mess and after being referred to a macmillan support worker, my gynae called me up and said he wanted to send me for an MRI before surgery to see if it's at all possible to gain anymore answers. That then happened almost a week later, which was a week ago and results came back within 48 hours - they've thankfully shown that my bowel is fine and untouched which means no interference so no stoma and the gynae has also been able to plan a course of action and has decided that during the op (which is in 4 days) he's going to remove the large mass which sits on top of my uterus as well as my left ovary but leave my uterus and right ovary.

Biopsies will then be sent off and obviously we are praying that the results come back benign but if I'm honest, I'm convinced the worst is coming. If they do detect cancer, I'll then have a second operation to do a full hysterectomy and I'll then have to start chemotherapy.

I'm so sorry for my ridiculously long post but I'm just wondering if anyone else has been through something similar and can give me any insight.... obviously I'm terrified but I'm so glad surgery is literally around the corner as recently the pain is getting much worse, particularly the last 3 days and I've had a lot of bleeding.

I'm 31 by the way and as i mentioned I have two children already who are 7 and 5 years old and they were completely normal conception... pregnancies and labours so this is all very new and scary for us! Thanks in advance and I hope you ladies all get the answers you are searching for....

The things us poor girlies have to go through!!

• Posted

What a time of it you are having I hope all goes well for the op this week. Stay positive it could well be a large dermoid cyst they don't know until they do the op and get pathology. The main thing is that they have found it and are dealing with it. I had a 6cm mass on my ovary earlier this year and had it removed it was a dermoid cyst. It's hard not to worry I could barely function due to my excessive worrying. I think it's worse when you are a parent.

I wish you a speedy recovery from the op and keep us posted on your progress x x

• Posted

Thank you! We are hoping and praying with every bit of us that it's just a benign mass or cyst. Reassuring to know that yours was a cyst - thank you!

I'll keep you posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.