Eye issues

Posted , 4 users are following.

For almost the past 9 months I have been having eye issues that dr's cannot expalin to me and I was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. My eyesight seems "off" certain patterns bother my eyes like rugs, grass, blinds etc. it makes me almost dizzy i also have this constant feeling of being stoned. Between my eyes hurts sporadically I had x-rays and they ruled out sinus issues and sinus meds dont do anything. I have bad eyesight to begin with and wear contacts when I switch to my glasses the feeling of being "high" increases and when I stand on my porch I feel really weird and uneasy. I have had multiple blood tests that have come out normal and have seen a neurologist who said she didnt think it it was neurological I just had an eye exam last year and other than my crappy eyesight they didnt notice anything.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh I was also checked for thyroid issues, diabetes and lymes disease.
  • Posted

Look up Meares-Irlen syndrome on Google.

An unusual problem with visual stress due to excessive contrast.

Try strongly tinted glasses.  Might help.

Or see an optometrist who has "coloured overlays" to check for this disorder.

• Posted

Thanks for the info im going to check it out, going to make another appointment with my optometrist anyways so I will bring it up with him.
  • Posted

I like you have all kinds of problems, keep going to other doctors ask for MRI and see more neurologist until you get an answer.  Don't stop looking, if you know something is off then something is. Just don't lose faith keep looking.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply the neurologist said I didnt need an mri but ordered one just "because" I couldnt get it though as I am a single father and my insurance copay was $500 and I couldn't afford it.
    • Posted

so sorry to hear that, my prayers are with you.
  • Posted

Get your ears checked, perhaps you have somekind of inner ear issue going on, which can cause some pretty strange symptoms as can spine issues especially in the neck. In the meantime start a diary, write down things you have eaten, what the weather was like, time of day, acitivities, moods and whether you were wearing glasses or contact lenses, perhaps that way you might begin to see a pattern and recognise triggers. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon and feel better.
    • Posted

Its funny that you bring up the spine issue around the same time my eye issues, brain fog started my lower back started hurting (still does). I have been seeing a chiropractor and even brought this up to my PCP and to the neurologist but they just kind went "uh huh, ok" and didnt anything else about it. I get a pain between my shoulder blades and recently my left side rib cage starting hurting (went to dr about ribs 2 weeks ago and got x ray's still waiting to hear back on them) I attributed it to a really bad mattress (its 15 years old but no money to get new one). I guess along with opthamologist I will have to make an appointment to see a spine Dr., thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Hi Patsfan,

Yes, I would get checked for lymes and diabetes first - more comprehensive testing, and, of course, more expensive. I'm getting tested right now and they're charging me 1400 dollars for the test. That's lyme and co-infections. I'm sure it will come back negative, but I want to be sure just in case.

I think the main problem with doctors, is they just don't know very much. Patients often know more than doctors. It's not their fault, because there are so many diseases, that they can't be experts in everything.

So, I'm sure you went to an opthamologist, they checked your optic nerve for pressue, your eyes for pressure, and did all the standard tests, which came back negative. They may have even performed a peripheral vision test and a dye test.

If all that came back negative, that points to hormonal issues and problems with the visual cortex in the brain. This is the problem that I'm suffering with too. I have black veils over my eyes, I see patterns dance, ect.

So, I've been trying to figure out what this is as well. Mine is due to Post Finasteride Syndrome. - Ie taking propecia. We think this is a thyroid/adrenal problem. We think that it's due to low cortisol levels, and therefore low cellular metabolism/energy.

Check out Stop the Thyroid Madness for starters. It's a book and a website.

Hydrocortisone or Medrol might help your problem. Also, desiccated thyroid might help your problem.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.