Fainted when I had my first contraceptive injection.should I do it again?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Today I went to a clinic to get my implant removed because it wasn't working for me. I wanted to try the contraceptive injection as my friend has been raving about it. I am very used to injections and needles etc. I thought it would be a breeze a sharp scratch and no pregnancy for me. So she had me stand up with half my butt showing. JESUS CHRIST. When she put it in I was in so much shock, I felt like someone had stabbed my arse with a knife. She asked me whether I wanted to continue and since the needle was already in I figured it couldn't get any worse and that I'm half way there, so when she injected it I felt the same pain then I started to see black I was going to tell her that I was feeling faint but the next thing I new I was on the ground and the nurse was screaming for help. The needle was still in me so as I was falling the nurse had to act quickly and yank it out. But yeah she did inject me with it so I am covered for 3 months. I'm wondering what other people's experiences were with the injection and how painful it was. I feel like it's the only option left for me, maybe I'll be able to get used to it next time.

Do you think I should have it again?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry this happened to you, not a nice experience!

Typically the depo provera injection does not cause this level of pain, more of a stinging discomfort. I wonder if the needle hit a nerve in your buttock, this happens very rarely! But it would explain the level of pain that you felt.

As it is difficult for us women to find contraception that suits us, My advice would be, if over the next 3 months you are feeling fine on the injection, no side effects etc and you feel it is suiting you then try again..

It is very unlikely that this would happen again, you can ask to lay down the next time so that you feel more relaxed and comfortable, and you will not faint while you are laying down. If you find that it is painful for you the next time, then it could be worth looking at an alternative.

Good luck and take care!

SexualHealthNurse

• Posted

No this has never happened to me after 6-7 years worth of being on the injection, how horrible for you 😞

Have you been warned of the side effects of coming OFF the injection though? I had my lay injection in February, and it's now September, my cycle hasn't returned yet, I'm cramping, exhausted, boobs are sore, mood swings, it's awful!

And can take over a year for cycle to regulate itself.

I wish I had told before or at some point in the last 7 years about this! X

• Posted

I am on the depo injection and find it painless, I think it is a good form of contraception as you don't have to remember to take it every day like a pill and it should take less than 5 minutes. The only negative experience I've had with the depo is weight gain and stretchmarks (I was very underweight, which is why I got so many stretchmarks) but not everyone will experience this. I'm sorry you had this experience, maybe as it was your first time, you prepared for the worst and maybe clenched your bottom which makes it difficult to inject. Make sure you eat before the appointment too.

I definitely think you should have it again, but if the same thing happens I think you should stop.

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.