Fall

Posted , 6 users are following.

told to stop using Zimmer frame and use crutches. Well just had practice and fallen over. Damm things. Really hurt my foot so sitting with ice pack on. If didn't have swelling before will have now. Was also told to ditch cam boot but know next time try out crutches the boot going back on.

cheering myself up with large bar of chocolate 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gill

I have crutches and a zimmer but use neither of them for fear of doing what you have done. Until I have this plaster off I am using a wheelchair to get about but can stand on one leg for about 4 mins. to wash pots or reach into high cupboards.

I am hoping for a boot next week then I will have a go with the crutches if allowed to weight bear without this plaster.

The chocolate soounds lovely.  I don't buy it because I would just eat it until it was all gone!!  Hope your ankle stops hurting with the ice pack.  keep positive - we will all walk again eventually.

• Posted

Chocolate was lovely and yes ate full family size bar. Need something to cheer me up. 

your very brave to reach into cupboards. Well done, haven't attempted anything like that yet.

fall has knock my confidence but tomorrow is another day. Not attempting anything else today.

been a backward week for me. After last week physio haven't been able to flex foot as much as think physio tugged too much. To cap it all scar is now leaking pus so back at doctors for change of dressing. Hoping it's not the metal causing this as last two swabs has shown no infection.

cant wait to be able to bathe again. 

• Posted

😀 Hi Gill  I know what you mean when you say damm thing  about the zimmer , I couldn't get on with the one they gave me it had wheels on the front of it and liked you I too fell over luck early enough I didnt hurt anything I can't use crutches either. Because I've no feeling all down my left side so I had to make do with a walking stick I done the best I could and listened to my body that told me if I was doing things right .

wishing you all the best in your recovery 

• Posted

Had plaster off and told not to weight bear till two weeks later. Was given a cam boot. Week later at physio (only been twice up to now), he said no cam boot and no Zimmer frame but use crutches given. Seems as though your expected to know how to use these things.

was back last week at physio where he pulled and pushed at ankle to the point was going to pass out. Ended off having to lie on bed as went a lovely shade of white, even then he was still tugging and bending foot. 

This week back on Friday but seeing different physiotherapist as he off for four weeks, so hopefully get some different pointers. Reading on here most people seem as though used boot for few weeks after plaster come off. Well Friday will be putting boot on to go. 

• Posted

Hi Gill

chocolate is a great idea I have a bar at the ready.....I'm still in wheelchair and when I StandI I was told to gently put my injured foot down, I can for a few seconds but do it regularily throughout the day. I have my foot out of boot most of the day when I'm not moving around. I think I'm going to a walker when weight bearing fully as the crutches don't work for me. I hate walkers but I have less chance of falling....I think this all depends on a persons age and general stability issues. Whatever works. Keep on, your doing what you can right now - 

enjoy your day 🏃

• Posted

Hi Gil it's me again ,like you I turn to chocolate I also wore Airboot for 6weeks after my plaster cast came off ,up till know I haven't had any physio no idea why!! When my boot came off my metertalsels stated playing up so now I have to have an insole put in my shoe consultant said it it didn't help it would meN another operation  hopefully 

not as major as the fused ankle I had

i looked on line and found a cover that is meant to put over plaster cast etc so one can shower difficult stNding on one leg but very well worth it

• Posted

Hi heather, keep putting off buying cover cos keep thinking just a few more days and things be ok. Think kidding myself.  One bath since 9th November. Making do with wash down. 

I even purchased my own cam boot as better than nhs one, then told more or less not too use. Best purchase by far have been socks without the elastic in top. Was finding ordinary ones were cutting in on swollen ankle. 

I think if I was you would ask your consultant to push for you physio. Mine did and got an appointment a week later. In the meantime there gentle exercises on internet you could try out. 

Bought a exercise bike yesterday. Mainly to try build up withered leg. After chocolate have to pedal twice as far tomorrow. 

• Posted

Good evening Gill. I'm really sorry to read of your fall. The zimmer didn't work for me, I opted for crutches as had these for my last break on my other foot 35 years ago. They take some practice to get used to but I found crutches easier to manage when moving around in spaces with restricted access. I don't think you will have done any damage, but worth getting an X Ray if possible. I think chocolate is the best medicine you can have in an upsetting incident such as yours. Keep us all updated on any news.

• Posted

Hi Gill,

How many weeks post op are you?  When I was told to get out of the boot, I used the walker in the house for about 4 weeks.  I used the boot with the crutches outside. Once, I had some confidence in the house I took the boot off outside.  It's should be done very gradual at your own speed.  I think it's more important to not get hurt again.  My doctor never told me how to do it gradually, he just said your free out of the boot, you don't have to come back, go to PT.  At 16 weeks post op, I wish they had given better info, but it appears none of us are getting clear info.  Rice pudding is my vice.

• Posted

I am now 12weeks post op. I do feel as though your just left to own devices. So far I have three appointments at physio. The first one was given printed exercises and told not to wear boot.2nd one he tried to bend ankle, ended off having to lie down on bed as was going to pass out. Last week all he did was measure how much bend I had in ankle and told to return in two weeks time. Quite disappointed, expectations for physiotherapy was high.

Trying to walk but still can't as ankle so stiff, and painful.

i really feel as though I have forgot how to walk.

Thinking if no improvement by next month may look to see if can go private to see if can get ankle loosen up.

rice seems a healthier vice than mine. 

• Posted

Don't despair Gil, we can't, we just have to forge ahead somehow. I'm at 10 weeks and in so much pain after 3 last visits to PT if her manipulating my ankle to unlock it. It's not working....now I'm at square one. I feel like a guinea pig. I'm going to get a second opinion this week and see my Dr again. My massage and acupuncture did not like what she was doing they don't believe you have to force a injured stuff joint back into place. A friend who had same injury and he said it took months and he followed his own guidelines as the foot will heal and knows what to do. I don't believe my foot is even ready for the next big hurdle yet. I so get your pain and stiffness. I'm having same. Today I'm doing nothing.....at this rate I hope by spring I'm weight bearing.....day by day. I'm sorry this wasn't better news.  Thank God for this forum! 👣💫
    • Posted

Well it is Sunday a day of rest. Also doing nothing today. I am just worried now for events and holidays had pre booked before this happened. Need to be able to walk. Hotel on holiday doesn't have lifts so need to be able to manage one flight of stairs. Hate at present having to depend on everyone. The only thing that improved over last few weeks, I can manage with help to hop down front steps. Coming back in have sit and shuffle backwards the same way I go up the stairs. I rear end not toned after this I'm requesting a refund. 

This site has been a godsend knowing others face same problems.

• Posted

ps. Who do you get message through? Are you paying privately for this? 
    • Posted

I pay private for massage, it's worth it loosening up sore hips and legs. Yes I want a refund too.....going to try and go out tonite for a visit......as far as your holiday you'll be the same if you go or not, so just do whatever to make it work for you. I've got a trip planned in May with stairs, see how I am by then hoping way more than now......slow and steady.......👣
    • Posted

Hi Gill,

I hear your frustration and I get it.  You will progress, but it doesn't ever seem fast enough.  Just keep doing some exercises everyday, mulitple times a day.  If you have too much pain, back off a little. I felt the same way as you, I couldn't imagine that my ankle was going to support me and that I would be able to walk again, but I am walking now at 16 weeks post op.  I'm still rehabing and I still have pain, but I'm progressing and you will too.  I am wondering why you're only seeing PT once every 2 weeks. My initial exercises were pointing and flexing toes, using a belt to stretch toes back, using a stretchy rubber band to stretch foot in all directions, abc's with foot, stationary bike, leg lifts in all directions while lying down.  I was very tired initially and going to bed by 6pm, now I get tired, but able to stay up till 9.  I paid for massages every week.  I found some one that would deep massage the calf, foot and ankle breaking up the stiffness.  The PT does this also.  It is typical that PT manipulates your ankle to loosen up the scar tissue.  It hurts afterwards, but I think it's needed for a few months to get more motion then we get better.  I would consider private PT because it many not take that many appointments.  If you can get in a pool and walk on the bottom and float at the deep end doing some exercises is helpful.  Sometimes public pools will help you access the pool safely.  This is a frustrating time, but it will get better.  Best wishes, Linda

• Posted

1st three appointments with PT, was weekly, gone onto fornightly as no appointments available. The only thing they have done is print out exercises for me to do at home. These I have done under my own steam. Have purchased exercise bike, mainly to build some muscel back into wasted leg. As I don't swim haven't tried the pool. Apart from anything else means putting more onto family to drive me there. They already having to lose work either taking me physiotherapy appointments and twice weekly for dressing changes on one of scars that hasn't healed. Another reason can't go to pool as have to keep scar area dry.

Agree this all frustrating, but encouraging to hear other people's progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.