Eyes damaged from eye exam?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A neuro-ophthalmologist examined my eyes over one month ago.  I was first seen by a technician who applied the dilation drops and eye anesthetic.  My vision has been worse ever since, particularly in my right eye.  I do have mild cataracts, but no diabetes, nor hypertension, and have no narrow angle, did not experience severe pain, nausea, or vomiting, which would be the symptoms of mydriatic-induced acute angle glaucoma.  I returned to the MD the week following the eye exam, having been visually disabled due to severe photosensitivity and blurred vision.  Initially, I also had mild pain in my right eye following the exam, which subsided over the course of three weeks.  What remains is the excessively blurred vision, photosensitivity, and blurriness. The MD told me there was no explanation, and sent me on my way.

The degree of dilation kept increasing over the course of hours.  I had a 40-minute drive home, which I had to do, although I kept pulling off the road until there were no cars.  (There was no one to help).  I had had a heavy object fall on the right side of my head a few days prior to the exam, and advised the MD about it.  I had not lost consciousness, but it was a sturdy blow.

I have been coping with it by wearing sunglasses, and cannot be in retail stores without them, due to the off-gassing from the light fixtures.  Emotionally?  Tonight is a night where I feel so leveled by this - after all, my vision was not like this before the exam.  I wonder if this is a subtle form of acute angle glaucoma which could be caused by the dilation drops.  (It was not atropine).

Because this MD advised there was nothing she could do, I have an appointment with another ophthalmologist in one month.  Frankly, I had hoped I would not need to keep that appointment, but, here it is, one entire month with this, and tonight, it is really getting me down.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I agree with you as it may be  a subtle form of acute angle glaucoma which could be caused by the dilation drops. 

better to check eye pressure ASAP.

• Posted

I would definitely go to an eye hospital where there have an emergency eye casualty department for a further eye examination. Explain about th eye drops as

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.