eye redness has knocked my confidence down so much that i rarely leave the house

Posted , 5 users are following.

This started around the end of october 2015. I woke up one morning to see both of my eyes completely bloodshot. This looked really bad for 2 weeks then the redness went down slightly and has not cleared up completely 3 months on. No pain whatsoever. Only difference I see is that my eyes water a little and sometimes randomly it flares up and more redness comes into the eye for a hour or so. But on a normal day there are just a few red veins in the whites of my eye that don't seem to go at all. I am suffering so much because of this, I can't give eye contact to anyone because I feel so insecure. I saw a doctor in the first week of this happening and he prescribed me optrex eyedrops for conjucitvits. But how can it be conjunctivis if it has lasted this long? I went to a optician who told me he thinks i have slight blepharitis.(My eyelids are fine though) he give me a hot compress which I used for a week but found it was making the redness more visible. I really need some help, i went to the doctors last week he done a swab test and I am waiting for results. He won't refer me to a ompthalogist. Has anyone experienced anything similar? And if so did the redness in the eyes go?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Does anybody on this forum have a problem not being able to tolerate their glasses,makes a dizzy feeling in the back of head,wake up in the middle of the night feeling weird,can't sleep,put glasses on the next day and can't make it until lunch.Dizzy,confused,anxiety bad,and I can't see without them,to blurry. please help.
  • Posted

Oh dear Dank 24 I am sorry for your problems and do find bloodshot eyes so debilitating as people often think you have been drinking alcohol!

I have Blepharitis and my eyes are bloodshot like yours. I do have a very regular cleaning routine for my eyes. The only thing that takes away my bloodshot eyes is steroid drops however, my doctor says it is not good to over use such drops. 

• Posted

Sounds frustrating, as probably nothing is very wrong with you.

Buy yourself a nice pair of sunglasses and apologise to your friends, saying you need to protect your eyes for the moment. Then enjoy looking mysterious!

As for conjunctivitis.... I don't know what Optrex drops your GP prescribed, but normal over the counter Optrex won't cut it with conjunctivitis as far as I know.

You need some kind of gel to ut in at night, especially imprtant as conjunct. is very contagious, so don't share towels etc.. Get it in one eye and very soon you'll have it in both.

I'd suggest you go right back to your GP and show her your eyes again. You need something stronger than Optrex.

• Posted

Hello dank94, I'm sorry to read of your problems.   Has your GP examined your eyes with a slit lamp?  You only have one pair of eyes & they need to be taken care of.  Your Optometrist [optician] can refer you to the local eye clinic, where you will find an Ophthalmologist.  You would then know one way or another, whether or not you need to see an Ophthalmologist again.

My eyes go very red when I have a flare of uveitis.  And yes, blepharitis can cause red eyes too.  Do you have photophobia?  That means that your eyes cannot stand bright lights.

Your eyes can also be dry, that would cause red eyes.  If you spend a lot of time in front of a screen, you tend not to blink often enough, so your eyes become dry, you can buy lubricating eye drops over the counter.  

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.