Extremely depressed - Don't know what's happening with body

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 19 yr old male: so this all started 2 months ago where I had heart issues (that kept me Indoors for weeks) & after numerous tests that came back clear. So I realised that my heart maybe isn't the actual problem. After it came back clear I started having abdominal pain all over, I can't tell if bowel or intestines or stomach was causing it and strange bowel habits. During that week of heart issues my penis would sometimes go darker coloured which still happens now. I seem to be losing muscle (especially on my arms) but I've been gaining weight at the same time - I used to gym and have stopped now so that may be the reason. When I try to engage in sports I don't seem to sweat as much as I used to. Also, My hands feel dry like from the inside as if there is lack of blood in there or something. Just recently I've developed a horrible sore throat and when I coughed a little blood came out due to me trying to get the flem out. My body just doesn't feel right and I've been under chronic stress/ anxiety for all this time. I have no idea what's causing this. I've had full blood test twice which according to the doctors have been normal or just slightly above or below the ranges. I've had a ultrasound of abdominal which was clear. Can anybody help me please I can't engage in normal life as my entire body is doing wierd stuff and the doctors seem so calm about it and blame it all on my stress and depression. Any thoughts and responses are very appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Do you take medication for your depression/anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi, no I didn't. The doctors are not letting me as I'm a student. I'm convinced it's a physical issue, however doctors and parents are telling me that you're fine and just need to relax.
    • Posted

Ok You have had test done you are fine this is psychosimatic.

A switch in your brain is broken it it is telling you you are in danger when you are not,you have to train your brain that you are not in danger, hence Therapy.

As I have said you are fine so its anxiety and there are 100's of anxiety symptoms.

Its up to you and your parents if you want to bury your head in the sand and pay a lot of money for medical treatment when there is nothing psyically wrong with you.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Thank you Lynne for your response. That may be true. I have no idea why I am 100% convinced that I have a life threatening illness, I seem to be searching for it which is so unhealthy for me but at the same time my body is doing the strangest things like e.g. The muscle ache and muscle loss on my arms. I want to seek counselling help but I seem to be so convinced that it's physical I always don't do it at the end.
    • Posted

It is the switch thing in the brain that I explained before,

You have to teach yourself your not in danger.

Exercise a good diet and keep hydrated

Stay Strongsurprised

• Posted

Yeah I have to work on it and I will try to keep strong thanks. May I ask what brings you to this site Lynne?
    • Posted

Hi Jack

I have had depression for 16 years in December I started having anxiety

attacks a first for me. They reckoned the medication I was on for 6 years had stopped working hence the anxiety.

In all the years I have had depression on the whole I always managed to hold down a job but with anxiety I had to resign from work because I could not function.

I took myself off to emergency a few times had lots of test done and all were clear it wasnt until I came on to forums like this I realised it was anxiety and I was not alone.

I am now in the middle of a medication change,I dont know if I would bother with ADs for my anxiety but I have to take them for my depression.

Im also getting CBT therapy which I hope will sort me out and hopefully get back to work soon.cry

This forum in excellent for supportcool

• Posted

Wow so you know about this stuff really well huh. I'm sure you'll be fine as you can clearly deal with it! What kind of anxiety/ depression are you having? With me I have physical symptoms that get me worried but if i didn't have them I don't think I'd have this chronic stress/ depression.
    • Posted

Yes it is mostly health anxiety that is my problem and I know there is nothing wrong with me so now instead of crawling into bed I go for a brisk walk.

My symptons dizzyness nausea upset stomach stomach pains pins and needles all over my body tight heavy chest sore limbs blurred vision.

It varies from day to day sometimes I dont get anything other days its constant.

Because the anxiety is bad some days thats a knock on effect to my depression so then my mood dips.

Anxiety thrives off fear so I try to keep calm I get myself in a twist when I have to get public transport or in crowded places

Its a vicious circle but Im determined its not going to beat me.lol

• Posted

Wow yeah anxiety truly is horrible, since there is definitely nothing wrong with you try and enjoy life as much as possible! That's what I learned from what's happening to me now, before I took things for granted. Thanks for sharing Lynne and keep strong you'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Jack, I was convinced of several health issues when my anxiety was at its highest and started googling everything from thyroid to cancer and everything in between. When in my case my anxiety was causing the fatique from being under some much tension and body being always stressed, in my case I went to anti-depressant and problems disapated ? go see your doc my man just to be sure You'll be ok man hang in there wink 
    • Posted

Hi Stevo, thanks for your response. I hope it's just stress and anxiety I'm not ready for a serious health condition at this age lol and I will man you take care too!
    • Posted

The other thing too Jack is your brain is still developing so these changes can be very common, some people have nothing others have a lot of self asteem issues, anxiety problems and so on 'try and relax with whats happening with you' Keep your doc in the loop if you really feel down! The brain plays many tricks on us when we are young be warned. You'll grow to be very healthy stay cool brother.
    • Posted

That's very true Stevo and hopefully brother I appreciate it, take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.