Eye Pain / Headache - could this be connected to my Wisdom Tooth?

Posted , 21 users are following.

I have been to a walk in centre and my doctor so far about pain I have been experiencing in my right eye only and brow / temple area on that side. My eye has been getting bloodshot and I have had a headache on that side for 2 weeks + now as well as slgiht blur in that eye and senstivity to light. I have tried antibacterial drops which have made no difference. I have been referred to an eye doctor who I am seeing on Friday, but I have also thought of the possibility that this might be connected to my upper right wisdom tooth. I have not had any pain in that tooth for quite some time but I do know from my last visit to the dentist that it was coming in horizontally. I have booked to go to the dentist tomorrow to have it looked at to find out if there is any infection going on I dont know about - although I would assume I would feel pain in that tooth but perhaps the pain is deferring to my eye area? What I want to know is could this be the cause of my eye pain / vision problems? There is a lot of conflicting opinion on the internet so would like to get an answer please!! I am hoping the dentist / eye doctor can help solve this for me but my doctor and walk in center provided no help on this matter!!

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like a tension headache due to your eyebrow muscle. This usually happens when too much blood goes to it. Most people have had it at least once in their lifetime. If you place your thumb on your eyebrow and push down on the lumpest part, it will hurt tremendously, and it may send pain down either side possibly to the ear and eventually it will ease up. It may not be the wisdom tooth itself but do you usually eat your food only on one side of your mouth? Do you have a tooth decay on the other side that makes you eat on one side? And, you may be smiling on one side more than the other. The eyebrow muscle may be overworked for whatever reason so try the thumb exercise to see if it helps. But, keep your doc informed.
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply. Pushing down on my eyebrow doesnt seem to make any difference ... I have been to the denitist and they are taking my tooth out today, (scary) and they think this could be why as it is inflamed / infected. I will still go to the eye docotr to make sure there are not other underlying problems but it looks like I have found my answer... it probably is a tension headache as well but looks as though the underlying cause is this bad tooth....
  • Posted

You usually notice a difference the next day. It is the same with back muscles. Try another eye exercise because of the blood shot eyes. Make tea, take the bag out and place it over your eye and rest on a bed or sofa for half an hour or so while watching sports or a movie. Keep doing this for several days and several times a day. Tea bags have theophiline (xspelling) a natural med for the eyes. It takes down inflammation and swelling. IF it is due to an allergy like rag weed (which is totally out of season, but something in the wind) it will help especially with an itchy eye. I do believe that headaches can be one sided. The eye doc is an excellent idea as well as he might have a magnifying glass to eliminate anything that is ON the eye. So, we have teeth, allergy, eye doc what else can we look at? Ask your eye doc if an xray would show up anything on the other side of the eyeball. Also look closely at the skin around the eye. I was out in the woods once in London, Ontario and I know nature quite well and I saw this insect that would be towards bee/ hornet that I had never seen before. It was black and white and I would ID it along that family line. I kept following it and lo and behold it went into a hole in the ground. I stood momentarily staring at the hole and a swarm came up to chase me. One bit me right near the eyebrow. It was a terrible sting. I never ran so fast in my life and I was not going to stop. The pain was excruciating. So, an insect bite may also be worthy of note if all else fails and if it was something like this, it will eventually go away. Tell us the answer.
  • Posted

I have the exact same problem. I know that my wisdom teeth are impacted, but the problems with my eyes are beginning to worry me. I also experience blurriness and double vision, I have even lost sight temporarily in my right eye. Was the wisdom teeth the cause of your eye problems?

I can't get my wisdom teeth removed for another couple of weeks and I would just like some peace of mind...

• Posted

Hello,

How are you feeling now? Did you end up removing wisdom tooth?

Thanks

• Posted

Dear chole,

I have the same problem and am searching for a solution...

I have pain in my right eye and right forehead area, I feel my right eye vision is blurring day by day...

And I suspect this is due to my right upper wisdom tooth cause, which is coming out at an inclined position. I can feel the connection between them.

I asked my eye doctor and my dentist. Both told that there is nothing wisdom tooth will do with the eye or its vision.

But I am pretty sure that the problem is because of the wisdom tooth only (it is healthy with out any decay or infections)

I am worrying alot. I am scared alot of my right eye's vision.

Since you already had faced the same problem... I sure that by now you would have come out of it with a good solution. I really believe that your answer will solve my problem...

Please please please do reply and tell me what you done and how you have solved the issue...

Help me...! Please

• Posted

Hi Sruthi,

I am facing the similar issue. upper right side pain near temple area and ear. I have a upper right wisdom tooth.

please tell me did you remove your wisdom tooth.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, I'm having same problem. There's no need to worry about it as my right side wisdom tooth also coming in and i am experiencing the same headache and eyesight issues. It happens because of the pressure tooth exert, which makes the sinus and eye area more sensitive. Once your tooth is fully out, pain and headache will eventually go away.

• Posted

Hello, pleased to say I no longer have this problem. However, for me it did turn out to be a combination of wisdom tooth AND eye problem.once the top wisdom tooth was removed the pain reduced signifcantly. I also had appointment with eye doctor and they explained I had an astigmatism in my right eye which was causing the headaches because my eye was constantly tying to compensate. I had glasses prescribed and carried out some eye exercises daily and the problem went away. I do believe though the wisdom tooth is 100% part of the problem though. I have also had to go to dentist about my bottom right wisdom tooth which is impacted and pressing on a nerve. I would need an operation to remove it but because its on a nerve its very risky. I would advise getting a thorough check up with an optometrist and your debtist . I really hope you find an answer soon xxx
  • Posted

Hello, pleased to say I no longer have this problem. However, for me it did turn out to be a combination of wisdom tooth AND eye problem.once the top wisdom tooth was removed the pain reduced signifcantly. I also had appointment with eye doctor and they explained I had an astigmatism in my right eye which was causing the headaches because my eye was constantly tying to compensate. I had glasses prescribed and carried out some eye exercises daily and the problem went away. I do believe though the wisdom tooth is 100% part of the problem though. I have also had to go to dentist about my bottom right wisdom tooth which is impacted and pressing on a nerve. I would need an operation to remove it but because its on a nerve its very risky. I would advise getting a thorough check up with a different optometrist and dentist. Insidt on getting wisdom tooth removaI really hope you find an answer soon xxx
  • Posted

I also have been having everyday tension headaches in forehead and temples and nose pressure and jaw pressure and ear fullness, lightheaded once and a while .. getting my 3 wisdoms out Friday I’ve been to a lot of other doctors to see if it’s something else and everything came normal such as MRI CT Blood Work and EEG and ENT endoscopy and EKGs and Chest X-rays..getting anxiety from this stuff.  the three dentist I’ve see are telling me that these wisdoms could be my issue we shall see 
    • Posted

Did you get to know the cause? i have exactly same symptoms. Can it be cluster headache or is it wisdom tooth?

• Posted

I had the same symptoms as Chloe29 which was a severe headache for 2 weeks and a bright bloodshot eye (which I never had in my life). My temple hurt when touched and the back of my eye hurt as if the eye was bruised and bulging out. I searched the web for answers and coming here, I realized it was my back tooth. You can almost draw a straight line from my brow to my eye down to my cheek where it was affecting. I was going to go to the eye doctor first but changed my appointment to an oral surgeon. My instincts told me it was my tooth but the tooth didn't hurt as much as my eye and head. The oral surgeon said the tooth had decay. He couldn't see an infection but it was there. Yesterday he removed the tooth and the headache is completely gone! My eye doesn't feel bruised or bulging out! The oral surgeon said there was an infection behind the tooth. Infections can cause a lot of issues including sinus problems, cluster headaches and even worse if not treated. Stress can make it worsen. Your eyes, ear, nose and throat are all connected so they al can be affected. I am so relieved the headache is gone. Just thought to write this since I noticed on the web that many people were experiencing the same thing as me and I'm glad I saw this discussion!

• Posted

I have the same issue but on my left side. Left cheek is even swollen and I feel pressure behind my wisdom tooth and that pressure travels up to my eye. I wake up with a bloodshot eye and I’m super sensitive to light. I visited my dentist 2 weeks ago and she said I had a lot of plaque under my gum but I believe my tooth has to be pushing up against a nerve? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.