Facet injections didn't help now where do i turn?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been plagued by lower back pain for a long time.  I can not lay flat without extreme pain so for almost a year and one half  I've slept in a recliner.  My Neurologist had an MRI taken and sent me to a pain management doctor.  I met the pain Dr for a consult and he explained I had three things  going on with my back...arthritis, 3 bulging discs and a vertebrae that protrudes about 1/3 of an inch.  He felt the arthritis was the pain culprit and scheduled me for a facet injection procedure.  I went in 2 days ago for the procedure and found myself in worse pain after the injections that when I arrived.  The pain was much like I have when laying flat, which in fact I had for 30 minutes.  Today, the doctors office called to tell me that he can't offer me anything since the injections didn't work and just left me hanging.  AAARGH...I am beside myself!  Can anyone help?  Where do I go from here!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If you have been diagnosed with bulging discs (are these pressing on nerves) HT haven't they offered decompression surgery and or fusion? I'd try a ortho surgeon rather than a nureo as your problems seem more skeletal related rather than nuerological.
    • Posted

Scott, sadly I don't have all the information I should. The pain management Dr was the one who explained the MRI findings. It seemed at the consult that he was beginning with the arthritis but stressed the discs and protrusion could be the problem as well. Truthfully I was feeling pretty emotional when I wrote my first post. The Drs office had just called and said he could do nothing for me as the injections were unsuccessful ....Goodbye! I was left not knowing where to turn or what to expect....surgery sounds pretty frightening...but...

Thank you so much for responding!

• Posted

I really feel for you. I too have 3 bulging discs, some artritic changes, narrowing of foramina and although my nerves are not trapped they get irritated and I get very bad sciatica and other nerves in hips and legs affected too. Over last 9 years I have had a few MRI scans, little changing now but my muscles do shoot into spasm a lot, muscle spasm is very fainful, you may get some relief from a muscle relaxant, I take baclofen currently, there are a few that a pain dr can prescribe. It helps to a degree. I have tried most injections and also radiofrequency ablation of sciatic nerves too, but all to limited success. I have ended up being prescribed tramadol for pain at varying doses, and have now escalated to slow release morphine, .....I think either an orthopaedic surgeon consult or another pain clinic consult would be useful for you....a second opinion is always useful
    • Posted

Thanks for the tips Holly. I guess I will make some calls to surgeons and see where that takes me. Just hearing from people like you is so encouraging!
    • Posted

Sorry if I'm being blunt here, but I can't understand why people just go along with what one dr tells you. Since 2007 I have had two discetomy's, a Laminectomy and only two weeks ago a double fusion of S1-L4. I have/had all the same symptoms as you both but I simply won't take no an answer. You need to push and push till you get someone to listen. I still have Degenerative Disc Disease at two further levels but they don't cause me much pain, plus loss of ankle reflex in my right foot, loss of sensation in that foot and a numb left thigh. However, the fusion will/has helped 100% so far with the back pain and had also taken away two bulging disc so the nerve pain is reduced but managed with pain meds through the Pain Clinic. When your back makes your life hell with pain and movement you just need to not take no for an answer. I know surgery is not an option for everything but you must explore all options to rule it out and then fight till you get the best possible outcome.

In the lead up to the fusion I was on MST, carbamazepine, diazepam, Amitriptyline, paracetamol, diclofenac and Dihydracodiene when I needed break through. I'm no longer on the MST or Dihydracodiene. I need the others to manage the nerve pain.

Please don't read this the wrong way, at times I was in tears battering my head of a brick wall, but continued to push, phone and barrage surgeons secretaries for appointments as I wasn't prepared to live knowing surgery could fix things. It's just getting that person to say yes. My surgeon was Mr Reece at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, also works within the Nuffield privately in Glasgow. He's outstanding. Very black and white. If he can help he'll say so but won't sugar coat things with maybe's and we'll wait and see.

Again, I'm not getting at anyone. I know how frustrating things can be, I've been there seen it and got a1000 t-shirts! I just don't want people to stop with one opinion. Keep fighting!

• Posted

Scott you are a true trooper and I appreciate your truthfulness. I just turned 65 and am finding myself feeling suddenly overwhelmed by physical ailments. I don't know how many years I have left, but I surely don't want to live them restricted as now!

This old woman is going to fight for answers and treatment!!

Thanks so much!

• Posted

It is about never giving up. So many people simply except the hand they were dealt when there are people out there who can and are willing to help. It's just a matter of finding them.

Don't give up. Until you have two or three surgeons saying surgery isn't an option don't accept it.

However, I would transfer and see a Orthopaedic surgeon. I think you might get further to an answer with them. I still can't believe it was your Pain Dr who explained your MRI to you. That should have been your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Vickie, sorry to hear about your pain. I understand how you feel. I have similar injuries to your day very rarely sleep due to the pain and because all pain killers turn me into an insomniac. I have just completed the pain management course which included facet injections, physio and being told it's all in my head. That's despite scans showing the injuries. The injections made my condition worse.

I went back to the Pain Clinic consultant and showed him my most recent scan. He said that there was nothing else he could do other than keep giving me more painkillers. He finally referred me to another surgeon. I am waiting for that appointment.

I think you need to go back and get yourself referred to a second Neuro surgeon and get the Op that you need.

Good luck I Hope you get it sorted.

Matt

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.