F - 22, 10cm Fibroid and still growing?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, My name's Megan and im 22 year's old.

Age the age of 18 i was rushed into hospital numerous times after loosing a big amount of blood, each time to be told there was nothing wrong this was just a heavy period.

On the 4th time of been rushed in, i finally got a scan to reveal i had a double uterous, informed not to worry but the help would be there for furture if i ever would struggle to conceive.

22 year's old having put up with pain over numerous times but put it down to been female and the back pain my job i finally went to the doctor's to be told it was back pain from working on my feet over 10 hours a day, i knew this wasnt right, a women know's her body?

6 months later i was bent over, been sick, always tired i got an appointment at my local doctors to be seen by a newly trained doctor, at this point i had gained numerous weight, felt horrfic and had a obvious lump on my lower left abdomen. Straight away she tried to push the lump back in leaving me screaming in pain, to which she thought this was a hernia an hour later i was waiting in A&E with emergancy notes for cervical smer and tumour's. 3 examinations and scans later i got told i have a 10cm fibroid attacthed to my uterous bigger than a grapefruit which was squishing and damging other organs and 7cm cyst attacthed to my right ovary, my left was no where in sight. My appointments from this followed weekly at yorkshire private client via NHS. It was op day number 1, laparoscopy and hysterctomy, sadly the hysterctomy wasn't sucessful as my tumour was to large for him to enter. i came out of threate hearing i had 3-6 months to have a child before having a hystercomy was the only answer, i was heart broken, at the age of 22 discussing children isnt something pick easy. My follow up appointment with my surgeon 2 weeks later then told different, sadly im unable to have children at the moment now as my tumour has damaged so many organs and there is no room for anything to work. im currently awaiting to start esyma, but ive lost my case to get this on the NHS so im having to pay just under 500 for 3 months but they are wanting me to do a 9 month span if the new court hearing wins. Im currently still been refused by many surgeons as my age is to risky for the size of my fibriod. ive now been accept by manchester and london, but why should be i fighting? ive been rushed in numerous times since with the tumour pressing on nerve ends on my spine and twister, making me sick 24.7! Whats next? my life has come to a sand still in so many ways and my stomach some days can be the size of a 3/4 month preg lady. Someone find and give me the help i need....

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

wow, you have been put through the mill, really feel 4 u, esp due to your age.

my problems didn't start till i was 30, no kids but still found the pain, and going back fourth to the doc a nightmare. my uterus was 21 wk in size and the myomectomy was tricky due to enlarged uterus. why is a hysterectomy, you're only option, any chance of a myomectomy.  i took esmya for 3 months, shrunk them from 11cm to 7cm, so a 3 month course may work for you. as far as i know you can only take esmya for 6 month max. i really hope u can find  a good consultant to take on what seems to be a complicated situation and you get treated fast.

• Posted

I don't understand why doctors would ever suggest a hysterectomy to a 22 yro. That is ridiculous.

I live in Australia, just 1 week post op open myomectomy to remove 15x11cm fibroid.

I did have a few GPs misdiagnose my fibroid before it was found. I remember the first time I ever thought about asking what my symptoms meant (pain, bloating, discomfort, lethargy, nausea), I went to a Chinese GP who felt my belly and told me I needed acupuncture!!!!

I did find a good GP who got me to get scans done and ultimately found the fibroid. It was never up for question after that, they immediately recommended a myomectomy.

I guess it may be very different here, but if possible I would keep seeing different GPs until you find one you think cares about what treatment you want/don't want.

All the best x

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about all you have been through Megan. I am currently taking Esmya and I had it on the NHS, why should you fight for it?..... if it will help then you should be entitled to it. A hysterectomy should not even be a option for a 22 year old!!! I am 45 and I was really against it at first.... but at your age you should not be denied the opportunity to have children. Explore other options and get a second opinion, that is what I would do. Take care and I hope things improve x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.