Failed surgery - options? Reasons?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I had long awaited nhs surgery on Tuesday and have noticed that one of the key veins causing issue is still where it was before the op. looking back the doc seemed very rushed.

I tried to query it with him two days later but was told that he won't be able to comment now as I have been discharged.

I have a young family and a very busy life right now so am obviously very disappointed. Has anyone had a similar experience fold have any thought on accountability or next steps?

Thanks

Tom

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

What was the operation for? The NHS spends £5 billion a year on compensation, but you probably want the problem sorted out. Is it causing you pain?
    • Posted

I really meant to say what sort, stripped veins, VNUS...? 
    • Posted

That is quite a hefty operation. Were you offered any of the newer techniques? I assume you had a general anaesthetic. It does take a while for things to settle down, are you still wearing the stockings? Do you feel better after the operation or are things worse?
    • Posted

Our local doesn't offer any of the newer techniques. Yes it was general.

Am now only wearing a stocking in the day and naturally there are aches and brushing from the op, so I do need this to calm down first, but I can see and press in a vein which was there before...?

• Posted

Have you actually talked to the person who did the op or was it through a minion who was protecting him? I would try and talk to him on the phone or failing that write a letter to him. It would be a good idea to do that as a starter to taking it any further. 

It seems so silly they don't offer the newer techniques throughout the country, as they need local anaesthetic only and can be done virtually anywhere. You would have thought that they would save money. 

• Posted

Hi Tom - which hospital was it? All hospitals should be seeking to offering less invasive treatments..

• Posted

Hi Tom, I can understand your frustration. It's bad enough building up to the op without having problems maybe caused by the surgeon to contend with! It seems the way the NHS works is that you need to start with your GP and explain the problem. If it were me I would also mention at that appointment that I might be seeking legal advice (I am sure your GP and the surgeon will talk together). Hopefully your GP will refer you back to the surgeon so at least you can have the discussion with the guy who performed the op and then take it from there?
    • Posted

With the pressure on the nhs and the lack of fees we pay, next to the difficulties in getting the op for most, I can't help but feel bad at the prospect of the legal route.
  • Posted

Hi Tom, I tend to agree with you that legal action would be my last resort for the reasons you mention. I really meant to suggest that if you mention this option at your appointment with your GP then maybe you are more likely to get a swift response from the surgeon? As an aside my surgeon did mention the option of laser treatment but said that they didn't do this at the treatment centre I attended (Emersons Green which a private company that does ops for the NHS). He suggested that if I wished to investigate this further then I should go back to speak with my GP and see if what options for the laser route might be open to me. I didn't bother as I was happy with the centre I had been referred to and the surgeon I met. I appreciate that the laser treatment may well have been less invasive but I liked the idea that the problem veins would be removed rather than lasers being used to heat the veins until they collapsed. Just my feeling!
    • Posted

Laser EVLA is not the only local anaesthetic treatment around, VNUS closure is also now used which is supposed to be better than laser and also sclerotherapy using foam in the vein. 
  • Posted

Hi, I know there are the other methods you mention but in each case these involve collapsing and sealing the vein - rightly or wrongly I wanted mine removed!
  • Posted

It can take a while for the bulging area to subside. Mine took a few months before it bulge over the knee went away. Remember these veins take years and years to form so it can take a while for the affected area to heal completely.
  • Posted

Hi Tom, I had even worse experience than you. I had 5 unsuccessful v.v operations in the same leg and my incompetent veins are still have not been removed! After each attempted op. my leg is getting worse and worse and now I suffer recurrent thrombophlebitis every 3-4 months. I had two failed op. in Royal Free (including failed Radio-Fr. Ablation under general anaesthetic). I made a complaint but nobody took it seriously and GP sent me to another surgeon in who promised to help me but also during my last op.he said that my vein went to spasm and he couldn’t do the procedure. Now they offered me operation number 6 but I am really worried there will be another failure and I have so many scars already. I am thinking to save money for private treatment.

Could you tell me pls which Hospital you attended?

• Posted

I had Radio Frequency Ablation done privately last month with foam sclerotherapy to get rid of the wiggly veins. It took about twenty minutes using local anaesthetic. I understand the important thing about choosing a surgeon is to get someone who does lots of procedures most of the time. 
    • Posted

Hi - you said you had RF Ablation. Do you recall the name of the device? And do you know the size of your vein bein treated?
    • Posted

Hi - you said you had RF Ablation. Do you recall the name of the device? And do you know the size of your vein bein treated?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.