Facelift? Something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm male. 27

I have never liked the look of my face much. I feel as though my face looks 'heavy' and shapless, even when my bodyfat is very low. Particularly in the lower 3rd. Don't have much of a chin?

I keep wondering about something like a facelift - however,from what I read, i'm too young.

Also, the fact that I can seen the same problems with my face when I see photos of me as a child would suggest that there should be a more suitable fix - i.e I doubt I needed a facelift when I was 10 years oldsmile

I look a lot better when I lift or pull back the skin either around my mouth or my cheekbone area. Anything that lifts the area close the the outside of the mouth - Even just a tiny bit seems to help quite a lot!

I'm wondering if there's something i'm missing that could give me the result I'm after.

I just can't think of anything other than a facelift which would do it? (maybe a chin implant? Jaw surgery?)

Have put a link to a photo of my using my fingers to give the desired effect.

What do you see? Ideas? Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/PWPvzE6.jpg

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I am a plastic surgeon. I don't think a facelift or implants would help a lot. It is difficult to assess the full problem from just looking at these pictures. You have circled a small area. If there is a very localised problem of tissue excess that could theoretically be excised or treated with liposuction but would leave visible scars and can damage important structures, so this is not anything I would recommend. Overall I think your lower face looks balanced on the left photo, so my honest opinion is that it would be better to leave things as they are.

• Posted

Hi,

I circled that area, simply because whenever that area is lifted (either by pulling my cheekbone skin up, or the skin around my jaw etc) my face looks more defined and just better.

So, I guess it's almost like I have jowls, but without the 'loose' skin (instread it's heavy flesh), and i've had them since I was born! 

I suppose babies always have this 'look'. Maybe because there is a lack of 'support' for the underlying tissue what with their lack of teeth and bone.

That's why I wondered about things like a pre-jowl chin implant, or even orthagnathic surgery in case my jaws are recessed and causing the problem.

l have a fairly prominent labiomental fold which might also suggest that it's a jaw issue?

• Posted

I get qute a drastic inmprovement even if I lift the tissue on the ouside of my upper lift up very lightly/slightly, that I wonder whether there's not a fairly minimal procedure that could help me.

No matter where I pinch on the ourside my face (my cheekbone area, my mandible near my ear etc) the skin around the jowel area become tighter and improved. It's as if my face is lacking in bone to support my flesh.

I wonder if some sort of implant or filler strategically placed would assuage my concerns...

• Posted

Hello again,

Just looking at the frontal photographs I don't think there is anything that could be dramatically improved. In a  normally balanced lower face the distance from the chin to the labiomental crease is about the same than the distance from this crease to the mouth. I can't comment on the sideview, but I feel that an intervention carries a risk to give you an unnatural appearance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.