Facial hair growing fast, what can I do ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just noticed this afternoon that my facial hair has grown quite considerably longer.  It is very noticable with the sun behind me.   Is this happening to anyone else and if so, have you any ideas for dealing with it ?   

It gave me quite a shock - I think it must have suddenly started growing faster.  Such a lot of horrible side effects of  Pred.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I recognise that one as I think you will find do others. As I am reducing it has become less so and I have been fortunate that it is mainly fair though there have been some darker hairs. I just pluck them using tweezers and a magnifying mirror but it is an ongoing battle. The irony is that the hair on my head thinned but is now coming back in as the medication reduces.
    • Posted

Yes, I am luckily fair as well.   When you pluck them do they come back stronger ?   Although I think I have too many to pluck.   I also have found that the hair on my head has thinned, especially round the parting and at the back.   
    • Posted

They do come back but I only pluck the stronger 'thicker' ones. That's exactly how my hair was but it is thickening up again. I gradually had it cut shorter and a number of people have said that they like my new look.

• Posted

Very common - if it is fair don't complain too much: when I was on Medrol my beard was dark! My head hair has been white for about 20 years! Not a good look...

As I said on the other thread - I used my epilator for the cheek fuzz, it worked well even if a bit nippy the first couple of times. They do sell an epilator specifically for facial hair now so there must be a demand!

• Posted

PS, I only use tweezers for the stiffer bristly chin hairs. And no, it is a myth they grow stronger after plucking. Nor does shaving make them stronger - it is just the tips that grow back after shaving are cut off straight, new hair growth has a finer tip.
    • Posted

that must have been very difficult for you.   I am lucky to be fair.   I shall have a go with tweezers on the longer hairs in the morning and google for a facial epilator.  
    • Posted

I didn't notice at first - the change in the colour of my face when I got out the epilator and tried it was amazing!

• Posted

You must have been very young when your hair went white!  Were you a 'red head'?  They seem to go white early.

How are you now?  It wasn't so long ago that you had to go up to 15 mgs again.  What are you n now?

• Posted

The day before my 30th birthday I decided the silver streaks no longer looked like the very expensive streaks everyone thought they were! For the next 10 years in Germany I coloured it - I had a very cheap hairdresser, the father of the girls best friends! When I got back to the UK when I was just 40 I found it had got to the stage I needed roots done every few weeks as I was very dark reddish brunette - expensive! I tried lighter colours but they didn't look right and I had my hair cut very short until the coloured part was grown out - and then haven't touched it with colour since. The remaining dark hairs are getting less obviously but there is some pigment left because in the sun here I go really blond! My mother was also white very early - it's all in the genes!

I'm down to 10mg - the upper level of what the doctor ordered last time I saw him. 8mg will be preferable but no desperate hurry. It's very warm here and I have the usual summer problem of low BP which made me SOOO tired. I've adjusted the BP meds dose a bit and that seems to have worked. 

• Posted

I didn't know the sun affected BP!  Having normally high BP I'm quite surprised that my readings are about 135/85 at the moment.  I've even reduced my tablets (afraid of that tiredness!  Have enough with the PMR tiredness)!!

You've been on your travels again recently.  Of course reducing at that time wouldn't be what you would recommend.

Keep smilng.

Constance

• Posted

It's the heat more than the sun - it leads to vasodilation (wider blood vessels) as you try to keep cool. Wider blood vessels means lower blood pressure - and on Saturday night it was 102/61! The slight change in dose has taken it back to 115/70 -ish. That's better!

135/85 is fine - still above 120/80.

• Posted

Yes I know!  But as I started on 230/160 I find my present readngs fine.  Mind you, that was over 30 years ago.  Anyway, I'm no teenager!!

• Posted

I just shave the buggers off. Lots of women shave, there's no shame in it. razz

• Posted

How often do you find you have to shave them off ?  I am going to start by plucking the longest ones and see how it goes from there.  I just cant believe they have suddenly grown so quickly !
    • Posted

I shave every morning in the shower. I have two patches on each side of my lower chin that are stiff, but the rest is bumfluff. I get quite a glow on in the sun if I don't get rid of it. I have very blonde facial hair - thankfully!

As a child and young woman I was quite hairy but it's disappeared as I've gotten older. My mother was very dark and had quite a moustache all her adult life until she finally decided to shave. Best thing she ever did!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.