Eye Drops

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I've got to have drops in my eyes to dilate them on Thursday morning and have been told not to drive because of blurred vision. So I will need to get home on a bus or taxi afterwards. But not knowing much about this, will I be able to walk round town and look round the shops a bit after this examination, or will that be out of the question? Thanks.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I have had loads of those drops and feel you will be able to walk and look around the shops.
    • Posted

Oh very good. Thanks for letting me know. I really didn't know what to expect. I had my regular eye test yesterday and all was clear but because I said I'd got extra floaters and some flashes in my eyes , they said they must dilate my eyes and perhaps find something they missed yesterday. I hope to god they don't find anything. The last thing I need is eye surgery!
  • Posted

Hi

Yes, you'll be fine.

It just feels a bit strange, soon wears off that feeling.

It's more about....look in the mirror to see how your eyes have changed. The pupil is huge and sometimes the colour is odd.

No worries....

Good luck with your appointment.

Jinny

• Posted

Thanks for that Jinny. I have been told it would be good if I wore some sunglasses afterwards to protect my eyes from the brightness outside. Its not something I usually wear. So may have to find some in town today. Will any do do you know?
    • Posted

hi

It's a pleasure helping others out. I certainly appreciate this site, particularly at the moment as I have a few things going on in my life at the moment that I don't fully understand and I know there are some really kind and thoughtful people on this site who are happy to help anyone out.

I call them Angels!!!

I didn't take any sunglasses with me but on reflection, I think that would have been a good idea!

I remember feeling like I needed to keep my eyes shut for quite a while afterwards because the sunlight was so strong so Yes, go buy a pair. I wouldn't spend too much out on them if I were you. Just make sure you've got good coverage.

All the best

Jinny

• Posted

Thanks again for that Jinny. Yes its a good site isn't it and I really appreciate your help too. I will go and get some decent sunglasses today then without paying too much. I hope I will be able to walk round town tomorrow after the examination. Must admit I am one of these people who get really scared when I am doing something and I don't know what to expect. So you can imagine how I felt about my recent hip replacement!
    • Posted

Remember to get sunglasses with UV protection because otherwise, the sun will damage them.

You might find that you can read across the Channel but not in front of you for a while!

I hope your appointment goes well.

• Posted

Thanks mrsmop. I have got some sunglasses with 100% UVA and UVB protection. Do you think I will be able to see clearly enough to pay the taxi driver and not give him a £10 note when he asks me for a £5?

• Posted

You will be able to see the colours but when I went to the hosp coffee shop once, I had to ask the to take the money from me because I couldn't see clearly enough.  But if you go armed with the right money, perhaps in a different purse, or else a different purse with not too much in it, you could ask the taxi driver to take what he has asked for.

My eyes clear pretty quickly these days, perhaps they use drops that aren't are long lasting as they used to be.  I drive myself and my eyes clear in about 2 hours.

Well done with the specs!!  I get prescription sunglasses from Specsavers and they have  UVA & B protrection.  I can't remember whether they were offered as standard or whether I paid more.

I would be interested to know how you get on, after all this!

• Posted

Hi thanks again for your message. Yes I will have to go armed with the right money in another purse or something. Or as you say, take another purse with no so much money in it.

I hope my eyes will clear quickly too. I can live in hope.

It was strange for me buying sun glasses because I never wear them. They only cost me £5. Got them in Matalan.

Yes I will get back to you tomorrow when I get home, as soon as I can see clear enough to message you.

Test is at 11.35am by the way.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Shirley, I had loads of drops lately as I have uveitis. My eyes clear pretty quickly .but they seem to have an orange look around them. The sun glasses will hide that if you have them. I too am wearing sunglasses more frequently.
    • Posted

Hi Sus, Thanks for that. Yes I've got some sunglasses now so hopefully they will help. I will report back here tomorrow as soon as I am able to see to type on this phone after the test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.