Failed ablation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Feeling very disappointed at the moment as I was finally given an appointment for a catheter ablation for my SVT last Friday.  Unfortunately they were unable to perform the ablation because they couldn't trigger my symptoms during the procedure - so I'm back to square one!  I get attacks of palpiations of around 250bpm around once or twice a week and they last for hours.  Even after taking 80mgs of Propanolol they continue for 2 hours and without them several hours more.  They always seem to happen when I'm relaxing not exercising.  I'm quite active and do Zumba and Pilates classes and take long walks with my dog and have never had an attack during any of these.  I was wonderinng whether this is why the ablation was unsuccessful as the drugs they gave me made my heart beat very fast, as it would during exercise, but it returned to normal straight away.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I was honestly hoping the operation would make it all go away  sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I understand the frustration as I have had 3 ablations each time unable to trigger the arrythmia (although the 3rd time I had an empirical ablation). I am also fine when in the gym, or during any other strenuous exercises I never get any palpitations etc. so you are not the only one.

It's almost like during the procedure it feels as if it is going to go into SVT but simply wont. 

• Posted

Hi ashj, thanks for your response.  I saw my consultant again last week and he is going to try another ablation in a few months time.  It's disappointing to read that you've had 3 unsuccessful atempts - I imagine if mine doesn't work next time I'll just be put on permanent beta blockers, which I really don't want.  What is an empirical ablation?  Did it stop your arrythmia?
    • Posted

I think 3 isn't very common at all so don't let that discourage you, the 3rd time they explained to me before the procedure that if they could not trigger it they would be able to make some sort of educated guess as to where they think the problem area is and ablate as best they could. 

I'm assuming this plan B option varies between different types of SVT I believe they thought mine was AVNRT. It's been a month since mine and I've been feeling okay, however my episdoes are usually far apart so it may take some time for me to discover if I've been lucky and it's cured, time will tell.

• Posted

Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    • Posted

Thank you, best of luck to you too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.