Facing big toe fusion in two months

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello,

I am scheduled to have a big toe fusion and bunion removal in August.  I have read (and heard) many negative comments about the operation and the healing process.  Currently my pain is moderate to severe but bearable moist of the time and I am wondering whether I should go ahead.  I lead a very active life, play tennis, walk, swim and look after grandchildren.  I understand the need to follow instructions after the op and am willing to do that as long as I feel the benefit in the long term. 

Any advice welcome please!

Regards

Jan

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jan, it's only 8 days since my bunion removal and big toe realignment

So I'm probably not best placed to advise you. However, so far I have had next to

No pain in my foot!!! I stuck to the painkiller recommendations and am still keeping foot elevated

I would think that the longer you leave the op the worse your bunion will get so may be better to do it sooner than later.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

The first thing my doctor told me was to stop reading the Internet before your surgery! ☺ Only the top and bottom 10% of those who respond are either very satisfied or very dissatisfied with the result.

Having said that, I'm 4 weeks out of a bunion removal and toe straightening. Very little pain! I'm still recouping so the jury is out, but I'm glad I did it. My foot looks so much better without an big, ugly bump on the side of it (although the bunion itself never did actually hurt, it was causing problems on the outside of my foot).

I'm in a splint for another week or so and then into a boot. I've had to be non weight bearing (rent a knee walker if need be... helps you get around much easier) to this point which has been hard, but the boot is coming soon. My physical therapy starts soon which I'm anxious to start.

Good luck to you. Although you'll be down for a while, when it's over, you can continue to enjoy your active life style. That's the prize I'm keeping my eye on!

Keep us posted.

Joanne

Texas, USA.

• Posted

Dear Jan, from what I understand you are having a fusion, which is not a bunion removal at all. A fusion is when you have arthritis in the toe joint and not a Hallux Valgus but a Hallux Ridigus. Very Different. Have you asked your surgeon why the fusion and not an implant or a joint replacement, at least with those you would have more movement afterwards. 

Hope it helps and please do not confuse one with the other, totally different operations and procedures.

Regards Susann

• Posted

Good point Susann 1107.

Thanks for pointing out to all of us how easy it is to dish out advice and ideas when we don't know all the details. We have to remember treatment is very individualized.

Joanne

• Posted

You are right Susan, my lump is not a bunion but the result of an arthritic joint. I didn't realise this until I saw the surgeon last week. He advised fusion because he said if I didn't have that the pain would still be there. He also said that there is little movement in the toe joint anyway. I know everyone us different but all I seem to hear are negative comments. Don't do it, you will regret it and so on. I have 2 months to decide 
  • Posted

Susann makes an excellent point. It's easy to ask opinions about what works and what doesn't, and what do you about this, that or the other. Every foot is different, every treatment plan different every surgery different, every recuperation different.

Not saying this site is not helpful. It Is! But....

Be careful out there. It's easy to get misled/confused. Keep the lines of communication open between you and your doctor.

Joanne

• Posted

Hi Jan Have it done .. but be aware it takes along time to get back to normal. I thought I would be skipping down the road after 8 weeks like I had been told by my consultant. I panicked so much as I couldn walk properly it really really hurt everything hurt!! I work full time look after grandchildren plus everything else expected of me. So was terrified I was ruined. However 17 weeks on I can now skip jump hop and run no pain and my foot looks fab. I'm having the other one done in October I am so pleased with it. I made many mistakes. I went back to work too soon. I shouldv had physio as soon as the boot came off.

Your having a fusion so I think that takes longer? Feel free to ask as many questions as you like along the way for your recovery just be prepared it hurts like hell it takes ages get mobility back but is worth it.

• Posted

Thank you Fiona,

Yes I have to have the fusion operation and I am very nervous.  I am collecting as much information as possible so thank you for sharing your experience and good luck for the future. 

Jan 

• Posted

My honest opinion is not to do it your foot will never be the same, if I could make my decision again I wouldn't do it,
  • Posted

Hi Jan, as I said before, a fusion means that the joint is being fused and therefore not mobile anymore. So yes, it will not be the same and certain things you will not be able to do, hence my request in asking for an implant or a joint replacement. However, if these option are either not available through your health insurance or the arthritis as spread so much that it is not possible anymore, than the fusion is the last option to stop the pain. Ask your orthopeadic surgeon about these options, look at the x-ray and have it explained to you and if you feel comfortable with him and his explanation, go for it. There is nothing worse than living with constant pain. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Thank you Susann,  my pain at the moment is not unbearable always, just occasionally when I have been walking a lot or having my feet encased in boots or trainers. I much prefer to be barefoot around the house. However I feel it's getting worse. For this reason I am considering the operation, but I am also thinking maybe it could be delayed a bit longer. I know it's my decision to make ultimately, but opinions seem to be divided for and against. 

Regards

jan

• Posted

Hi Jan,

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 67 and I wish I would have had this bunion of mine fixed years ago! Healing takes longer as you get older, plus there are other complications to consider (bone condition for one). I have another bunion on my right foot. I am thinking about getting that one done once I recover thoroughly from the left one.

My opinion, I wouldn't wait again if it were me.

Good luck,

J

• Posted

Hi Jan, i also have Rigid Hallux, i had the bunion surgery the Lapidus, 6 weeks non weight bearing, it was hell!! now i have rigid hallux which i got after surgery and as you know its debilitating, you cant walk correctly, your off balance, it limits your life, so if i can go back i would not have done the bunion surgery, i did the surgery so i can wear shoes and now i still cant wear shoes, so i was offered the chilectomy which i am thinking about but has no guarantees, then theirs interpositional where you will gain flexibility, their are no quarantees, all surgeries have complications and you may need further surgery, and your feet can be worse or better its a gamble as i see it and a tough call. get a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion, good luck what you decide, i understand your frustration because i am going through the same thing,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.