Eyes stinging from acid reflux

Posted , 21 users are following.

This is my first time on here, but have been reading and find this forum very helpful... I pretty much have acid reflux all day and night for almost 2 months, with some relief while sleeping, most mornings I wake up with out symptoms but I have to eat early, be upright for a while before bed and sleep on 2 pillows and move carefully or the symptoms start up again. During the day when I have flair ups, it's like this gas comes up (I don't feel any fluid coming up), it must be silent and when it happens my esophagus, throat (that's sore all the time now with hoarseness when I talk sometimes), lungs, nose and eyes feel like they are on fire!! Does anyone else have this? This all started with the pain in my gallbladder, docs say it bad, I have had 2 tests, an ultrasound (no gallstones) and hida scan, only 13% working, so very compromised. I have chronic cholecystitis for many years with pain BUT the acid reflux is the worst... my docs say this will clear up with my removal of my GB... really? I am wondering if this is true , I have read so many forums that once the gallbladder is out they still have the symptoms of acid reflux and I can't stand this... I certainly don't want a whole forming or cancer in my esophagus! I am on Omeprazole 20mg daily, it does not seem to do much. I am so confused what to do and especially should I have my gallbladder removed? Thanks I appreciate that I can post this and I feel like I am not alone. Laura

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your input Shyam. I'll ask my doctor to test my Vitamine D levels.

What kind of symptoms did you have? My eyes litteraly turn red within a minute if I lay down flat. My eyes are also painful every morning and they get better after a few hours of standing. No doctor seems to have a clue what's going on with me. Were your symproms comparable and are they all over now after taking those capsules? Can you tell me more about those acid capsules? It's the first time I hear of those.

• Posted

Hi again,

Please correct, its vitamin B and not D.

My symptoms were - red and burning eyes along with drowsyness in the morning while waking up. I use to feel nauseous and very tired as well. During the day, the burning sensations used to shift from eyes to the nose. I could feel my nose on fire while breathing.

Regarding those capsules, my doctor gave me cynocal m forte (its an indian brand as I am an Indian). But you can find more details at - http://drugbook.in/cynocal-m-forte.html

But before opting for these capsules, get your vitamin b level test done and share with your doctor.

One more thing, my doctor told me strictly not to lay down atleast for 90 minutes after any meal and to have low fat/sugar diet.

I hope it works for you..

• Posted

Hi Shyam, I too am an Indian 27 year old male diagnosed with GERD. I'm taking 20 mg Rabeprazole everyday and only get this irritating sinus pain/itch and sometimes it goes to my eyes and make my eyes red. I went to the ENT doctor and he said it's allergies. Could the symtoms be because of acid reflux?

• Posted

Hello laura52300,

Been doing research online for months to see if someone had the same symptoms as I do. I ran across your forum. I have the same symptoms. My lungs, nose, eyes and throat feel like they are on fire also. I have constant burning in those areas all day. The only time it doesn't seem to bother me is when I'm asleep, but I wake in the morning and my throat and nose are on fire. My throat feels very dry and cracked. As soon as I sit up and start to move around my nose starts to run. This has been constant also. I have had periods where my eyes have actually turned red and my throat has been really sore. These symptoms come and go but the burning is constant. Sometimes my head hurts in the front as if its sinuses. My also have pain on the back of my head . Most of the time all these symptoms just make me feel really sick. This have been going on for months with only three days of minimal amount of relief. I have been going to my medical doctor and an ENT both seem to think that its reflux. I had a endoscopy and an upper GI. The upper GI didn’t show Reflux. The endoscopy showed it along with a lot of inflammation. They both prescribed Prilosec and there is no relief. They both told me to prop up at night so, I lifted my bed of the floor still with no relief. I also changed my diet. Nothing so far has made the symptoms go away completely or even enough for me to get some relief. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist for a third opinion and any medical advice that he can give me. I know that its been about a year since you did this post but, I hope that you get a chance to read it and let me know how your case turned out and hopefully give me some ideas or pointers for some kind of relief.

Hoping That You Are Well!

• Posted

Hi Laura

Hope this isn't too late. My advice would be to get off the PPIS (omeprazole) and any other acid blocking meds. This can be VERY difficult. Look up reflex acid hypersecretion. The trick to succeed is to gradually reduce the dose and step down. For some this can take up to 8months.

Maybe you've already been through it in which case I'd be interested in hearing you're experience of getting of Omeprazole?

Best of luck

David

• Posted

Laura I know you wrote this a year ago, so you might not see this. I have been having acid reflux problems for months.. About a week or 2 later I noticed my eyes stay blood shot and itch, and a couple tines a week my whole body would itch, with no rash! I mean its so annoying..and if I wake up yo go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, my eyes look almost like blood they're so red! I've tried all kinds of drops. My Dr finally said she thinks the itching and eyes are from histamine my body is making and I'm intolerant to it. They don't burn as bad, and my itching cut down since she put me on Zantac which is a histamine blocker.. Just wondering if you're still having problems. Thank you

• Posted

Hi everyone, I have that feeling right now and I think because I ate lot a while ago and I should not supposed to eat any kinds that has white or brown sugar, I'm allowed to have honey or stevia only for sweetener but I ate cakes a while ago, my bad. I feel my eyes is burning right now and a little nauseating & slight headache but praise the LORD I feel getting better after gassing out & bowled out. I stop taking omniprozol or provesic since the gastroenterologist diagnosed what's the cause last year I think, I was givin to follow a certain diet and it really works. I exercise everyday also at least 10-20 minutes walking or jogging, I have a nutre bullet blender and I blend kale with a small slice of beets, sweet potato, red potato, cucumber, apple, pineapple and few pieces of almond & a table spoon of honey. It really cured the heartburn, GERD and acid reflux thank God and exercising by walking or jogging helps a lot too.

The first time I had these was so scary because I don't know what's goin on that time, I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and they cannot find anything thank God. Those medicine won't help at all only when I changed my doctor that 2nd doctor was able to diagnosed it and it's all about certain foods that I can't take for 2 years for so to get heal and one of those food is white sugar. Anyway during those attacks I had a panic attack too because I don't understand what's goin on with me like a lot of phlegm and what's scared me was I cannot breath so what I did even at the middle of the night I grab my bible and went outside and pray and thank God it calm me down and open my airways. When I look back before I had that heartburn, gerd, acid reflux, my heart was full of anger to someone who wronged me but when I release forgiveness in Jesus name and I asked God for forgiveness also for all my sins, I forgive myself too, the healing begins also. I hope and pray I was able to share also about these heartburn,gerd&acid reflux. I feel good now praise God, the nausea & like feeling of eyes burning is gone, I just keep on drinking water, yes before I forget, needs to drink also at least 8 glasses of water everyday and avoid any soda and don't forget to exercise everyday and have a good night sleep. Now I will start again to avoid those food that triggers. Praying to God for everyone to be heal in Jesus name...

• Posted

Don't forget to add a little water when you blend those.

• Posted

I am praying for wisdom and answers.

Suffering with burning nose and into my eyes even... what kind of doctor did you go too?

• Posted

Consume more raw Lemon ?? to your diet as well as Garlic. It will control the acid balance. Eat less red meat.

• Posted

I see this is an old post. Did you ever get relief? I have acid reflex burning in my nose and eyes. I don’t know what to do...

Saw my primary doctor and am on Omeprazole.

I’ve tried drink Aloe Vera juice, papaya enzymes, probiotic. Was not able to eat for a while but now eating bland food.

I can’t find relief.

He will refer me for an endoscopy, is it worth it? I have high deductible insurance.

Any other ideas?? I’m tired of being miserable and on fire

• Posted

i have the same thing the acid reflux meds made them worst what i have found is taking high dose vitamin d once every 2 weeks really helped me but only if i kept doing it u got to watch and have test done tho as they say u can over dose on it but i been living this way for over 4 years doing it just do the test to make sure u don't get toxic also don't take smaller doses every day that make u worst and don't break up the dose need to be one big dose that's what i have found i take 50,000 iu every 2 or 3 weeks takes a few months to feel it working but like i said watch ur levels and have them checked for toxic range

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.