Eye puffyness and hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently dignisted with Graves' disease , I started the medication and in 2 weeks my number when to normal, but I have a verry puffy eyes.My doctor said is going away by itself . I'm very upset, and depress , any suggestion ? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Along with Graves disease, many people have Thyroid Eye Disease (TED for short).  This can manifest all the way from bulging eyes to just irritated eyes and swelling.  I had dry eyes, red eyes and irritated eyes.  For the swelling, you can put cotton pads soaked in Witch Hazel over closed eyelids.  Many people say it helps a lot.  Also you can take supplements, 200 mg of Selenium OR eat 2 Brazil nuts a day helps if the TED isn't too bad.  You do not want to take too much so not more than that dose. Doctors do not know much about supplements and therefore will not tell you this.  Your aim for your disease is to get into remission and this means more than just getting your thyroid labs into the normal range.  You also want to decrease the antibodies.  Many of us thyroid patients have found that low dose meds taken for a long period will lower the antibodies as well as improving your diet, and avoiding the artificial sweetener Aspartame and sugar.  I would not go off meds unless I had my antibodies TSI and TBII or TRAb tested and they need to be in the normal range along with my thyroid labs TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 in the normal range, preferrably in the middle of the range.  A lot of docs don't know this either.
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your message. Please let me know what medicine you are taking?

Thanks again

• Posted

For my Graves disease, I was started on 10 mg of Methimazole at diagnosis and am currently on 2.5 mg daily (same as Carbimzole in UK). I currently am taking Vitamin D3 1,000 IU, Magnesium 200 mg, Co-Q10 100 mg, Omega 3 and Curcumin daily.  At the beginning I also took Regular L-Carnitine and then Acetyl-L-Carnitine but do not take the Carnitines any more as my labs have all normalized.  I continue on the other supplements.  I use eye drops usually once a day in the morning. 
    • Posted

Hi Friends. From last one and half year i have grave disease 

(Hyperthyrodisim) and exophthalmos.  i have been taking carbimazole 30mg per day then after two month reduce to 20mg per day . then i did tsh and freet4 test. my test was normal . then doctor reduce carbimazolw  5mg per day. after two month i did TSH and FreeT4 test t, it showed that my TSH and FreeT4 again rise due to decrease dose of carbimazole.  now doctor adivised me to RAI(Radio active iodine theropy) as i have already bulging eye (Proptosis). Also i have visited eye doctor . he prescribe to me natural tears drops for dryness but still bulging of eyes is there. will RAI decrease my eyes swelling or not. please friend guide me regarding this.i feel very nervous and fade up from bulging eyes.

Regards.

• Posted

Always get a paper copy of your lab tests that show your result along with the range for that particular test.  Keep your own file on them.
    • Posted

Thank you for your fast response Linda . I appreciated that. I went to a ophthalmologist to measure proptosis, and he said I don't have that, but the swelling is very, very, very bad.

My thyroid up take came on 36 % that's how my doctor diagnosed me with graves. ( I had hashimoto before ) . She never asked for TRAb.

Do you know wich Brazilian nuts should I buy? And where?

• Posted

I think you can find them at some of the Health Food Stores that sell food as well as supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.